Hello Dolley - Happy Birthday! Our Visit to Montpelier

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the days of travel (2018), we visited Montpelier, the home of James and Dolley Madison. Since today is Dolley Madison's 252nd birthday ... she doesn't look a day older than 250 ... I thought I'd put out the trip report for that day. We actually enjoyed the tour at Montpelier better than the one at Jefferson's Monticello. My draft with verbiage is gone with history, but, if interested here is link to trip report on our morning in Montpelier and our afternoon in Washington DC. Happy birthday Dolley!!! The picture below is of me is with the happy couple.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...nding-farmers/

Old May 21st, 2020, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belated happy birthday to Dolley.

Montpelier is a fascinating spot. My husband and I toured the house in 2017 and last fall we stopped by for a quick BBQ lunch.
The grounds are open now during the COVID crisis but of course all the buildings are closed.
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have been in the habit of spending a spring week in Massanutten every year (until this year). We happened upon the old Madison place just as the foundation began its restoration (and back when the "visitor center" was just a shack a ways away from the actual site). It's been fascinating to see the changes every year, including when it was gutted and you could see inside the walls and where the duPonts had added on. Now, of course, it's beautifully restored and offers a wealth of historic education and viewing.

This year's visit was planned for late March, which of course did not happen. We are rescheduled for late June, which I suspect also won't happen. When we do finally make it up there, we look forward to our Montpelier visit especially.