Your favorite National Park

Old Jun 26th, 2020, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your favorite National Park

I have been to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon and loved them both. Would like to see a couple more. Where would you recommend for beautiful landscapes without a lot of hiking. Close to 70, summer or fall. What’s your favorite. Thankyou .
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 03:51 PM

Mt Rainier, the Olympics, the North Cascades and Mt St Helens all in WA are amazing for hiking. Crater Lake down in Oregon is beautiful and a must see IMO.
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 03:54 PM

Oops I misread and thought you said a lot of hiking. The North Cascades is best seen via hiking and more so the longer/harder ones. The others have a lot to offer with easy access though. For the Olympics you need to do a lot of driving.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 09:05 AM

When you say hiking, do you mean climbing or vertical trails to some extent, or do you just mean walking? A lot of people talk about hiking and they are just walking more or less on level ground, so just wondered.

A lot of national parks that are more temperate are forests and mountains, of course, so I think mainly hiking is the idea (or some other sport). Now I don't exactly have a favorite as I haven't been to that many, but the ones I have, I did do some hiking so doesn't matter.

However, I would think Sequoia National Park in CA would fit your bill, those big trees are pretty amazing. I think the largest tree in the world is there. There is also Redwood National Park up north near Eureka but I haven't been that far north in California. Of course there are many in Alaska (like Denali) but I haven't been there so can't comment on that idea, I'm sure they are beautiful but it's more challenging to get there. A lot of people like those Alaska cruises for the sights, but not sure how I'd feel about that right now, of course.

I would also suggest Joshua Tree in So CA. Now that is going to be way too hot in summer, but would work in late Fall, like November should be around 70 in afternoon. October isn't bad but would be more like 80. It can get down to 40-50 at night then though.

I'd also look at some of those in Utah, like Arches. Again, summer is hot but Fall would work, Oct-Nov.

I don't know of any national park with temps around 70 in summer
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 09:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yosemite but not in Summer or early Fall. Too crowded and often too hot/dry with the chance of diminished visibility due to wild fires in the area. One can see and do a TON of stuff without any serious hiking. Lots of essentially flat walks and amazing scenery. But that would optimally be between end of March and end of May for the roaring waterfalls and smaller crowds.

Zion is good for a short non-hiking visit. Last Fall I stayed 2 nights in the Lodge on the valley floor with my cousin who is a non-hiker and sometimes a non-walker due to sciatica etc. We had a great time -- shuttle trams (not currently running AFAIK but probably will resume when things get back to 'normal') will take you to all the points of interest/viewpoints an the entire valley floor is almost flat. My cousin did very short walks and lounged around the lodge area while I walked about 6-ish miles in aggregate each day. The weather and Fall colors were beautiful.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 09:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Didn't see Christina's post -- the Redwoods in far NW CA would be great. Don't fixate on the 'National Park' bit though -- the best stands and scenery are really in the several California State Parks in the region. The National Park is fine, but got essentially the 'left overs' because the state parks already existed when the NP was established.

I would not recommend Joshua Tree in any way unless you mean late Fall. All Summer through September, even early Oct it can be deadly hot.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 09:19 AM

Yosemite, actually. Since they now have a day permit system (which should have been done ages ago). You can see the Valley from the overlooks and pullouts.

Also Zion NP of which quite a bit can be seen from the bottom of the Canyon. Also now under a permit system.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 03:07 PM

Yellowstone by a long way. Acadia my second choice.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 03:30 PM

Of the 46 U.S. National Parks I've visited, my top three are Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Yosemite -- so I recommend the latter to be on your list. It's stunning any time of the year, but best in the spring when the waterfalls are flowing. Enter the Valley through the Wawona Tunnel -- and then IMMEDIATELY pull over, as you'll have trouble watching the road as your eyes are overwhelmed. I am NOT joking about this.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 08:35 PM

@PaulRabe have you been to any National Parks along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail? If so, would you recommend them?
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 04:39 AM

Your question is like asking what is your favorite child for me. I love Grand Canyon and Yellowstone and if you asked which two to see those would be the two.

As to which to see next, that depends on what other kinds of places you have seen. I love Arches and Canyonlands for a southwest fix in the spring or fall, but not during the summer or winter (too hot or too cold). Likewise I would visit Cape Cod national seashore or the Everglades in spring or fall but not in summer or winter ( too crowded)

I would avoid Zion and Bryce in the summer because of crowds, but have enjoyed both during the other three seasons although there was snow in Bryce,but if you are just looking from the pull offs, and the road has been cleared it is spectacular.

i would only visit Death Valley in the winter and find it spectacular too.

The California coast has always been great as has the Atlantic coast from Virginia to Florida, but I have seldom gon in the summer tourist season.

If you have not spent time near the ocean, pick a coast. If you have not seen the spectacular southwest, you can’t miss with Arches and Canylnlands and/or Bryce and Zion. Make it after Labor Day and not when Utah has their school break.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 06:55 AM

have you been to any National Parks along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail?
Having hiked and backpacked almost 1600 miles of the A.T., these two parks are definitely on my list. I've been to the Great Smokey Mountains twice, and to Shenandoah (literally) more times than I can count.
I recommend both for nature and (relatively) unspoiled scenery.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRabe
Of the 46 U.S. National Parks I've visited, my top three are Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Yosemite -- so I recommend the latter to be on your list. It's stunning any time of the year, but best in the spring when the waterfalls are flowing. Enter the Valley through the Wawona Tunnel -- and then IMMEDIATELY pull over, as you'll have trouble watching the road as your eyes are overwhelmed. I am NOT joking about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOi...A&index=8&t=0s

^^This^^ I was in the 6th grade at science camp at Camp Green Meadows near Yosemite, June 1968. We had a field trip to Yosemite for the day and I sat in the front of the bus. When we emerged from the Wawona Tunnel, the view was so shockingly beautiful. I have never forgotten it. This is a must for a first-time visitor to Yosemite.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 12:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Gettysburg! If you go, hire a licensed guide to take you around in your car, if that is possible at this time. Fascinating morning, which I detailed below.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...of-gettysburg/

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What PaulRabe said. Of the 35 or so times I've been to Yosemite, most of the time (but not all) hitting that spot as you exit the tunnel, gives me the biggest thrill EVERY SINGLE TIME. It takes my breath away!

Summer or Fall, it's going to be hot (generally) . . . really hot, which is terrific if you want to river raft (river float to be more exact), as the river is ice cold.

My long ago memory of Yellowstone is that it is equal to Yosemite, if not a tad better. But I've only been once.

For what you want, however, at the time you want it, Crater Lake. Yes, it's a mile hike down and hike back up, but it's a switchback trail, and doesn't take long at all, even with plenty of stops.

This is said from someone who HATES to hike.
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Very cool
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

What great recommendations. We haven’t went yet. I had some health issues, then covid. Considering sw Utah. Zion, Arches etc. Fly to Vegas tour a few days then drive down to Chandler, Az to see relatives. IIs there a senior trip report for that area already. 70+ ?

Last edited by jhagerman64; Sep 5th, 2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 12:22 PM

Arches has easy access to many of its arches:
https://flic.kr/p/vjJ92d https://flic.kr/p/vmZUpD https://flic.kr/p/v5mg2q
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We loved Arches and Canyonlands - much preferred our January visit to our April visit, but we're hikers.