Coronavirus in Spain

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coronavirus in Spain

Does anyone else have travel plans to Spain and are contemplating cancelling given the outbreak? I’m just wondering when the rest of Spain will get hit by the virus. And how the government will react. We have a trip planned in about a month to BCN, Madrid and some southern cities. Just wondering if towns will be shut down there as well. I love Spain but don’t necessarily want to be quarantined there.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:56 PM

Nobody knows. On the Spanish mainland, there has been just once case in Barcelona of a woman who has travelled to Northern Italy and is now in isolation. I have plans to go to Southern Spain in April and am just watching. If things become as bad as in Northern Italy, will definitely cancel but hope it won't be necessary. My contention is that Spain will still be there when the crisis is over.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 01:22 AM

Yes, we have plans to visit the Pays Basque for a couple of weeks in early May. We live in Europe, almost everything is already paid for, and we don't plan to cancel, but I suppose new events could change our plans. I don't see the point in asking what other people will do - it's a personal decision based on personal details.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 02:03 AM

No just counting the dates on the calendar until my flight. Not like being quarantined there would be worse than being quarantined here.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 02:46 AM

Who knows whether the rest of Spain will be hit? Who knows what controls will be put in place if it happens?
My only worry would be being stuck there in quarantine, not catching the virus.
Remember it is currently still far less deadly than flu. Flu doesn't stop you travelling does it? CDC estimates 16,000 people killed by the flu in the US this flu season.

If you feel unhappy about travelling then cancel. If you decide to travel then excerise good hand hygiene - wash your hands frequently, with soap and water. 60+% alcohol hand sanitiser is second best but useful when you can't get to a basin. You don't need a face mask.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 70+ patients are being hit hardest.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 07:07 AM

I have tickets for Madrid Open ( tennis) first week of May.
Hope to go unless it is a pandemic.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 08:46 AM

I have a flight booked in and out of Madrid the last two weeks of March, then road-tripping south through Andalucia. I'm slightly anxious about the flight (the germaphobe in me) but more so the potential for quarantine or collapse of infrastructure while we're abroad. We're in the non-refundable ticket category and only have about 10 days until we start to approach cancellation deadlines on hotels, so the stress is definitely there (just so you don't feel alone for feeling this way!).

Best advice I've received from a friend currently traveling in Thailand is to keep an eye on the CDC travel page specific to the virus: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ers/index.html Lots of good info there that's currently easing my mind, until Spain shows up on one of the watch lists. Until then, I'm trip planning as per usual!
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 08:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hetismij2
. . . If you decide to travel then excerise good hand hygiene - wash your hands frequently, with soap and water. 60+% alcohol hand sanitiser is second best but useful when you can't get to a basin. You don't need a face mask.
The only times I've been sick in Europe, timing indicated I was infected on the flights over. The extended enclosed space plus the uncleaned surfaces mean it can be airborne as much as touch-borne. Yes, I'm a hand washer but since the last illness that ruined time with friends I've worn an air filter during flights & haven't been sick since. Of course, it could be coincidence but I now believe in them, just got it out for the short flights planned soon. They look a bit silly (someone should design a chic version) but not as obvious as a mask.

This is the one I have & that's a very good price:
Amazon Amazon

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 01:01 PM

MmePerdu, thank you for the info and link on the air filter! I just might purchase 2 of them. We are going to France in April (I hope), and will seriously consider buying these if we go. We will probably decide at the last minute about our trip. As everyone says, the situation changes daily.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 02:33 PM

The Costa Adeje Palace, a four-star resort with a restaurant, pools and over 450 rooms, is one of at least two hotels to be locked down in Europe. Officials in Innsbruck, an Austrian ski town, sealed off a 108-room hotel after an employee tested positive for the virus.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Schalke
Does anyone else have travel plans to Spain and are contemplating cancelling given the outbreak? I’m just wondering when the rest of Spain will get hit by the virus. And how the government will react. We have a trip planned in about a month to BCN, Madrid and some southern cities. Just wondering if towns will be shut down there as well. I love Spain but don’t necessarily want to be quarantined there.
I don't get it. The virus has spread everywhere now. What makes you think you're safer at home than in Europe?
Unless you're working from home and isolating yourself from the world until Coronavirus disappears, I don't see how traveling to Europe puts you at a higher risk of catching the virus.
By April, the virus will have probably spread to every country on earth.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 03:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Schalke
I'm leaving for Barcelona and Madrid in 11 days.

I think...
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 06:19 PM
kja

FWIW:
  • Please think about not just your risk of getting ill, but your risks of quarantine and the risks that YOU will become the unwitting (and perhaps asymptomatic) agent of other's illness.
  • Please don't contribute to the false information about this virus that is spreading at least as quickly as the disease itself!
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 01:19 AM

Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ers/index.html
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by danon
I have tickets for Madrid Open ( tennis) first week of May.
Hope to go unless it is a pandemic.
My hopes too! I've got tickets for my parents as an anniversary gift. I won't risk sending them if there is still an outbreak
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 05:39 AM

MmePerdu
The link doesn't work..I am desperately trying to purchase some decently priced masks, they all see way OFF price now!
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by joycelilly
MmePerdu
The link doesn't work..I am desperately trying to purchase some decently priced masks, they all see way OFF price now!
The link was not for a mask, but for a "Wein Personal Air Purifier" battery-operated that hangs around your neck. Google it if interested, they have their own site, Amazon was the best price but I'm guessing they sold out of the individual units & that's why the link no longer works. Amazon still has a set of 2 or buy direct from the company.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 08:59 AM

La Semana Santa festivities start on April, 5...
I cannot see how
it will happen in just five / six weeks from now.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 03:27 PM

Joycelilly, have you looked for masks at your local hardware stores? I had a look today & though they usually have the N95s, they were out. But they had a good supply of the cheaper ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -