Need help with Florida Keys itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2020, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm planning a trip to the keys in April for 8 nights with husband and kids 13 & 15 year old. Please critique and make suggestions.
landing in Miami 10am, renting a car for the road trip.
First stop Anhinga trail, then onward to Key West for 3 nights. Hotel will be either Sheraton on Smathers beach or Marriott beachside hotel, which is a better location?
Then the last 5 nights in Marathon at Courtyard Marathon (I'm using Marriot points)

What are all your thoughts on this split? I could instead stay in key largo at the Playa Largo Resort and cut marathon Short 1 day or 2.
Things we want to do: Kayak, everglades, snorkels, browse in shops, visit Bohia Honda....
Flying back home out of FFL 9pm flight.

Thanks!

Old Mar 11th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US Forum and tagged for Florida
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 07:00 AM

As far as location, Smathers puts you closer to the heart of Old Town and Duval Street.. it also offers a swimming beach nearby for the kids..

the Marriott may be nicer, resort wise, but is closer to the Commercial area and mall like area......
The Keys are very interesting and different, and Key Largo adds an additional adventure to your experience... do the days there also... Have fun!.
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 12:16 PM

Hi,
Be aware that parking is very tight and very regulated in Old Town. There is a municipal lot at the end of Greene Street (I think, google the address). There are taxis, Uber, and Lyft, and your hotel may have a shuttle service to and from Old Town. Near the Sheraton at Smathers Beach is La Trattoria, a short walk. Beachside has a big snazzy restaurant, feels more like Miami than Key West but good food. Beachside is located at the junction of Highway 1 (the only way to drive to Key West) and North Roosevelt Blvd. These are busy highways, with kids I would be super careful crossing the street if you want to walk to restaurants on the other side. Sheraton is on South Roosevelt Blvd, much less traffic and you can walk across the street (carefully) to the beach.

Once you get to Old Town in the morning, consider taking the Conch train or the trolley, each goes around Old Town but with slightly different routes, each has live narration by the driver. They give a good overview of the old sections. Enjoy!
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 06:02 AM

If you are thinking of going out to the Dry Tortugas for a day trip, be aware that you need ferry reservations well in advance. At least, that's how it is in NORMAL times. These are not normal times, and one of the only good things about it is that you might be able to find space in things you couldn't before!