Luxury Cruise or Tours - Egypt with a fit 75 young aunt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just starting my investigation of a possible 10 day trip to Egypt (from USA) with an active 75 year young aunt, who has always wanted to see Egypt. I checked out National Geographic but their cruises are already sold out for 2020. Was thinking Autumn 2002 and light to moderate activity level as we make our way down the Nile via boat or land transport. Do you have a favourite travel company, even if you didn't travel to Egypt, that you could recommend? A related question, to guarantee 2 beds, do we have to book as singles or are there options? Thanks for getting me started....
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 07:00 PM

We went with Memphis Tours for our visit to Cairo, Luxor and a cruise down the Nile. They have many itineraries to suit your needs. Had a driver to ourselves in Cairo but were with a 10 person group on the cruise.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 09:13 AM

I'd use a local (to Egypt) company and have them customize a tour. The cruise on the Nile is well worth doing, IMO, Read some of the trip reports here - there are a number of recommendations.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:00 PM

We had a beautiful Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan with this company. https://www.nourelnil.com/ The style, service and food was wonderful. They even made special arrangements to accommodate a woman who had broken her ankle earlier in her trip. They may be able to arrange other travel in Egypt or can recommend a travel company (their website shows they also now have their own guesthouse). We booked everything else for Egypt on our own. Enjoy planning your trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 02:10 PM

Land and cruise tour of Egypt

Adventures Abroad ( a Canadian company) has a great 2 week tour of Egypt. It includes a 3 night cruise. You will cover the Nile from Alexandria down to Abu Simbel, just not in that order. The days are busy. Breakfast and dinner are included each day of the tour. I went with them in Oct. 2017.

There is just so much to see in Egypt. It is overwhelming and awe inspiring.

The tombs you never hear about are the most interesting. Some of the wall paintings look like they were just recently completed.

In Egypt, King Tut is considered No Big Deal...it's Ramses II who commands the most respect.

Any serious travel should certainly go to Egypt. But it is a very poor country and there are a lot of beggars and trash and the drivers are CRAZY. If beggars or sellers try to get in your way SPEAK UP...LOUDLY and they will back away. They're not used to a woman asserting herself and don't know how to handle it.

It really is a trip of a lifetime and shouldn't be missed.
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 08:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had an amazing trip to Egypt with Odysseys Unlimited. It included four night cruise on Lake Nasser and a three night cruise on the Nile. Lake Nasser gave us amazing access to hard to get to antiquities including Abu Simbel where we pulled up to the shore and anchored very close to this treasure.
Excellent guide, terrific hotels, all went so well and we saw a wow! every single day.
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 08:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laurie_ann
We had a beautiful Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan with this company. https://www.nourelnil.com/ The style, service and food was wonderful. They even made special arrangements to accommodate a woman who had broken her ankle earlier in her trip. They may be able to arrange other travel in Egypt or can recommend a travel company (their website shows they also now have their own guesthouse). We booked everything else for Egypt on our own. Enjoy planning your trip!
Regarding the guesthouse mentioned, Beit Sabée, I stayed for a couple of nights and was disappointed. You can read what I wrote about it here: https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/in-egypt-sleeping
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 03:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The Nile cruises are short so don’t think it is the main focus. Luxor to Aswan or reverse. Three or four days only.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 11:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Gina, we just returned from two weeks in Egypt. We couldn't fit a Nile cruise into our itinerary, unfortunately, but we used Go Luxor Tours. They're excellent and I know they also arrange Nile cruises. Great drivers and Egyptologists who speak excellent English. We're "of a certain age" and it was all doable. Lots of walking on old, uneven pavement, but your aunt can go at her own pace and it should be fine. You'll both love it!