Search

Costa Rica during Holy Week

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica during Holy Week

We'll be in the Manuel Antonio area April 8 to 13, which includes Good Friday, the national holiday on Saturday, and Easter Sunday. I've heard that most businesses shut down for that week, that the buses don't run on Thursday and Friday, and that no liquor sales are allowed Thursday to Sunday. Is all of that true? Will some markets be open for us to get provisions? What about the national park? Any other restrictions during that time? Thank you, in advance, for your help.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 09:58 AM

I believe that the national park is open on all holidays unless they fall on a Monday since the park is always closed on that day. MA is supposed to be crazy around Easter - very popular for locals to go to the beach during that time.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 05:41 AM

Keep in mind that Costa Ricans get those days off too, so they like to go to the beach. With Manuel Antonio being easily accessible from San Jose, it gets very crowded there during Holy Week. At such a popular tourist destination, some stores will be open for you to get provisions. Holy Thursday and Good Friday (April 9 and 10) are the days with all the restrictions. Saturday and Easter Sunday, no so much. Thursday and Friday are legally dry days. Stores cannot sell alcohol .Bars and liquor stores are closed and restaurants can serve only non-alcoholic beverages. Most public transportation shuts down on Thursday and Friday, but taxis do operate. It's hard to know what the impact will be of Juan Santamaria Day (April 11) falling that weekend. Like I say, there will be places open. They don't let all those visitors starve. As volcanogirl says, the park is open every day except Monday. That includes holidays.
Old May 1st, 2020, 12:15 PM

I was in Manuel Antonio for Holy Week 2019. The park is open all days including holidays except Mondays all year. There are a lot of shops that are closed but some super markets and all restaurants are open. They have loosened the restrictions on alcohol they were selling it at restaurants on Thursday in San Jose and Friday in Manuel Antonio. See my profile for more about the week
Old May 1st, 2020, 05:19 PM

To the OP, I take it your trip had to be cancelled.

I remember the days when everything closed Thursday and Friday of Holy Week. If you weren't stocked up with food by Wednesday night, you were in trouble. One year, Pizza Hut announced that it would stay open both those days. (They were not going to serve any meat on their pizzas on Good Friday.) They caught a lot of flack for even staying open.

Most businesses are still closed, but it's not as rigid as it used to be.

Last edited by Jeff_Costa_Rica; May 1st, 2020 at 05:24 PM.