Flight from NY to Bangkok

Old Jul 16th, 2020, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight from NY to Bangkok

I have a flight in March that leaves NY at 1:30 AM and arrives in Bangkok at 5:00 AM. Going over the pole, will this flight be mostly in the dark?
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 03:52 PM

If you are worrying about sleeping most of the shades will probably be down to keep the plane dark except for meals. I always have a sleep mask with me when I fly so I can catch a little sleep even during day hours.

I have had night flights with China Airlines (CI) many years ago. This airline left JFK late at night going through Alaska to Taiwan and on to Bangkok. (You are leaving in the middle of the night and arriving around dawn Bangkok time.) What airline are you using?

(Hopefully by March entry requirements for Thailand will be back to normal. There may be additional requirements for some sort of medical insurance good overseas. If this Virus is still a problem maybe a recent virus check too.)

Good luck.

Last edited by Moderator3; Jul 20th, 2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Remove Wuhan
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 06:49 PM

"(Hopefully by March entry requirements for Thailand will be back to normal. There may be additional requirements for some sort of medical insurance good overseas. If this Wuhan Virus is still a problem maybe a recent virus check too.)"

It's not going to be easy to get into Thailand anymore. My Thai friends had mentioned that they hoped to see me again in December 2020, but this was a few months after I had gotten home from the region in Feb 2020 as I'm usually there from part of December to part of February. . I mentioned then that I probably won't get back for at least 2 years depending on this Wuhan-Corona virus situation. But, even if it's then, I don't see that it's going to be easy to freely travel around the region anymore. And supposedly the T-8 health certificate is required for everyone now and supposedly expires 14 days after entry into the country.

I wonder how people will be able to move around to other countries of the region of which might have different health, entry requirements. I'm usually in Bangkok for three weeks then on to Malaysia for a while and then on to Singapore for around two weeks before flying home and sometimes other countries in the region during around a 6-week period. So, will that mean that if one has such a movement pattern that one will need to have a negative virus test result and a current health certificate/paperwork before entering each country and possibly need to get tested overseas, depending on how long one is traveling, in order to move onto the next country? It's no longer going to be easy to get around.

https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/...m-in-thailand/

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Jul 17th, 2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 09:30 PM

By Mrch there should be more concrete guidelines about who will be admitted.
Testing 72 hours before travel, certificates and insurance are likely to be required....and places like the USA are likely to be well down on any list of countries accepted at all.
I'd be reluctant to book at present.

Last edited by khunwilko; Jul 18th, 2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 11:42 PM

It's going to be real interesting to see how folks will be tested for the virus and then guaranteed to get the results back in time to fly and then meet the 72-hour deadline when depending on where one lives, one can't even get a test under normal circumstances. And if one can get a test, the results aren't going to be coming back that quickly.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

This trip involves going to Thailand, Laos and Viet Nam. Wonder if each country will require separate testing. I'm thinking March 2021 may be too early to do this.
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Clousie
This trip involves going to Thailand, Laos and Viet Nam. Wonder if each country will require separate testing. I'm thinking March 2021 may be too early to do this.
I've been vacationing in S.E. Asia regularly now since the late 1990s as I love the region. However, since Corona virus broke out, I really have no idea as to when I'll get back and personally I'm definitely not thinking of any such plans for 2021, even if the countries in the region open up to present-banned countries from entering. Things are way too up in the air.

I'm in contact regularly with friends in the region. And as for Thailand, if the T-8 health certificate expires in 14 days , then I would assume that one only gets 14 days in the country unless one is required to get re-tested while in the country and get a new T-8 issued there. Plus, one usually gets up to 30 days in Thailand, but the T-8 is only good for 14 days? And if one needs to get retested before either entering new countries or wanting to stay in Thailand longer, then how much will it cost and how long will it take to get the test results back in order to move on to the next country? If folks need to get retested, I can just imagine the crowds of people.

There's also the possible horror of entering a country with a negative test result and then contracting the virus there and then what happens? Does one end up in a 14-day quarantine in that country before being able to move on? I went into voluntary, self-imposed quarantine the day I got home in Feb 2020, but I was at home in my condo, not some foreign government-issued quarantine center. I quarantined myself as I wanted to make sure that I had not contracted Corona virus. So, it was a public health issue for me. Thank goodness I was fine.

Due to a lot of unanswered questions, it's definitely not my definition of a stress free vacation, so in the meantime, my friends in the region and I will keep in touch by regular e-mail. Plus, I'm glad that I survived from Dec 2019-Feb 2020 without getting infected with Corona virus while in the region as it hit there way back then and I was in and out of a lot of airports and on a lot of airplanes. There were also a lot of crowds of people being that it was the Christmas seasons, Western New Year season, and Chinese New Year season. For me, the Corona virus situation needs to settle down before I fly anywhere, even within my own country not less to someone else's county.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Moderator3; Jul 20th, 2020 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Remove Wuhan references
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 06:40 AM
Forum Moderator

I have removed references to Wuhan. If you want to get political please do it in the Lounge, not on a travel thread.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Clousie
I have a flight in March that leaves NY at 1:30 AM and arrives in Bangkok at 5:00 AM. Going over the pole, will this flight be mostly in the dark?
I think it would be dark outside most of the way but you would probably see sunlight, if not the sun, on the horizon for part of it.

I doubt that you have such a flight. Thai cancelled their nonstop and going through a connecting city would take hours longer. But lets suppose you could do it. Here would be your approximate flight path from New York JFK to BINP (Santa Clause International, the pole) to Bangkok.

Great Circle Mapper

That map also shows the return from BKK to JFK on a great circle that is only 26 miles shorter than going via the pole.

Right now, Bangkok is 11 hours ahead of NY and your arrival time would be at 4 PM EDT in NY. The flight time would be 14.5 hours. That is too fast. If it is in early March (before 2 AM on the 14th, I think) then the departure would be on standard time and the travel time would be 15.5 hours. I think the actual flight time would be an hour longer than that, but lets say 16 hours.

When you got to BINP, the North Pole, your trip would be about 40% complete, That would about 6.5 hours in or 8AM in NY EST or 2PM in London (GMT+1) or 8PM in Bangok.

The sun would be a bit south of the equator (i.e. in first half of March before the solar equinox) but you would be at 30,000 ft altitude.

So I think you might see sunlight on the horizon at some point. But dark for at least the first 2 hours and for the last 6+ hours. Dark most of the way if not all the way. Maybe sunlight on horizon for the last half hour.

If you could find a flight simulator or solar terminator animation then that would help visualize it.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Jul 20th, 2020 at 12:10 PM.