Advice on Destination in Greece

Old May 12th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Destination in Greece

Since we can't travel right now, I have been planning my family trip for next year. I'm hoping for some advice on the best destination in Greece for a group of 20, give or take a few people. I've never been and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the choices! I want a location that is easy to get to, doesn't require us to rent cars once there, and has beach access. Any advice from those of you who have been to Greece? This will be our third big family trip and so far we've had a great time on our trips and we can't wait to go again!
Old May 12th, 2020, 09:31 PM

When you say easy to get to it highly depends on where from. Most/all the larger islands have airports with frequent flights from the major EU cities. If you're coming from the US you'll need to connect someplace.

Even the largest islands aren't so large you'd need a car. Just pick a spot and base out of there. Bus or cabs would handle what limited moves you want to make.

Picking an island depends on what you're interested in. Is it only the beach? Define the sort of beach you like and use that to search.

Sandy beach with loungers and all the other features? Or a deserted beach with nothing?

What else do you want to do?

The more you think about your trip the easier the selection becomes.
Old May 13th, 2020, 08:34 AM

I would recommend you check out these islands: Zakynthos, Corfu, and Rhodes and see what you prefer more.

Zakynthos would fit you best if you're an environmentalist and wildlife lover. The place offers gorgeous geological and historical sites. The north and west coasts lead down to spectacular views over the sea.

In Corfu, you can find beautiful beaches and a relaxed island atmosphere. If you're looking for some Greek culture and Italian inspired cuisine, here's the place to be.

Rhodes has the most popular nightlife of all the Greek islands. Check out here beach Plimmiri.
Old May 15th, 2020, 01:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My choice would be Corfu, but exactly where will depend on the age profile of your 20 people. If they are all under 30, then the southern end will suit them, as it's party central. 30-50? Paleokastritsa has lots of watersports and good swimming, still a bit of a younger outlook. 50+? Maybe Gouvia or Ipsos which both have a good mix of things to do, or a bit further north to Nissaki, Kalami or Kassiopi.

For a luxury hotel on a lovely beach, then Glyfada on the west coast. For ease of getting to Kerkira Town, then Gouvia.Mixed ages from young to oldish, then Gouvia.
Old May 15th, 2020, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies!! They are so helpful. Of course have and will read a ton to plan, but it's so helpful to get others real life experience with a place. Our group is 4 siblings in their late 50's/early 60s, then their kids, which fall into two groups - late 30s/early 40s and late 20s. We also have 2 stragglers 18 and 19, but they're easy to please. The interests of the group vary so much that on group trips I tend to plan a few entire group activities throughout a week and then have 2-3 options for people the rest of the time. For example, visiting ruins/museum/cultural activity, a physical activity i.e. hiking, etc and then a more relaxed option like shopping or lounging on the beach.

The base location is important obviously and I like to try to find a place that has restaurants/bars/some shops within walking distance. I'm struggling a little to picture the best option in Greece since there are so many islands. I know for sure we want to be on an island since a few of us who have interest will add on a few days to do Athens and some other ruins. I wanted somewhere that would be easy to day trip to another island as well perhaps, or maybe one island would be fine to stick to for a week?

Thanks so much again!
Old May 17th, 2020, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a lot to do on Corfu, but if you get itchy feet for a trip you could take a day trip to Albania.
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:25 AM

Naxos or Paros.

Either of these would fit your requirements.