Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arriving in SFO in late May. Will I have to quarantine for 14 days?

Old Apr 29th, 2020, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I would be traveling from Germany to San Francisco. Then I would like to rent a car to drive home. Would this be possible given the current guidelines? And if I needed to stay in my house what is the protocol for monitoring?

Thanks to all.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course, we don't know where your home is.

If it were in Michigan, you could land at Detroit, rent a car, and drive to your house, all the same as a year ago. Exactly the same.

Governor Whitmer amended her Executive Order to require that, after May 1, everyone must wear a face mask in public. But there is absolutely no financial penalty for not wearing a mask. Monitoring? None.(the state cops don't wear masks, either). Actually, there's a state law forbidding the wearing of masks in public; it must have been passed decades ago to dissuade robberies. details, details.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 05:03 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US board
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 06:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Is your home in the US in California or some other state? I know you're not driving back to Germany! My thought would be to fly to Reno and then rent a car to drive to San Francisco. California authorities have no idea where you drove into the state from. Another option would be to fly to Portland OR and drive or take the Amtrak Coast Starlight (roomette if possible) to Emeryville with an Amtrak bus over into San Francisco.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 07:32 AM

No, you do NOT want to fly to Reno. You'd have to hit a major city to connect to here and it makes no sense to do that. I wonder if you google the airport and perhaps email your airline, they mkay have some input for you OR thinking California MUST have a website that has the rules about entry into the country.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 07:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We need a little clarification. You are a US citizen returning home to somewhere you can drive to from San Francisco?
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 09:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Note: Since my guess (just a guess from the screen name) the OP is probably from the Central Valley.

Since he likely has non-stop into SFO why anyone would fly into a secondary airport, dictating 1+ connections somewhere, meaning add'l airports and exposures . . . is beyond me . . .

Mendota: Yes -- the airport and car rentals are open. Things change daily and you need to check closer to your date -- but it is recommended the you self isolate for 14 days when you get home. No one is 'monitoring' people in their homes . . . nor even out and about (in general) since essential travel is allowed and lots of local business are open.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

HI, thanks to the replys. Yes I am a US citizen and would drive from SF to Fresno.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 11:13 AM

"and would drive from SF to Fresno."

shhh We don't want anyone recommending you fly into FAT
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 01:50 PM

Not sure what you mean by monitoring, if you are advised to self-quarantine, they should give you instructions. They don't attach ankle bracelets or anything like that.

these are the procedures since you are arriving from a Schengen country, as outlined by DHS and the FAA:

Upon arrival, travelers will proceed to standard customs processing. They will then continue to enhanced entry screening where the passenger will be asked about their medical history, current condition, and asked for contact information for local health authorities. Passengers will then be given written guidance about COVID-19 and directed to proceed to their final destination, and immediately home-quarantine in accordance with CDC best practices.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 03:35 PM
J62

Originally Posted by janisj

If you do choose to fly into FAT beware that it may be a small plane with limited baggage capacity. If you have a lot of luggage that may be an issue.

I’ve read here on fodors about travelers with a lot of luggage needing to pay $$$$ for excess baggage there.

As for quarantine, some states do have requirements that anyone arriving from out of state self quarantine for 14d. It is an honor system but if was determined you were the cause of infecting someone else while violating that quarantine order you could be liable.

I do not follow CA rules closely to know if that state requires quarantine.

if you do need to quarantine we can give you tips on grocery delivery (check out the Safeway app or website, for example, or whatever your usual store is. )

Last edited by J62; Apr 29th, 2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 04:13 PM

"If you do choose to fly into FAT beware that it may be a small plane with limited baggage capacity. If you have a lot of luggage that may be an issue."

Seems you didn't get that was a joke (for our friend tom) . . . But Fresno does get flights in 'real airplanes' with 'normal' luggage capacity. And I'm 100% sure the OP is very familiar with FAT, SFO, OAK etc . . .
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 05:05 PM

"lots of local business are open""

"Lots" is only about 15%, IMO. Try to get a haircut, pedicure, watch repaired, doctors appointment, new i-phone from Apple store, clothes, dinner at a restaurant, etc.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 05:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
if I needed to stay in my house what is the protocol for monitoring?

It is an honorary system of stay-at-home. No one is "monitoring" you. You're supposed to be at home, not socializing, and only out for "essential" business like going to the pharmacy or grocery store.

Old Apr 29th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj

What's the plan for the one way car rental from SFO and where do you drop the rental car? Do you have a car at home? Is it a direct flight from Germany to SFO or could you fly to FAT from your transfer airport?
You could also fly to Sacramento (SMF) and take the Yolo bus into downtown Sacramento to get a San Joaquin train to Fresno.
I do like it when Enterprise picks me up.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by StuDudley
"lots of local business are open""

"Lots" is only about 15%, IMO. Try to get a haircut, pedicure, watch repaired, doctors appointment, new i-phone from Apple store, clothes, dinner at a restaurant, etc.

Stu Dudley

Of Course many places are closed . . . but Many businesses are also open - and early morning commute traffic is about 60% of normal. My point was people are out and about everywhere especially in the central valley. So no, no one wil 'monitor' you. There are people driving, walking, riding bikes, whatever. Things may be locked down more where you live but all hardware stores are open, many restaurants (for take out only), almost all fast food locations, banks/credit unions, dry cleaners, car dealerships, UPS/FedEx stores, post offices, most big box stores, all groceries, gas stations, mechanics, accountants, etc etc..

Monday I had to return something to Home Depot (item ordered on line but not qualified to return UPS/USPS/etc). At 10:30-ish AM the huge parking lot was entirely full. They had one entrance into the store and one exit and were allowing people in as others left the building . . . and there were more than 150 people in the queue waiting to get in. So yes MANY people are out and about and doing business all day long. (I gave up and will go back to HD some morning right at 6AM when they open and hopefully the line will only be 50 or 75
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 03:39 AM

According to the CDC, which has posted the following message in 14 languages, you do.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ecautions.html

If you have traveled internationally in the past 14 days, stay home and monitor your health.
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 03:41 AM

You can also read the following about "what can I expect when arriving to the United States ?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...lers/faqs.html
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 04:02 AM
J62

Agreed, per CDC guidelines you should stay home. Whether or not you have to, which is your original question, is up to the rules set by CA. As far as I know, CA has not set this requirement for anyone entering the state. Maine, among others, has.

The federal govt can prevent you from entering thee US and the CDC can issue guidelines, it is the individual states that set the actual rules within that state. Those powers are not expressly delegated to the federal government.

Ref: US Constitution, 10th Amendment
Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and
right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.

Ref CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/about...isolation.html

Last edited by J62; Apr 30th, 2020 at 04:36 AM.
Old May 1st, 2020, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi. thank you to all for the great replies. It is nice to see that some of you have read my previous posts and I will be traveling with only one standard suitcase. After living now in Europe for one year I am returning to California temporarily.
It is disheartening to see how the airlines have not made face masks obligatory. When did we stop listening to licensed medical experts and allowing company executives to make health care decisions?

I am also worried about which date to fly: late May or early June. As rules are changing daily it's hard to forecast where things will be.

Again many thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -