Avoid Washington DC during election period?

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avoid Washington DC during election period?

We are planning a visit from Australia to Washington DC for about 5 nights, sometime between May and October this year. My question is about the presidential election and if there is a time when DC should be avoided.

We're visiting to see the museums and galleries. Nothing booked yet and we want to avoid any period when accommodation will be particularly expensive or hard to get, or when it might be a zoo. We really have no idea so would love some local advice. (Also staying in NYC and LA and doing a short road trip on east coast.)

Thanks, Kay
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 07:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't see any reason to give it a second thought. The District is where the Capitol/White House are but as the country goes it is a teeeeensy part. And even over the actual pre-election weekend and election night none of the candidates will even be in the city. They will be out campaigning in crucial states and at their campaign headquarters which are not in DC. And Senate and House members will all be in their home states.

Go . . .

OH jeeze I completely read past your time frame . . . sorry (I was talking about Nov

But in any case -- the electioneering is OUT in the country as a whole - not in DC

Last edited by janisj; Feb 19th, 2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd suggest avoiding summer crowds in July & August, also the hottest & most humid months.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can often get good hotel deals from mid-July through August. Many US schools start mid-late August, so late August you would have fewer family crowds and the Federal government is still mostly on vacation. Downside - DC can be very hot and humid in summer months. But everything is air conditioned and if you plan on taking Uber/Lyft you won't melt from all the walking. Monday, Sept 7 is Labor Day - Federal holiday, but most everything is open and date marks the unofficial end of summer.

October is usually a nice weather month, but very busy with conventions and events. (my daughter is getting married in DC end of October and hotel rates are insanely high). And "road trip" from NYC to DC - I suggest train/Amtrak as a car is more trouble and expense than it is worth in either city. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 04:18 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
D.C. is always a zoo, filled with either political or tourist specimens. We lived in D.C. for 20 years, and took care to avoid touring the museums, etc. during the summer months. D.C. can be hot humid and crowded with sticky, sweaty people dragging hot and bored children into and out of museums that are like refrigerators, after queuing in the moist air to enter said museums. November, even in an election year would be okay, though likely grey and cool. Our most recent visit to D.C. was in the month of May and would be my choice; the temperatures are mild, the crowds are low and the museum queues shorter. It's also easier to get a restaurant table (DH and I snagged an outdoor table at the Sculpture Garden cafe, and had no trouble seating at the popular Oyamel for lunch!)
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 08:49 AM

I have traveled to DC many times in late October and early November. I have never had an issue finding lodging. However, I only stayed near the Mall one time. Most other times I have stayed at the Woodley Park Guest House. It is near the zoo but there is a Metro stop just across the street. I found it to be comfortable and well priced.

At this time of year, I rarely stood in a line to see any museum or get into a restaurant. Enjoy.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 04:30 PM
kja

I wouldn't worry about the election per se. I would take the muggy heat and humidity of a DC summer into consideration. Here's a climate data source with a "muggy" index (compliments of another Fodorite, mlgb):
https://weatherspark.com/y/20957/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Last edited by kja; Feb 20th, 2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 04:49 PM

Now that I've actually read your post I personally would do anything to avoid DC in July August early September. The most uncomfortable day I think I've ever experienced was in August in DC. It wasn't even all that hot - maybe only mid 90-ish F. But it rained and the sidewalks were literally steaming.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. I'm surprised that the presidential election seems to make very little difference to DC. I guess I had visions of political rallies or reporters gathering on corners - too much TV! The weather sounds like the biggest concern. I have checked weather averages online, comparing to where we live, in Brisbane. The actual summer temperatures in DC are slightly hotter than Brisbane but we have greater humidity (according to the stats) and we like the heat so are not overly concerned. We'd much rather hot than cold weather (have lived through UK winters, never again).

Gail - thanks for the tip about Labor Day, I had forgotten to check public holidays. It sounds like the Federal Govt has a specific time of year when they have annual leave. That must be a pain for the workers but maybe they have some flexibility. Also I started a thread a while ago looking for road trip ideas and realise now it's not a good idea to drive the distance between NYC and DC. We plan to get the train to somewhere like Annapolis, pick up a car and see some of the general area, maybe drop the car back near or in Washington, before our stay in that city. Still need to sort that bit out.

