Search

Airlines response to the coronavirus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airlines response to the coronavirus

Good morning

I got an email from United this morning. They explained their measures to protect against the coronavirus including the below and that any bookings made in March can be changed for free.

"Our team of in-house medical experts and industrial hygienists oversee our aircraft cleaning procedures to ensure they meet or exceed all CDC guidelines. Hard surfaces such as lavatories, tray tables, window shades and armrests are thoroughly wiped down with a high-grade disinfectant and multi-purpose cleaner. And when we are advised by the CDC of a person who has traveled on board and is potentially exhibiting coronavirus symptoms, that aircraft is taken out of service and sent through a full decontamination process that includes our standard cleaning procedures plus washing ceilings and overhead bins and scrubbing the interior."

Has anyone seen anything similar from other airlines?
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 04:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, Delta and American both have similar blurbs on their websites.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 05:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Southwest just says they clean nightly.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 07:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, I'm holding a ticket on Alaska Air and received a letter of reassurance from a higher up. Tickets purchased after February 27th are refundable and changeable. Tickets purchased earlier, unfortunately, nothing special offered.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 07:23 AM

I canceled two tickets to New York on Delta (1-6 April) this morning and got refunded.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 07:30 AM

I got the message about cleaning and refunds for tickets bought AFTER March 1: so the schlubs who bought domestic tickets 2 months ago can just eat the cost, or take their chances. Cr@p move.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 07:39 AM

Precisely. Mine was purchased a few weeks pre-unexpected-deadline (hey who knew at the time???). And I don't know why it matters, but probably would be more p*ssed if I'd bought it the day before the cut-off -lol- I do the super duper Saver when I can on Alaska so they are very clear about no nothing no changes no deals for any reason with that fare category. So not sure if I could change this particular ticket even within the dates of their offer.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 07:42 AM

I have my ticket for Oakland in a couple of weeks and don't plan to change it. I HOPE my flight won't get changed but there IS that chance with flight cancellations. I also have a ticket to Las Vegas in May and so will see how things are at that time.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 09:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mr. Gruezi just got a cheap upgrade to Biz Class on our trip to Mx this week.

(For those still flying.)
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 10:12 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I leave for Spain tomorrow. Wish me luck.

This from Lufthansa:

Dear passenger,

We realize that the current news regarding the impact and spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is cause for uncertainty among airline passengers. We therefore thank you for continuing to place your trust in Lufthansa and choosing us for your travel needs.

On every journey you take with Lufthansa, your safety and well-being, and that of our staff, is our top priority. Having information on what we are doing to help our customers is vital for giving you peace of mind when travelling. Please rest assured that we are monitoring the situation and developments, and we will continue to provide you with regular updates. Lufthansa is prepared for all possible scenarios and we are working closely with the health and governmental authorities, following their advice for further steps to be taken. According to the World Health Organization WHO the risk of infection has not yet been fully determined.

We want to make sure that your stay with us on board is as pleasant and safe as possible under any circumstance. We have therefore implemented precautionary measures in order to best protect you, our crew members and our ground staff against any risks. This includes providing our cabin crew and our staff at selected airports with respiratory masks.

The air on board all Lufthansa aircrafts is cleaner than outside on the ground, it consists of up to 60% fresh air. Pollutants such as dust, bacteria and viruses are filtered from the air circulating in the aircraft cabin, meeting the standards for hospital operating rooms. We are also well prepared should a passenger show signs of a Corona infection while on board. Our Medical Service has long established procedures for passengers with infectious diseases and our crews are all well-trained for these situations.

We kindly encourage you to support our protective measures on board by following the recommendations of the World Health Organization (www.who.int). These include washing your hands frequently and thoroughly, correctly covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing, and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.

We will do everything we can to help and look forward to welcoming you on your next flight.

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by suze
Yes, I'm holding a ticket on Alaska Air and received a letter of reassurance from a higher up. Tickets purchased after February 27th are refundable and changeable. Tickets purchased earlier, unfortunately, nothing special offered.
That seems backwards. People who bought later already knew about the virus and bought despite that.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sylvia3
I got the message about cleaning and refunds for tickets bought AFTER March 1: so the schlubs who bought domestic tickets 2 months ago can just eat the cost, or take their chances. Cr@p move.
I have a thread going about exactly this in the Air Travel Forum. I booked three domestic trips for May-July back in early February. People booking the same trips after March 1 get the chance to change/cancel without penalty. I'm screwed if I want to do the same.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 12:59 PM

A friend of mine called Delta earlier today to cancel a flight overseas. He asked them if they would waive the change fees and they did. It never hurts to ask.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by jubilada
That seems backwards. People who bought later already knew about the virus and bought despite that.
It makes all the sense in the world. The policies are intended to entice customers to book tickets now. Allowing free cancellations to tickets in hand just gives up revenue.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 03:31 PM

Yea, no kidding that!! I was not being a risk taker, none of this was happening on February 18th when I purchased my usual vacation ticket for this time of year.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 03:38 PM

I got a notice from AirFrance this morning that they were allowing passengers already ticketed to re-ticket up until May 31 at no charge, assuming the flights they wanted to be re-ticketed to were flying and had seats. No mention at all about cleanliness of the aircraft.

I did not consider this a terribly generous offer. Nor do I have any flight booked or contemplated on Air France in the near, or far, future.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 03:58 PM

Yea, no kidding that!! I was not being a risk taker, none of this was happening on February 18th when I purchased my usual vacation ticket for this time of year.
Of course it was happening on February 18th, you just weren't aware of it. The first posting about it in the Lounge was on January 25, and dcd even mentioned that there were two cases in the US at that point in time.

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 04:00 PM

Of course it was happening on February 18th, you just weren't aware of it. Or you were aware of it but never thought it would affect you.

The first posting about it in the Lounge was on January 25, and dcd even mentioned that there were two cases in the US at that point in time. By February 18 there was already discussion of what was happening on the Diamond Princess.

Who knows, by the time you need to leave, Mexico maybe banning passengers from the Seattle area and your flight will be cancelled for you.

IIRC, Mexico was where H1N1 (swine flu) broke out in 2009, and they were serious about locking things down.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 7th, 2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 05:18 PM

Inaccuracies are not unheard of around here.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 10:16 AM

I just got an email from Air France. For travel by May 31, changes or cancellation, including changes to destinations, will be made free of charge. For travel after that, they will issue vouchers.

Unfortunately, we’re on Air Canada, and they’ve been silent, unless you’re flying to a level 3 destination. I’m crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -