Search

Help with GTNP & Yellowstone itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2020, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with GTNP & Yellowstone itinerary

Hi Everyone,

Wife and myself are planning our 1st trip to GTNP & Yellowstone in the last week of August and would need some help with the itinerary. We are definitely more interested in viewing wildlife and hiking is not necessarily a must do activity in this trip. None of the booking reservations are made and are completely flexible. Our current plans are:
Day 1: Stay in Jackson after arriving late afternoon.
Day 2: Day tour of GTNP from Jackson and stay in Jackson
Day 3: Day tour of Yellowstone from Jackson and stay in Jackson
Day 4/5: Stay at Old Faithful Inn / Canyon lodge inside the park
Day 6/7: Stay at Lake Yellowstone hotel inside park

I would need some suggestions in deciding whether we should take a day tour from Jackson on Day 3 or drive down to West Yellowstone, stay there and take a day tour from west Yellowstone instead. From what I read so far; most of the wildlife will be around Lamar valley & Hayden valley and for which, Jackson/ West Yellowstone would provide us more time to explore the park through a day tour operator.

Also once we explore the park through a tour operator - which of the lodges within the park would you suggest to stay? We are looking to be close in range to places like Lamar valley / Hayden valley and also explore other areas within Yellowstone. From our internet explorations, old faithful inn seems to be the center point to most activities within Yellowstone, but we are looking for your suggestions as to what are other alternatives and places we should not miss during this visit.

Thanks in advance;
Shanky
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 09:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think returning to Jackson on Day 3 accomplishes little to nothing. I find the town fairly boring and especially since your time is short & the driving distances can be long, suggest you stay anywhere within the park you find availability that night. My favorite of the places I've stayed is Mammoth so, though it's on the opposite side of the park from where you're coming, at the far north, if you can rearrange things to include it I don't think you'll be sorry. I also enjoyed Lake & Old Faithful. I don't think you need an organized tour.

My trip report is here: https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/por...-s-yellowstone
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would stay in both parks and only in Jackson if it makes sense on arrival or before departing flight.
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 12:33 PM

Cooke City is the closest base for Lamar Valley. Either Lake or Canyon is convenient for Hayden Valley as it's between the two. Since Dunraven Pass is closed this and next year, there's no convenient location for both Lamar and Hayden. It's a fairly long detour around.

There are fewer in park options open this year. Only the east wing of Old Faithful Inn will open and there's no access to the lobby/restaurant/common areas.

I wouldn't day trip to Yellowstone from Jackson. Grand Teton itself is very wildlife rich. If you're interested in a guided wildlife tour from Jackson, I'd focus on GTNP. For a guided wildlife tour of Yellowstone, I'd go from Gardiner or West Yellowstone.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the suggestions - will try to take the organized Yellowstone tour from there and will look in to staying at Mammoth springs property.