Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Place in Germany/Denmark for Seaside Relaxation with Kids in July/August

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are probably revising a trip booked for this summer to a trip in Summer 2021. I'll have more time in 2021 and am thinking i'd like to add a few things to our current plan which is

5 nights in Munich
5 nights in Fussen with day trip to Innsbruk
5 nights in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber with day trip to Playmobil Park
2-3 nights to drive part of Fairytale Road
5 nights in Lubeck
5 nights in Billlund, Denmark
7 nights in Copenhagen (fly out of Copenhagen)

I'd like to add in a week of beach time. I know there are some great beaches close to Lubeck and had planned a beach day during our stay there as well as a train trip into Hamburg. I've read great things about Sylt, Rugen, Usedom, Bornholm or Romo I know there are loads of other seaside spots in this area. The kids (5 and 9) do like to swim and will probably not be deterred by colder water (we're Canadian) and i'd like it to be relatively safe for them to do that. We like nice food but will do a fair amount of cooking at home. We prefer air bnb stays to hotels with kids in tow. I'm envisioning something restful and easy. My husband works remotely and i'll be alone a lot with the kids that week.

We also have an extra week and wondering about adding in either Salzburg/Salzkammergut on the front of the trip or Stockholm/Sweden to the end. Advice? I'm sure both places are beautiful but I'm wondering what might be most enjoyable with the kids.

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:35 AM

You could consider renting a house on the Danish coast. Any of the Danish coast really, but as you are going to Billund the west coast has some great beaches. There are lots of holiday rentals without using AirBnB.
We liked the German coast as well but it gets very full in the summer months.

Have a look at the Danish tourist board's site which is very good.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you hetismij2. I had considered that area as it's convenient from Billund. I appreciate the tourist board tip! We live on the west coast of Canada and do take our kids to the beach but prefer areas with less undertow/gentle surf. Neither child is a spectacular swimmer at this point. Any specific recommendations for Western Jutland?
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 11:03 AM

Have a look at Lake Chiemsee in Bavaria, between Munich and Salzburg. Lots to do plus lazy afternoons in the Lake. Even Kids enjoy taking a boat to the island for the concert in Herrenchiemsee castle.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 11:04 AM

This is a picture of the swiimming/wading area in the seaside resort on the North Sea coast.

https://flic.kr/p/VWkXd3
and this is the beach itself

https://flic.kr/p/VWkZ4Y
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Schelley
5 nights in Billlund, Denmark
7 nights in Copenhagen (fly out of Copenhagen)

I'd like to add in a week of beach time.

We also have an extra week and wondering about adding in either Salzburg/Salzkammergut on the front of the trip or Stockholm/Sweden to the end.
My inlaws used to have a summer cottage in Liseleje, north of Copenhagen. It's beautiful there. The coastline north of Copenhagen has several spots suitable for a beach holiday. Even Copenhagen suburbs have beaches eg Bellevue Beach in gorgeous Klampenborg. The sand is white and the water very blue - and very cold even if 30C airtemps. Other great beaches are at the town of Hornbæk or Dronningmølle beach. You really have alot of choices in addition to Jutland. And renting a summer cottage or camping are very popular.

https://www.visitnorthsealand.com/no...ities/liseleje

Old Apr 24th, 2020, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Have a look at Lake Chiemsee in Bavaria, between Munich and Salzburg. Lots to do plus lazy afternoons in the Lake. Even Kids enjoy taking a boat to the island for the concert in Herrenchiemsee castle.
Oh, I like that! Will use for my own trip with kids for the future!