Search

Costa rica

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2020, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa rica

Earlier this year I was scheduled to go to costarica on may. Due to covid 19 I was no longer able to go. Iam aware that many things have opened in Costarica as well as covid 19 cases. I am of costa rican background. I am in constant conntact with family of when the country might open international borders. I ended up using my credit to book a flight for dec 4 of this year. Does anyone think or no of possibly the country opening up by that time. I hope i dont have to cancel again and have to get credit. Its postive that other places are opening up. Any info helps. Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 07:01 AM

Jeff Costa Rica is a good source of information. See his last post. The latest update was that things were going to be closed through the end of June and then further updates would be given. I'm sure many business are looking to reopen since so much of the economy depends on tourism. Hope you are able to make it.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 03:11 PM

Who can predict anything at this point? I think you've done everything you can do. Pick a date in the future and hope it works out for you to travel. If it doesn't, you deal with it then. I sure hope you can travel in December.

The borders are scheduled to reopen on June 30, but there has been an increase in numbers of cases in the north. The Arenal area is being hit right now. Does that mean the government will extend the border closings? Maybe.

Costa Rica is doing something right to keep its numbers lower.
population 5 million
1,744 cases
12 deaths

Panama
population 4 million
20,000 cases
437 deaths

Or compare that to a comparable state or county in the US:

Harris County, TX, where Houston is:
population 4.7 million
16,000 cases
275 deaths
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 03:31 AM

The Minister of Health discussed the reopening of tourism yesterday. He said it will be very gradual. They're not going to one day just say, okay, everybody can come. He said they're looking at a lot of options, none of which he would commit to until firm decisions have been made. There could be mandatory testing, not just a temperature check, for all arriving visitors. He did commit to saying that the reopening will take place on a country-by-country basis. Those countries that have the situation under control will be the first to be allowed back. I don't think that bodes well for US visitors being able to return soon. He also hinted that the border closure could extend beyond June 30.
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Jeff_Costa_Rica;17117135]The Minister of Health discussed the reopening of tourism yesterday. He said it will be very gradual. They're not going to one day just say, okay, everybody can come. He said they're looking at a lot of options, none of which he would commit to until firm decisions have been made. There could be mandatory testing, not just a temperature check, for all arriving visitors. He did commit to saying that the reopening will take place on a country-by-country basis. Those countries that have the situation under control will be the first to be allowed back. I don't think that bodes well for US visitors being able to return soon. He also hinted that the border closure could extend beyond June 30.[/QUOT

Old Jun 20th, 2020, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I have seen that the country is having more covid 19 cases. Hopefully they do open. In case if they do not open i might just have to go to other places that are starting to open. Thanks for the info. Still hoping that Dec they open.
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 09:19 PM

Me too. Your scheduled trip is still more than five months away. Anything can happen ... including an improvement in the situation. Let's hope!
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 03:12 AM

It's interesting you reference Harris because that's my county, and I don't know anyone who has it. They just instituted a policy that masks are now required in public buildings since our numbers are on the rise. It was suggested before but not required.
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 03:17 AM

I was looking for a county that's about the same population as Costa Rica. That was all.
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 03:23 PM

I understand that - just crazy that we don't know a soul who has had it. Counting our blessings. We were raised to a red level alert today. Things reopened too soon.
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 07:55 PM

I see your case numbers are on the rise. I am glad the state has called a halt to the reopening. Stay healthy and safe!

I did start a new thread on how Costa Rica plans to open up tourism. Some measures were announced today. It doesn't sound like Americans will be allowed back soon.