Travel from UK to California mid October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We booked a trip of a lifetime with our teenagers to fly to SFO on 16th October this year and do a Cali road trip. I'm currently finding travel advice tricky to understand regarding the USA.

Am I right in thinking, that unless President Trump removes his latest 'proclamation?' that we will be unable to apply for an ESTA and indeed, not be allowed to travel to the USA at all this year?

Should I start cancelling everything stress:) or sit tight and keep my fingers crossed?

I apologise if this is a silly question, and I thank you in advance for any advice regarding the rules as they stand currently.
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 07:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is no way to tell unfortunately -- but October is almost certainly too soon -- you will likely have to cancel. I'd re-book everything for next year if I were you. Very little chance things will be anywhere near normal for many months.

(I was supposed to travel from California [not 'Cali' BTW ] to the UK in September (originally scheduled for July, changed to Sept, now cancelled completely)
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 07:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
. . . and its not a silly question
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 07:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Rules & logistics, as I see it, are secondary to the possibility of infection. I have to assume that travel as a family group leaves all more vulnerable. This issue is far from over and, the danger aside, I'd be unlikely to enjoy a trip with the variety of concerns dictating choices all along the way. This is no time to travel in the US, I'm sorry to say. As janisj has said, cancel for now, wait & watch for a better time in the future.

From another Californian.
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 09:10 AM

Aside from who is or is not allowed into the country from abroad, who doesn't live here, I can't imagine why you would want to do this. You are going to expose yourself to the virus a lot on such a lot air trip, and California has one of the worst current rates of infection and transmission. Surges in Fall may be even worse from predictions and views of current behavior and patterns.

If this is your "trip of a lifetime" no way would I do it this year, regardless if you are allowed in or not. I'd wait until there is a vaccine or a miracle.

Sounds like you are talking a lot of money also. I could see it more if it weren't a lot of money and just a couple people and you figured you'd give it a try and if not good, leave. You can do that more on a road trip (I just did in fact due to situations encountered, and it just wasn't fun), but not when you are doing major flights and traveling so far.

As far as travel for British citizens, I don't think info should be hard to understand, it just changes depending on stats/situation just like it does in Europe. Here's the info, seems clear to me
https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

Last edited by Moderator1; Jul 13th, 2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: deleted political comment
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 10:41 AM

No, it doesn't look like you will be able to enter the US nor get an ESTA.

As far as getting refunds or vouchers for your flights (presumably the biggest expense), I would check the website of your airline first. You may need to wait til closer to the flight time to qualify for a refund, but it's worth asking.

I don't think anything is likely to change on this end other than closures being reimposed since COVID rates of infection are increasing..

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 13th, 2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 11:57 AM

Actually, things are getting worse here in the SF Bay Area. Many places in San Francisco were scheduled to reopen today - but that was cancelled by the SF mayor last week when she realized that the virus infection was not decreasing like it was expected to do.

I cancelled a trip to Scotland in May and one to France in Sept. I'm sticking close to home (near SFO airport) these days, and am only "going out" to get groceries and other necessities. Much of my shopping is via Amazon now. We are doing very short day-trips by car (not getting out of the car). I am backing off on a planned trip to Northern Calif (Trinity area) and Oregon because of the lack of progress on the virus.

Cancel this year plan on 2021.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 12:24 PM

Actually Newsom (our Governor) just announced at his news conference an hour or so ago that he is rolling back stuff that had previously been allowed to open in many counties such as indoor dining, gyms, hair and nail salons and other personal services.Most museums are closed and the Disneyland reopening was scrubbed (Disneyword reopened partially but Florida just reported a one day total of new Covid cases of 15,300 so that may not last long).
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 06:53 AM

If this is the trip of a lifetime, you are best served to reschedule it for next year. October is too soon, our kids in CA are most likely not going back to classrooms in September. We have cancelled two trips so I understand both the mental and physical process. Best wishes from California.