Search

Monterey/Carmel Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 11:07 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monterey/Carmel Questions

Thinking about a quick weekend getaway to Carmel/Monterey for two. Have visited many times but not for a few years and certainly not during this pandemic. Considering staying at The Gosby or Seven Gables or Green Gables. Possibly Vagabond house in Carmel. Any thoughts? Will be dining for one meal at Roys. Any other recommendations for good outdoor dining?
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How soon are you going? I don't think the dining situation is stable enough to make specific recommendations. You can peruse the link below to see which Carmel restaurants are open (now anyway) and what they're offering in terms of patio and/or takeout. FWIW, I like the patio at 7th&Dolores, but their current menu is very limited.

The town of Carmel is considering allowing restaurants to place tables in street parking spaces which should make reservations a bit easier, but that experience in my beach town in SoCal is a mixed bag of good/bad, not only in terms of eating but also in terms of Covid safety.... I don't know about Carmel, but in my town I won't go to the downtown/pier area on weekends anymore. Just too dang crowded.

https://www.carmelcalifornia.com/res...estaurants.htm
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Friends just got back from Monterey and PG; however, they go during the week when it is less crowded/expensive. They felt comfortable with the safety measures in restaurants. They go about once a month and stay at a budget motel in PG.
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 09:41 AM

Most Carmel restaurants have added parklets in the street utilizing parking spaces. We've dined outdoors at La Balena, Basil, Anton & Michel and Stationaery and felt comfortable. We chose existing patio seating as I'm not of fan of eating where there's a steady stream of people walking by. Seventh & Dolores is one of our favorites as well but we haven't been since they reopened. I believe they've set up tables in their parking lot in addition their existing patio. Weekends have been busy and we only venture into town on weekdays now. Mask compliance has been good from what I've observed downtown. I haven't been to PG or Monterey in months except to shop at Whole Foods.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 11:10 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Booked 7 Gables this weekend with meals at Roys and Passionfish. Tend to have breakfast at the Old Monterey Cafe when in the area. Any place for breakfast in Pacific Grove as good for breakfast?
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by mjs
Thanks for the information. Booked 7 Gables this weekend with meals at Roys and Passionfish. Tend to have breakfast at the Old Monterey Cafe when in the area. Any place for breakfast in Pacific Grove as good for breakfast?
You'll enjoy Pacific Grove! We were there in late June and stayed for two nights at The Gosby House (see my tripadvisor review discussing good Covid 19 protocols taken there). Out and about we saw a lot of mask wearing. We enjoyed outdoor dining at Peppers Mexicali Cafe...an easy walk from The Gosby House. For breakfast, let me recommend the Red House Cafe which is across the street-ish from Passionfish. The Gosby House serves breakfast so we didn't eat there the last time. If you've been to Katy's Place in Carmel for breakfast and liked the food and ambiance, you'll love Red House Cafe. Don't miss the little nursery next door and gift shop that is actually under the floorboards of the restaurant. Back across the street is a coffee shop with a bookstore at the back...always nice to browse and buy. On our June visit we stumbled on Pavel's Backerei a few blocks from The Gosby House. We had our eyes on two heavenly-looking chocolate croissants that were purchased by the person in front of us in line...alas, they were the last two. Get their early in the morning for best selections! A good friend whose family goes back five generations in PG endorses Toastie's as her favorite breakfast joint. Have a great time!
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 03:13 PM

For PG breakfast we love First Awakenings on the border of Monterey and PG, a block from the Coastal Trail near the Aquarium. From Seven Gables, in fair weather, it'd be a nice 20 minute oceanside side walk along the trail.. Haven't been since last December. There's a lovely outdoor patio area. Have a wonderful trip! (Note: Haven't had breakfast at Old Monterey Cafes so can't compare.)
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 09:33 AM

We're going over Labor Day Weekend, staying in a private home and will mostly cook for ourselves.

For outdoor dining, we like Stix ( or Sticks) at Spanish Bay. Overlooks the golf course, the food is delicious and in the early evening the bagpiper plays, kinda fun.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 11:12 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Just to report that we had a good time In Monterey. Weather was cool as and partly cloudy as expected. Very busy and 101 had a lot of traffic. Do not however usually visit during the summer so am not clear as to if this is normal. The 7 Gables was nice and we felt that the COVID precautions were good. Breakfast at the Old Monterey cafe was good as usual although all seating outside on the sidewalk. Dinner at Passionfish was also good and completely outside and an easy 5-10 minute walk from the 7 Gables. Met our friends from Santa Barbara for lunch at Roys. Tables outside with good social distance. Food excellent. Only wished for some overhead covering as we all got a little too much sun.
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for reporting back.!
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 12:51 PM

As MichelleY said, thanks mjs, for coming back to report on your trip! Glad you enjoyed it. I'm jealous (-;
(We eagerly await re-opening--which has been delayed-- of the Aquarium, and Hearst Castle, for a mini road trip Monterey Peninsula to Cambria.)

Last edited by CaliNurse; Aug 16th, 2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for reporting back. Carmel has now taken to posting signs in the median along Ocean Avenue that there's $100 fine for NOT wearing a mask. From the 95% wearing masks, I think that did the trick.