southern Maine and NH

Search

southern Maine and NH

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2020, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
southern Maine and NH

DD and i will be visiting Boston the 2nd week in September. We have 3 days for southern Maine & NH. We will go as far north as Bath to visit to Maritime museum. DD's must do is going to the LL Bean store in Freeport. We will likely stay the 1st 2 nights in Portland and the last night on the southern NH coast, maybe Kittery. What are the must dos considering our time restraints? Where should we stop for the best lobster? That is also a must do for this trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 03:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Just FYI: The Amtrak station in Freeport ME is within easy walking distance of the L.L. Bean store. You may be able to do part of your trip in Maine taking the Amtrak Downeaster (several per day) from Boston North Station. The Downeaster also makes a couple of stops in New Hampshire as well.
One of several great lobster restaurants is Barnacle Billy's in Ogunquit along US 1 (Over 50 years serving).

Last edited by tomfuller; Mar 8th, 2020 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add restaurant
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 03:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Also FYI, LLBean is about a 25 minute drive from Portland, any time you want.
You can put a dirty diaper in the car if you want to simulate an Amtrak experience

Drive to Popham Beach via Parker Head road.

Erica's Seafood in Harpswell.

Last edited by cdnyul; Mar 8th, 2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 03:45 PM

I second the Downeaster train option. What we did was fly to Boston, take the Downeaster to Portland, then rented a car in Portland and went from there.

Not sure you'll make it up this far, but for lobster, I was very happy at the Union River Lobster Pot in Ellsworth (which is close to Acadia Nat'l Park). Also had incredible seafood and lobster at Claws in Rockland, and one of the most amazing lobster rolls at Shannon's Unshelled in Boothbay Harbor (which I would recommend visiting and not too far from Bath).

In Portland, you have to go to the Bite Into Maine food cart, either at Cape Elizabeth by the Portland Head Lighthouse or at Allagash Brewery. I'm not sure this is the greatest lobster roll on earth, but I certainly cannot imagine one being better than this! And if you have never done it, you really do need to visit the Cape Elizabeth to see the lighthouse. It's incredible.

Other restaurants in Portland we have been and I highly recommend are Eventide Oyster Co (get the browned butter lobster roll), Duckfat for duck fat poutine, and Hot Suppa (best brunch ever!). All three are popular, but warrant the hype in terms of quality and service. Loved them all.

If you enjoy beer, there are a plethora of great breweries in and around Portland. Allagash being my absolute favorite.

In terms of visiting LL Bean in Freeport, it is open 24/7. What we enjoyed doing was going out for a very late dinner in Portland, then driving up to Freeport for some midnight shopping.

Two places I have never tried, but have heard glowing things about are Miller Brothers Seafood (which is a bit outside the city center of Portland) and Palace Diner for brunch in Biddeford, Maine if you're making your way south towards the NH coast and Kittery.

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 02:55 AM

I agree with some of these recommendations. Bite Into ME food truck might not have the best lobster rolls but they offer several different kinds. I would go to the food truck parked in Fort Williams park/ Cape Elizabeth because then you also get a wonderful view of Casco Bay. We also loved Claws but were disappointed when they stopped offering the lobster burger which was like a large crab cake. The view isn't the best but it's a wonderful take-out with covered porch type of place on Rt 1 north of downtown Rockland area.
But Portland to McLoon's Lobster Shack is 1 hour 47 minutes but I would check their hours in September and it's mostly outdoor picnic tables looking out on a very pretty working harbor. Get the combination hot and cold lobster roll. You'll get some hot butter to dip the pieces that are about to fall off the well loaded roll. This would not be a good place to visit on a rainy day but 2nd week in September is usually wonderful weather.
I don't think we've tried Erica's Seafood in Harpswell but love exploring the area. We ate most recently at the place in Cundy Harbor. Erica's looks like a great place with a varied menu. Guess we better get back to Harpswell. Should you get to that area, check to see if you can also fit in a visit to the Giant Steps for a short walk.

