Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

POLL: Have you changed travel plans due to coronavirus?

Search
View Poll Results: Have you changed travel plans due to coronavirus? Select all that apply
Yes -- I have cancelled trips due to COVID-19
50.75%
Yes -- I am delaying travel or trip-planning due to COVID-19
41.79%
No -- I am traveling as normal, but taking extra precautions due to COVID-19
13.43%
No -- I have made no changes in my travel due to COVID-19
1.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 12:40 PM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact
Original Poster

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you changed travel plans due to coronavirus?
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes! Husband and I were supposed to leave on a Celebrity Cruise today out of Miami. I have a simple cold(cough, sore throat, runny nose. No fever or shortness of breath). Travel agent told me that they wouldn’t let me on the ship and also she wouldn’t let me board the bus with the group to go to the airport.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 03:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
jnsmom: That is too bad . . . but honestly it might be a blessing. The LAST place I'd want to be is cooped up on a quarantined cruise ship.

I'm delaying travel plans - in sort of wait and see mode. I've booked 2 B&Bs, a hotel and an (expensive) event in England in early July - all except the event are cancellable/refundable. Haven't booked the flights yet. AA has said any new bookings are fully changeable so that isn't a big concern but in a couple of months we'll have a better handle on what's what and how much hassle there will be or even IF travel will be possible. I have a hunch (maybe just wishful thinking) that things will settle down a lot before then and maybe because of reduced business travel there may be some real fare bargains to be had.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 04:27 PM

We have a Croatia Turkey trip in the early stages for September. I’m finding it hard to get motivated to plan for it not knowing where the whole thing is going to turn around. I will book all hotels that I can cancel if needed.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 04:57 PM

We have a trip to the Italian Riviera booked for September. At present we have no intention to cancel.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 06:50 PM

Due to leave for London and not Rome then 6 day Rabbies tour of northern Italy/Switzerland/ France and back tomLondon prior to flight back to,Denver. At the moment plans are on hold. I can cancel all hotels within 34 hours as well as three tours planned in a Rome. For Rabbies I will need to cancel 42 days prior to tour departure which would be April 28th

Have talked to BA and can reschedule flights. It seems that things are slowing down in China but still need to wait and see if it’s on going. It has been 71 days since first case noted in China. It will be 79 days before we are scheduled to leave. If one wants to be really optimistic, things may work out. I’m not quite that positive about situation. We can reschedule everything for a July 15 the departure and I’m looking really hard at that option. For now just wait and see for the next6 weeks. No one really knows how things will evolve.

If July 15 th departure doesn’t look promising, I think we can reschedule flights for same time of original departure in 2021.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 07:37 AM

Canceled

one in our group decided to cancel.

Last edited by onthebow; Mar 10th, 2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: more
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 07:49 AM

I canceled trip to England which was to start this week. My job is asking everyone who travels internationally to self report upon returning and may be asked to self quarantine on return. I actually think that is not a bad idea but it won't accomplish anything because no such plan is in place for domestic travel and going to NY or California (or elsewhere) seems at least as risky. I'm tentatively planning going to NYC instead but not even sure that's a good idea.

However, I have no plans to change anything about my next trip which starts Aug 20. That trip does include northern Italy but I'm hoping by then things will have calmed down (not gone away, but that travel restrictions won't be necessary).
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 09:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Waiting to see what happens on plans for June trip to Scandinavia.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 10:16 AM

ibobi, Perhaps you should have an option that offers a wait and see how things evolve in the next few months
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 01:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 01:32 PM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact
Original Poster

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by historytraveler
ibobi, Perhaps you should have an option that offers a wait and see how things evolve in the next few months
We could certainly re-poll as the situation changes, but this is meant more as a snapshot of now.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 02:34 PM

Understood.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 09:50 PM

I’m in the wait and see camp. No changes but as I’m health compromised I may cancel trip to Europe from Aus In early May. Or reconfigure by going later or fiddling with destinations. It was a seven week trip...
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 02:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We don't normally plan too far ahead, especially for our European breaks and tend to book and go within a few weeks. However, as DW has a compromised immune system ATM we have put off any thoughts of travel until this outbreak subsides. We were thinking of either the Amalfi coast or the Italian Lakes for our next trip, but Italy is a no no. We'll wait until later in the year and review the situation.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 11:59 PM

Trump just changed a lot of people’s travel plans by announcing a ban on all travel to Europe (The United Kingdom and Ireland are excluded from the ban). He he attempted to blame the European Union for “seeding” hotspots in America with a "foreign virus" Apparently the ban does not extend to American citizens.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 06:26 AM

Haven't cancelled flight to Florida on April 5. I'm staying with my bro and sil so no hotel issues.
I will wait and see. I can always cancel at the last minute.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 10:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a Baltic cruise scheduled for July. Our final payment is due April 7 and we are trying to make a decision as to whether or not to just cancel before the payment date.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 01:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Have a trip planned to the US beginning April 3rd. We are spending a week in Orlando, (were not going to any of the theme parks), and then three weeks in New York City. The main reason for the trip is to see our daughter, SIL and 21 months old grandson. At this stage still going, we will see what eventuates in the next three weeks whether we change our mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -