Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how to split nights mykonos v. santorini?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2020, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning our next trip, whenever that may actually get to be with COVID. We would have 5 nights to spend between Mykonos and Santorini (flying into 1 island and out of the other). We aren't lay-on-the-beach kind of people, but we love visiting local sites or ruins, taking photos (my husband is a professional photojournalist), wandering old towns, shopping and spending time in local cafes just watching the world go by. We recognize it is probably not enough time to see each island well, but we want to get a flavor of each for this trip. We are figuring 2 nights on one island and 3 on the other. How would you split your time and why? Many thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 02:04 PM

I’ve been to both a couple of times each, much prefer the more traditional Paros and Naxos, but you won’t have time to add another island. Stay on Mykonos long enough to get to the archeological site on Delos, then the rest of your time on Santorini. Remember that two nights on an island equals only one full day.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 03:12 PM

If you are just considering nights, I would prefer three nights on Santorini for the views and the Sunsets. There are also restaurants and places to walk in the evening.
There are other things to consider though, variables like flights from/to Athens? Times? Travel between the two? Ferry? Do you want to visit Delos from Mykonos?
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 04:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
On Santorini you should visit Akrotiri the excavations of the ancient Bronze Age Mycean town, beautiful. It is only reason we returned to Santorini, to visit the site which had been closed during our first trip to Greece.It was buried by a volcanic eruption and has has beautiful frescoes.
Also, go down to Amoudi Bay for lunch or dinner, below Oia.
When you return to Greece, you can visit the islands of Paros and Naxos for more authentic Greek experiences.