Fourfortravel - air temperature inside that makes you feel like you're in the Arctic - why, why, why? Don't understand the need to be that cold but we know to take a warm top with us when we leave the hotel so we don't freeze indoors.

gardendiva - the guesthouse near the zoo sounds good, thanks for the tip. My husband wanted to know if you meant it was near The White House

Kay

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 07:21 PM
kja

Originally Posted by KayF
I had forgotten to check public holidays. It sounds like the Federal Govt has a specific time of year when they have annual leave. That must be a pain for the workers but maybe they have some flexibility.
Federal workers (and many others) have off on certain holidays -- called federal holidays -- and unless an "essential worker" (e.g., certain emergency personnal), federal workers are expected to take those days off and they receive pay for those days. As a rule, federal workers have great flexibility about when they take their annual leave -- it is one of the things that many find to be a particular benefit of federal employment in the U.S.

the guesthouse near the zoo sounds good
Another vote of support for the Woodley Park Guest House -- and also the Kalorama Guest House (around the corner), and just one metro stop away, the Tabard Inn.
https://www.woodleyparkguesthouse.co...0aAgdaEALw_wcB
https://kaloramaguesthouse.com/
https://www.tabardinn.com/rooms
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gail - thanks for the tip about Labor Day, I had forgotten to check public holidays. It sounds like the Federal Govt has a specific time of year when they have annual leave. That must be a pain for the workers but maybe they have some flexibility.
As noted, federal workers do not have a required time to take leave during the year but many families, fed and otherwise, do vacation in June-July-August when school is not in session.

More importantly with regard to DC is that Congress and the Supreme Court are in recess in August. That keeps a lot of the business associated with government away from the city then so good weekday hotel rates can often be found late July-August.

Good to know you are accustomed to heat & humidity -- the conditions will be similar in NYC. I live in DC and I thought I was a humidity veteran until I visited Japan in July. Different level of sweat.

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 07:49 PM

'Holiday' in American vernacular just meas one day off - like Labor Day, July 4th etc. Not a 2 or 3 week vacation/holiday.

A and re 'politicking' in DC, Washington DC is just a city where the headquarters of most Federal departments are located - the 'national election' is held/campaigned for in every state / city / county in the country. There are city, state, congressional, senate, dog catcher, local judges, etc races in every corner of the country. In fact there would be LESS going on in DC than in most other cities
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 07:55 PM
kja

Originally Posted by janisj
'There are city, state, congressional, senate, dog catcher, local judges, etc races in every corner of the country. In fact there would be LESS going on in DC than in most other cities
True! Particularly because DC has no official Senators OR Congressmen -- NO voting representation in Congress, just one non-voting representative to the House. That's why DC license plates read "taxation without representation."
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DC has its own municipal elections which look, not coincidentally, like most other locality elections. Not that any of it would impact a visitor which I think was the original question.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by obxgirl
DC has its own municipal elections which look, not coincidentally, like most other locality elections. Not that any of it would impact a visitor which I think was the original question.
That the point I was trying to make -- DC will have its own (relatively small) local municipal races -
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Out of curiosity I looked up the humidity levels in Japan in July. Yikes! Up to 100%. That's really horrible. We have humidity in summer of 72-74% so nowhere near Japan, thank goodness. If anyone is interested, DC humidity levels in summer are 64-66% (according to the timeandate website).

I'm making notes of the accommodation recommendations and will check prices and location (my document with trip notes is getting loooong). Thanks for the links.

Kay
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 04:43 AM

We lived in the DC area for two years and I retired from the USCG to avoid being sent back there. Terrible place in summer or winter.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 05:20 AM

My kids live in DC so I have been there in every season. I'd highly recommend September or October for usually lovely weather. It can start getting chilly in November, although not really wintry yet, just enough for a jacket and maybe a scarf.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 09:57 AM

gardendiva - the guesthouse near the zoo sounds good, thanks for the tip. My husband wanted to know if you meant it was near The White House

Kay
Hahaha. The National Zoo is beautiful and the residence are a bit more enjoyable that those at the White House. The Woodley Park Guest House is on a somewhat residential street. There is a huge hotel across the street. In the morning you can hear the kids walking to school. It is very nice.

I did stay next to the White House on one trip. I did not find it any more convenient than staying in Woodley Park.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info, it's all useful.

To Bobmrg - DC is not high on my list but my husband spent days just in one museum (air and space) when he was much younger and is keen to return. It does mean he owes me

Kay

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -