Search

travelling to Venice in mid April

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travelling to Venice in mid April

Hi,
Due to the on going situation in Northern Italy I am quite concerned about our family trip to Italy. Its our first time in Europe. We will first go to Switzerland and then come to Italy. Our planned date is on 12 April, bit now we are quite confused as what to do?? Should we cancel Venice and just straight fly to Rome from Bern or Zurich? as we still haven't bought train tickets. We wanted to travel by train from Spiez to Milan and then to Venice and then to Rome. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Much thoughts and prayers for all the Italian people who have been affected by this virus.
thank you
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:00 PM

April is a long way from now. If things haven't cleared up by then it's more likely the thing has spread both north and south.

Either ignore the current situation and hope things will clear up in the next six weeks or cancel.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:25 PM

phirlo,

We all have different tolerances to risk. If I was in your place, and needed to finalize transport and hotel logistics now, I would plan to skip Venice. April is not really that long away from now , actually maybe even more of Italy and Europe will be compromised by then, but you ahve to roll with the present situation. Good luck
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:39 AM

I think the situation is still evolving, there have been some deaths but the situation has not reached to the critical level. As of today, you can travel to Italy, if you follow the instructions of local authorities but April is lots of time so you must keep a watch on the situation till say March 20th, if the situation improves by then, you can think about making the reservations. Though I would recommend that you visit the rest of Europe.and exclude Italy. Though our prayers are with people of Italy.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 09:51 AM

The reason I suggest the OP skips Venice at this point is not so much because I think she runs an infection risk, but I would be concerned about Museums and other attractions being closed to the public.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am monitoring the situation at the moment regarding my planned trip to Sicily starting April 3rd.

This might help re your rights. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51615412... None of the UK airlines are allowing passengers to cancel or change flights to the affected zones in Italy, so no refunds.

If I have not booked yours flights/trains to Venice, then I probably would not do so now, as they may well close the attractions, if trey have not done so already.

I'd say 'wait and see' over the following two weeks. If you decide to book, then I suggest you book 'cancelable fares'.

I am not as concerned about catching the virus as I am about getting stranded, as in some (few) cases the virus has not appeared for way more than 14 days. I am also very concerned in bringing it back and infecting people who are vulnerable.

Like you, I am wishing the best for those currently under curfew, but hopefully this action will limit the spread.

Good luck!

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/co...losing-1784706

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news...virus-lockdown

I had read today that museums were closing in Northern Italy. See above. This may change as you get closer to the trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:33 AM

Britons returning from northern Italy are now being asked to self isolate for 14 days. I’m not sure what the policy is where you live, or even if it will still be necessary by April, but that is something to keep in mind if you decide to go to Venice. Can you afford another 14 days off work or at home after your holiday?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51625733
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 06:26 AM

Coronavirus infections in Western Europe:
Italy: (333), Greece (Thessaloniki), Croatia, Austria, Switzerland (Lugano), Germany (Munich, Göppingen, Dusseldorf), France, Spain....
The numbers are actually growing in all countries
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cruiseluv
The reason I suggest the OP skips Venice at this point is not so much because I think she runs an infection risk, but I would be concerned about Museums and other attractions being closed to the public.
This, and the fact that you might have to self-isolate, are the real issues. The risk of contagion is actually pretty low, even in the towns where there are outbreaks.