Airlines: credit voucher vs. full refund?

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airlines: credit voucher vs. full refund?

We had planned to meet our daughter in Europe for a few days, then travel to Morocco as a family.... obviously, that is shot.

Our flights across the pond has been cancelled, so we should receive a full refund (I had to apply for it and they say it may take a month to get the money back).

Within that, we had:
Norwegian Air - from Copenhagen to Morocco
Royal Air Maroc - from Morocco to Paris

Both Morocco and Denmark have closed their borders and we wouldn't be traveling anyway... here's the rub:

1) both airlines are offering a "credit" on the airline - to be used in the next 6 months.
=> We can't go in the next six months.

2) Neither of the flights have been cancelled (yet). I can't imagine they will fly.

Do we:
- accept a credit now? Knowing we will struggle to use it? (obviously not my preference)

- wait to see if the flights are cancelled? Will we get a full refund if the flights are cancelled?

Is this just the airlines playing a big game of chicken? Hoping that people will accept a credit instead of waiting for a flight to be cancelled so they have to refund it?

Is there any reason - if they cancel the flight - that the airfare is not refundable?
(EU 261 should come into play for both, i think).

thanks

(it is my preference that the flights are cancelled sooner rather than later -- I can recover some from travel insurance if they are cancelled....)
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 02:29 PM
J62

Is there any reason - if they cancel the flight - that the airfare is not refundable?

For Norwegian, yes. If they go bankrupt (significant probability) then all bets are off.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 02:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd wait for the airline to cancel. When are you flying?
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

J62 I think... I should probably double check... that if they go bankrupt, my credit card will cover me?

Melnq8 flights are:
- Norwegian, 6 April. Denmark borders are closed until April 13th, so couldn't even get there to get out.
- Royal Air Maroc, 11 April.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 05:33 AM

April....I see cancellation by the airline probable.

And hopefully, they'll notify you. Two of my recent flights with Lufthansa were cancelled and they didn't bother to tell me - the flights just disappeared from my itinerary. And I was already into the trip.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Melnq8 ugh, that flights were cancelled without notifying you. Does EU 261 kick in then?

The Norwegian flights TO Morocco have been cancelled, so I am requesting a full refund. That also means a little bit of trip insurance kicks in.

Waiting for the RAM flights to be cancelled now.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by surfmom
Melnq8 ugh, that flights were cancelled without notifying you. Does EU 261 kick in then?

The Norwegian flights TO Morocco have been cancelled, so I am requesting a full refund. That also means a little bit of trip insurance kicks in.

Waiting for the RAM flights to be cancelled now.
I was able to re-book both flights at no additional cost (other than the four hours of my life I spent on the phone!) and I requested and have received the difference in fare between the Premium Economy I booked and the Economy I received on the replacement flights. I'm in the process of trying to recoup the seat assignments I paid for.

Old Mar 19th, 2020, 04:33 PM

Qantas are still playing this game.. telling people they have to accept the voucher by 31st March... and only valid to when you made the original booking . For me that’s 16 October... so probably not of any use. They really are bastardos for sure.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 12:18 AM

The EU has said EU261 compensation doesn't apply. They need to provide you the usual duty of care but no compensation other than the refund. But with your flights being canceled this far in advance you don't even get the care. (Hotel etc)

Take cash. There is no firm date for restarting. Yesterday Ryanair mentioned two to three months best case. Even if there is a firm date they might not be flying the routes/dates you want. They might ALL go under.

Old Mar 21st, 2020, 03:00 PM

I paid almost double for united nonstop tickets Denver to kona (in mid February, before things were crazy); today they put us (we are in our 70s) on different flights 3.5 hours earlier with a layover in San Francisco (the original flight is still scheduled). I haven't any idea how to proceed. Tried the phone, was on hold for an hour., never got through. Suggestions?
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 01:10 PM

When is your trip, sylvia3?
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by sylvia3
I paid almost double for united nonstop tickets Denver to kona (in mid February, before things were crazy); today they put us (we are in our 70s) on different flights 3.5 hours earlier with a layover in San Francisco (the original flight is still scheduled). I haven't any idea how to proceed. Tried the phone, was on hold for an hour., never got through. Suggestions?
If you want to cancel, maybe try online? If this won't work, dispute it with your credit card company.
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 05:17 PM

I spent tons time on pick up order lots not available when picked up. UGH!!!

But I can make chicken spaghetti and creamy chicken Cajun pasta.

Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 05:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you mean to post this on Air Travel??
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 02:06 PM

I booked flights to UK with Malaysia Airlines (Kuching/Kuala Lumpur) and Emirates (Kuala Lumpur/Manchester) and cancelled. Asked both airlines for refund, Emirates paid out refund within 10 days no problem but Malaysia Airlines proving impossible to get anything other than "Credit" voucher which I do not want . I would have thought that there is some sort of legal responsibility to refund, with appropriate cancellation fee, if that is what the ticket conditions stated but Malaysia Airlines obviously not keen to refund considering their current dire financial status.
Anyone know if it possible to get refund from Credit Card Company on basis that 'service' paid for is not able to be received ??

Last edited by manukes; Apr 4th, 2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 03:15 PM

If they cancelled your flight(s) then you are due a refund. You can contact you credit card company to file a dispute - call or you should be able to find the ticket charge in your online account and click on it for details, look for an option to 'dispute this charge'.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 03:38 PM

Your post isn't clear - When were the flights -- during the current crisis or later in the year, and did you cancel or did the airline (Malaysia) cancel the flight?
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 07:26 PM

Apologies if not clear, my 88 year old brain doesn't always respond to my thought intentions in putting something to paper.
Flights were booked in March for travel in June before this crisis thing blew up. I initiated cancellation of tickets and as stated got the refund no problem from Emirates.
Tried to cancel on 'My trips' on my bookings menu on Malaysia Airlines website which informed me that I had to contact the Customer Service Centre to cancel. Problem is the customer service centre is out of action - does not respond to calls anymore. My communication has been with with the airline through their facebook chat message link. They just seemingly ignore requests for cancellation and refund and keep sending 'voucher' to re-schedule before end of year. I didn't cancel due to Covid problem , I cancelled for other personal reasons and asked for refund - less cancellation charges which I think I am entitled to. Is that clear ??
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 11:15 PM

Honestly Manukes I'd suggest waiting for THEM to cancel. Then they'd owe you a full refund.

Unless you're gaining something from cancelling yourself .

But the above assumes/hopes your flight will get canceled.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 07:28 AM

I agree with Traveler_Nick. I don't currently have any pending flights but if I did I'd certainly wait for the airline to cancel so I'd have more protection/rights. If for some strange reason the flight was not cancelled by the airline, I could still go ahead an cancel almost up to flight time and not be any worse off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -