Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

What are you reading while you practice social distancing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2020, 07:44 AM
Administrator
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And how are you reading it? Online library databases, purchases, or something else?

We will incorporate your unique insights in our upcoming newsletters, social media, and articles!
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 07:53 AM

The Mirror and The Light by Hilary Mantel, it is the third book in the Wolf Hall series. I preordered through Amazon and it automatically downloaded onto my IPad on day it was released. I am enjoying the third book as well as the first and second one. I do sometimes find it a little hard to follow; i.e. hard to tell who is talking and what a vocabulary! I would have thought enough has been written about Henry VIII and that era but it is a fascinating read and it a different portrayal of Thomas Cromwell.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 10:45 AM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Just finished
The Passage The Passage
, a pretty good sci-fi vampire future apocalypse novel (first of a trilogy). There was a very short lived Fox show of it last year which I did not see.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have some physical library books, although the library is now closed. There is also a system for borrowing e-books and audio books from the library, although the selection could be better. For some time I have been getting a daily email from bookbub, with deals on e-books and have been gradually building a Kindle collection. When I was flat on my back after eye surgery I had a trial subscription to Audible.

I just finished Susan Fowler's "Whistleblower" - recommended. I made it half way through Deborah Lipstadt's "History on Trial", but decided I didn't need all the courtroom detail. I am currently alternating P. Carl's "Becoming a Man" and rereading Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion series (eleven books). When I finish those I have "Unmaking the Presidency" and "Call the Midwife". I recently finished the companion to Deborah Harkness' All Souls books, and may reread the trilogy - just read the fourth book.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...-susan-fowler/

https://www.simonandschuster.com/boo.../9781982105099

Paksworld: Books

https://deborahharkness.com/all-soul...s-world-books/

Last edited by thursdaysd; Mar 20th, 2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 01:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a pile of various mysteries - mostly based in England so vicariously traveling there while self isolating. A few books on my iPad including the fascinating 'A Woman of no Importance", the story of Virginia Hall a one legged American woman who managed to exist undercover in Vichy France 'Free Zone' and basically held the British efforts and French resistance together in WWII.

Plus lots of actual hard copy travel books hoping to be able to tick off a few more bucket list destinations in the next year or two
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 01:21 PM

Plus lots of actual hard copy travel books hoping to be able to tick off a few more bucket list destinations in the next year or two
Yes, I was just looking at the Swiss guidebooks sitting on my coffee table....
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 11:31 AM

I still purchase or borrow "real" books. I have never read a kindle book; I know, I must be odd. However, I love the feel of a book in my hands, and I love browsing bookstores.

Just finished reading:
Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict - historical fiction about Clementine Churchill, who I knew nothing about. I loved it, and found it very interesting and learned a lot.
There There by Tommy Orange - on the bestseller list for a year or so. Funny, heartbreaking and depressing. I think it should be part of the literature canon for high school and college students. It was sometimes confusing because it's told by 12 different characters.

Currently reading:
The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley - a mystery thriller set in Scotland at a remote highlands estate in the winter. So far so good!!!

Books I have at home waiting to be read:
The Secrets We Kept by Lara Prescott
The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
And I have two collections of short stories.
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 09:02 PM

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari and Mindset by Dr Carol S Dweck
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 06:16 PM

Currently reading A Lover's Discourse: Fragments by Roland Barthes. Had this book for a while now but never got to finish it.
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 04:40 AM

Decided I needed something soothing and am now reading "The Annotated Alice" which has been on my bookshelves for years.
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 09:29 AM

Just finished Dictator, the last in the Robert Harris trilogy about the life of Cicero, the Roman, politician, orator and philosopher.
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 12:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
"Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert"

Oh, KarenWoo, good luck. My best friend and I tried reading that book and couldn't make it past the first chapter. We then tried to watch the movie and gave up on that, too. "Insipid pablum," if I recall correctly, is how we described it.

I am a hardcopy reader, nothing online or electronic for me.

Just finished:
Dutch Houses. Perhaps not the best book to read when you're in "Stay-at-home" mode, but a good story otherwise.
Educated: A Memoir. A good read, but maybe a bit ahead of Ms. Westover's time. She hasn't quite figured out her story yet.
With All Due Respect. The Nikki Haley book about her time at the U.N. I liked it for the personal historical perspectives she wrote about but did not love it overall.
Lilac Girls. Meh. Historical fiction with too much emphasis on the latter.

Just for fun I reread the entire Griffin & Sabine series.

Am currently diving into:
The Strangeness in My Mind. Phew.
Other Minds. The Octopus and the Evolution of Intelligent Life. I'm starting to feel bad for eating calamari.
Old Apr 17th, 2020, 08:31 AM

Fourfortravel,
I bought Eat, Pray, Love secondhand for $1.00 so if I don't like it, it's no great loss. Have you read anything else by Elizabeth Gilbert, and if so, would you recommend it?
The Dutch House by Ann Patchett and Educated by Westover are on my book group's list for later this year.

I just started reading The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. So far I am really enjoying it. Some of it resonates with me because my husband is Chinese. It combines a love story with WWII history set in Seattle during the 40's and 80's, and is especially relevant today.

The other day I ordered the following books online from Barnes and Noble:
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
The Death of Mrs. Westaway
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 08:47 AM

Just finished the final book in the Robert Harris trilogy about Cicero, the renowned Roman orator/politician/philosopher. Written from the perspective of Tiro, his slave, friend and lifelong companion, it is a very readable insight into the machinations of political life in the Roman Empire.

Things are getting desperate, may have to re read The Lord of the Rings for the umpteenth time
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 09:06 AM

@crellston - lol. I used to reread it often. Currently rereading "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", among others.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 01:04 PM

Elizabeth Gilbert just released City Girls a year or two ago, and I loved it more than Eat,Pray,Love. NYC, letter written from the perspective of a very old woman to her young granddaughter or great-granddaughter, loved the characters.
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by aliced
Elizabeth Gilbert just released City Girls a year or two ago, and I loved it more than Eat,Pray,Love. NYC, letter written from the perspective of a very old woman to her young granddaughter or great-granddaughter, loved the characters.
Aliced, thanks for the recommendation of City Girls!
Who is the author of NYC?
Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 05:54 AM

Amazon is offering 9 free kindle books to celebrate World Book Day. This offer is good through tomorrow.
Amazon Amazon

For people looking for more book ideas, the book threads in the Lounge have lots of good suggestions.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 03:51 PM
Wm

Originally Posted by crellston
Just finished Dictator, the last in the Robert Harris trilogy about the life of Cicero, the Roman, politician, orator and philosopher.
Loved this series. Made me want to know more about Roman History. Enjoyed The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough.
Old May 31st, 2020, 11:58 AM

Pride and Prejudice
Christies' novels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -