Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help! 4 days to drive from Las Vegas to Montana.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Last minute trip to meet friends in Big Sky. Deciding to fly into Las Vegas because cheap and thought would spend 3-4 days driving to Big Sky. This is definitely an abbreviated first trip out west so I want to keep it realistic, stress free but also want to make a few key stops to capture the beauty. Total of 8 days. Would like to only spend 3-4 days driving as to leave time to spend with friends in Big Sky. Any help would be fantastic. We will need a couple hotels on the way and prefer higher end to make it more special! We are departing the end of July. Thank you!
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 05:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The ticket to Las Vegas would have to be free for me to choose this road trip over landing closer to Big Sky and spending time in Yellowstone/Tetons.

I don't know what you would consider a "high-end hotel," but IMO there are no high-end hotels between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. It's a 6+ hour drive from LV to SLC. In SLC, the Grand American is certainly "grand" but nothing I would choose. It's huge (700+ rooms) but has lots of amenities.

There are several luxury hotels and resorts in Jackson, Jackson Hole, Teton Village and any of these locations is hands-down more interesting and scenic than SLC. LV to Jackson is 14+ hours. Or you could possibly fly LV to Idaho Falls and then drive 2 hours to Jackson. Allegiant Air operates that route a few days a week at very low fares... $60 one-way.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you really want to see the beautiful sites you could:

Day 1- leave Vegas early, drive to Zion NP spend most of the day then go to Bryce NP, see sunset and spend the night.
Day 2- See sunrise. In Bryce then drive to Jackson, WY for the night.
Day 3- Drive towards Yellowstone, stopping to see the Tetons here and there. Spend the night in Yellowstone.
Day 4- See the highlights in Yellowstone then head to Big Sky.

of course this is very rushed, but you will see beautiful sites and can plan a more relaxed trip for next time.