You might find a choice of last night's accomodations in the Portsmouth NH area. Our favorite seafood place is Petey's in Rye. Try to go at an off time. It's very popular. The prettiest drive is Rt 1B from Strawbery Banke/Prescott Park in Portsmouth thru New Castle but before or after eating at Petey's you can head north on the same road 1A which will take you past the fabulous mansions in Rye. If you want to sit and enjoy the view there is a row of restaurant in Portsmouth on either Bow Street or Ceres which share a deck on the water so you can watch busy Portsmouth harbor. Due to location they might not be the best places to eat since the view is what's popular. Sorry I can't remember the names. Portsmouth can be a little too crowded for us.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 05:20 AM
J62

In Bath we'll occasionally go to the Kennebec tavern (we meet up there with friends and it's convenient from our various starting points).
We also like Five Islands out on the peninsula south of Bath. Lovely setting, but it's a drive.

As dfrostnh states you can get lobster any number of different ways. The classic restaurant style is whole, steamed lobster that you crack & eat yourself. Dipped in butter. While I do like that style, it's more work than I want to do at sit down restaurant, and better for a backyard picnic when you don't mind getting messy. Lobster served warm is excellent, but by the time you get to the claws it may be cold and dripping, and IMO isn't as appealing.

These days my preferred lobster meal is a lobster roll, with butter. No mayo, no extra flavors, and none of the work. You basically get the meat from a whole lobster already served, nicely chilled with none of the extras. My favorite place is a little seasonal shack in Boothbay - 5min walk from where we stay.

But cracking a lobster and getting messy is part of the experience... For a steamed lobster I've not found any noticeable difference between any lobster shack all across ME. They all know how to steam 'em so pick a place for either the convenience or some other ambiance like the waterfront or ocean views, or ratings for the food on the rest of the menu.

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 06:47 AM

Some must do's in southern Maine/NH - If you are staying in Kittery (it's in Maine not NH): York has some wonderful beaches - it may be too cold to go in the water but the beaches are great to just walk on. Also, Nubble lighthouse is in York between Short Sands and Long sands beaches. Ogunquit also has a magnificent beach, as well as the beautiful Marginal way walk along the ocean. Lots of art galleries and shops in Ogunquit. In Kittery, Warrens is a big, New England seafood restaurant with lobster and all kind of seafood as well as a huge salad bar. it's right on the water. If you are into shopping, rte 1 in Kittery is lined with factory outlet malls. Kittery's winding waterfront road - rte 103 - has some nice homes on the picturesque harbor and if you want the real deal as far as a simple Maine lobster eatery, Chauncey Creek is the place. Just across the river is Portsmouth NH, a fun old seaport town.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Southern Maine and NH

Thanks so much to all of you for your wonderful suggestions and ideas. I will pour over them as we book and plan our trip.

I've already checked out the dining suggestions. Wow - what great places they all seem to be. We hope the weather is beautiful-would much prefer sitting outside and watching the boats. DD and I both agree we want lobster already pulled and with butter. Not lovers of mayo or other flavors. Just want to enjoy the wonderful taste of lobster. Neither of us have eaten it fresh before.

I know we won;t have time to visit all of the places suggested to us, but we plan to see as many as possible. We are people who like to be on the go. Not fans of shopping, except going to LL Bean.

The joy of visiting a new part of the country is so exciting for us.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 04:07 AM

the menu item you might want to look for is called Lazy Man's lobster - already picked meat with butter. You'll have to double check menus for lobster rolls without mayo since I think with mayo is predominant. If you were staying at a place with kitchen facilities and wanted the pick your own, about the cheapest deal is to go to a supermarket where they will steam a lobster for you at no additional cost. I think right now lobster is $9.99/lb but price will go down in the summer. I think a lobster that is at least 1 1/4 lbs or 1 1/2 is best if you want to go after the small amounts of meat in the legs. I like the knuckle meat the best so I never go for a single claw special. You can probably also go to a lobster pound and buy already shelled meat. It will be very expensive but if you had kitchen facilities it would be a good deal. Just melt some butter.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 08:07 AM

Just to add - if you are staying in Kittery, and are interested LL Bean, the Kittery Trading Post is a very similar store.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 09:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
>

Frosty, I know from experience that this is heresy in NE but my very favourite way of eating lobster is cold with mayonnaise and salad. I think that butter makes an already rich dish too rich and the butter overwhelms the sweetness of the lobster.

There, I've said it. Mea culpa.