Norway best time of summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2020, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that "best time" questions are fraught with uncertainties as to weather. But given best guess, can you Norway experts give me a hand here.
I am planning a trip on Hurtigurten Expedition for 2021 after my plans were destroyed for 2020. I am not interested in northern lights. My window is May through September. We are late 70's (hate to say it), and not into climbing, hiking, etc. I just want a very calm nice experience of the Norwegian coast line including Nord Capp.
So the age old question, as a first timer to Norway, what is the best of times weather wise in this window? I have traveled enough to know the problem of this kind of question, but just looking for some guidance of some kind and some discussion.
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer not to travel in the summer, but I did take Hurtigruten in August and the weather was more Mediterranean than North Sea. It wasn't until we were past the North Cape that it turned grey and misty. (I went from Bergen to Kirkenes.)
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 02:36 AM

There no real 'best time'. Statistically July is the warmest dryest month, but this year July has been record cold and wet in the south and June was the best month. While up in the north there was snow on the ground until June and July has seen some unexpectedly good weather.By mid August you can expect autumnal weather - occasional wind and rain storms - but again it can vary tremendously. September can be a good month with autumnal colours, but often rainy. By October we are definitely heading into winter in the north and in mountains in the south. There are big differences in climate between west (very rainy) and east in the south, and different weather again in the north. In all months you can be lucky or unlucky with the weather.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

These replies are more or less what I expected, but is actually helping me settle in on when to plan the trip. Thank you very much.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 01:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We took a Hurtigruten ship from Bergen to Kirkenes in August. The weather was nice once we left Bergen where it had rained for two days. We put on heavy fleece jacket,Merino will liners, hats and gloves during the second half of the trip, above the Arctic Circle. Most days we sat outside to watch the beautiful scenery we were passing.
We saw NordKap, a large bluff which not a highlight for us after all the beautiful coastal scenery.