Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ideas of domestic travel for family of 4 with 2 boys?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2020, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After canceling our spring & summer travel plans, and likely cancel our upcoming November trip too, our kids are bummed. So, we want to do a large project of planning our fantastic vacation somewhere in the U.S once this panademic crisis is over.

We're on the East Coast, boys will be 9.5 and nearly 7 for potential travel in the year of 2021. They love to check out beaches, waterparks, bike, and explore different areas that's different from our typical Northeast enivornments.

Where would you guys go? the more details you can give too will help me get a good starting point.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 03:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Washington DC, almost everything is free including the zoo. You could take the Cape May Lewes ferry from NJ and arrive in Delaware where the beaches are so nice. Great boardwalk. Stop at Annapolis on your way to DC. End in Richmond where there is seven flags but also go to Williamsburg. History and fun.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 03:33 AM

What plans did you have for November?

Lots to do in Colorado. Hiking, biking, fishing, zip lining. Dinosaur exhibits, Air Force Academy, Rocky Mountain National Park. Denver zoo, Natural History, Botanical Gardens.

New Mexico--Indian villages, hiking, Santa Fe, art.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 06:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How many days/weeks do you plan for your next vacation? Do you want to drive your own vehicle or use a plane or train? We have plenty of places where you can practice social distancing here in Oregon.
We have ocean beaches with big sand dunes, some great hiking in the Cascades including Crater Lake NP and some vast stretches of High desert in eastern Oregon which has its own charm.
Yesterday I submitted for approval my geocaching Community Celebration Event. I know that there will be at least one other in Oregon as well on 10/10/20. The sport of geocaching will be 20 years old next month.
On May 3 2000 a guy named Dave Ulmer hid the first geocache in Oregon.
Over the past 14 years I have taken Amtrak trains to several states and then rented a car to go geocaching. I do fly if I want to get somewhere quickly and Amtrak doesn't go there.
I would not give up on a fall/early winter trip just yet. I heard that 3500 rental cars burned near the Miami airport last week so I would stay away from Miami for a few months.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The more details you provide, the better the suggestions will be... Otherwise, you can close your eyes and point at a map. There are hundreds are places dissimilar to the NE that would worth considering... Hawaii, multiple SW states, Yellowstone/Tetons, Rockies, etc.

How many days, weeks...?

What time of year are you hoping to travel?

Where have your family vacationed before and enjoyed?

Resort or condo or ? Stay in one place or travel around?
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 10:47 AM

We did a combo San Diego and Northern Arizona trip a few Aprils ago with our 10 year old and thought it was a great combo. Flew into SD, spent 4 days, then quick flight to Phoenix and rented a car and stayed 2 nights each in Sedona and Flagstaff and included a day trip to Grand Canyon. Flew home from Phoenix. Great trip, lots to see and do.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 12:26 PM

We've done several "split" vacations too, Brian - two were a week in Sedona, flight Phoenix to Salt Lake, then a week at Yellowstone (using timeshares, so 1 week each place). It can make for a really great vacation.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 01:50 PM

Are you looking to travel in November or wait until next spring or summer (water parks, at least the ones here in California,tend to be seasonal from May to September)?
I'm probably in the minority here, but think our coronavirus will peak no later than the middle of May if not sooner, folks here have been extremely proactive as far as staying home, wearing maks, keeping their distance from others and washing hands often, etc. The downside is, how long will it take the infrastructure (hotels and motels, restaurants, theme parks, beaches and regular parks, grocery stores, etc.) to recover? Many may never come back.
Otherwise I would probably pick someplace in Florida with beaches. Opinion varies as to which coast is best so you would have to look into that. I think Dukey lives there and might have some advice if you choose Florida.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 02:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I just gave you east coast trips because who knows if you'll be flying or driving.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 06:32 PM

Two of our best trips ever were Arizona and Alaska... everything you are looking for can be found there...

AZ... Sedona... Flagstaff, Jerome... meteor crater, volcano park, native American sites, Scottsdale...

Alaska... wildlife, glaciers, native Alaskan culture, plus less Covid exposure chance...
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 04:00 AM

If you can visit in the spring or fall, I would pick the four corners area. Fly into Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Phoenix or Denver. Plan a loop. There are plenty of state and national parks as well as historic sites, museums, etc.

A loop from Albuquerque we have don from the East is early flight, then a couple of hours drive to Bloomfield for the night. Then drive to Mesa Verde for two nights in the park, then drive to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands for three nights then to Santa Fe with a stop on the way at Bandelier, then back to Albuquerque for the flight home.

A loop from Vegas if you can get an early flight, drive to near Hoover Dam, spend the night, visit the dan, drive to Grand Canyon, spend one or two nights, drive towards Bryce, spend the night in Kanab or in Bryce or nearby at Ruby’s or the BW just outside, then on to Zion for a couple of nights Nd back to Vegas for the flight home.

Sometimes you can get a good package to Vegas that includes airfare,hotel and car. We have used it as a base and visited Hoover Dam Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon and Death Valley as day trips, and have done overnights at places that were farther away, like Zion and/or Grand Canyon. Just came to our room in Vegas after our night away. Do look at what parking and resort fees add to the costs in Vegas.

Old Apr 13th, 2020, 05:17 AM

Many of the things you mention are all located less than a day's drive away in Ohio. Cedar Point has a great waterpark and of course all the rides you could ask for. The Rock & Roll hall of fame is an hour away in Cleveland and just a little father is the Football Hall of Fame in Canton. Put-in-Bay Ohio is an island that has all kinds of things to do for old and young alike. There are caves to explore, hiking trails, winery tours, parasailing, fishing and golf, both Putt-Putt and a 9 hole executive course. There is camping and pretty modern hotels. The Put-in-Bay Visitors & Convention Bureau has information on lodging and most of the things to do on the island.

Also nearby are Amish farms, the Mid Ohio Race Track, and if you can get to southern Ohio Hocking Hills is a pretty cool place to go!
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 05:32 AM

ohiotraveler's Hocking Hills mention sent me to Google and the images are gorgeous. That led (as googling often does) to this link: https://discoverytrail.org which goes across the country. Something to look at dualvansmommy? At any rate, please share your final decision! And let's hope it's soon.
​​​And I agree about D.C.

Last edited by TDudette; Apr 13th, 2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 02:53 PM

Fly into Denver and drive thru western Nebraska to the Black Hills of South Dakota. Return thru Wyoming and Devil’s Tower and then Rocky Mountain National Park. If you have enough time, go farther west in Wyoming to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.

I travelled extensively when I was a boy ( including flying solo L.A. to Boston and taking a 24 hour solo train trip from western Kansas to Phoenix ), but never got go Neb. and SD until I was 69. I wish I have gone there many, many years ago.
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 03:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Quite apart from your Big Trip plans, you mentioned water parks and I wondered if you're close-ish to a Great Wolf Lodge? All of my grandchildren LOVE them and their parents take them for a couple of nights. Even one night sometimes. Could be a short, not hugely expensive treat.