Anniversary Trip—Help me choose an island!

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anniversary Trip—Help me choose an island!

We are planning an anniversary trip in June, and I feel like I have done so much research my head is spinning. I’m looking for honest reviews from people who have experienced the islands. We enjoy snorkeling, hiking, culture, and the beach (duh! Lol). I am open to any and all suggestions! We have been to quite a few islands and don’t want to duplicate, so open to anywhere except: Puerto Rico, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Belize, Mexico, and Jamaica.

We have been looking closely at: St Kitts, St Croix, Anguilla, Antigua, but willing to look elsewhere!
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 06:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Snorkeling and hiking? St John, absolutely.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 04:45 AM

If snorkeling is a high priority for you strike St. Kitts off your list. The island lacks a near shore reef system so there is very little snorkeling to speak of. To put things in perspective no one goes to St. Kitts for the snorkeling. On the plus side you'll find some very good hiking around the island.

Likewise, Antigua has very little "walk-in" snorkeling but has plenty of very nice beaches.

Anguilla has a few decent snorkeling spots and some of the most incredible white sand beaches in the world. The island is flat so if by hiking you mean trekking through mountainous rainforest you'll be disappointed.

As the previous poster suggested St. John (USVI's) offers a great combination of hiking and snorkeling.

You might also want to consider visiting the British Virgin Islands - they offer great beaches, very good to excellent snorkeling and plenty of hiking opportunities.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 11:02 AM

Antigua,Bonaire and St.John are great for snorkeling and beach! We love the Caribbean so much we take cruises there very often. We usually go with a cruise rather then on our own... I also suggest Cabo San Lucas and Cozumel in Mexico and Barbados and Turk islands...
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We really enjoyed The Buccaneer, on St Croix, for a week-long family celebration. We needed a US property, because one of us didn't have a current passport.
It's lovely, with great customer service, in a gorgeous setting, and an amazing breakfast buffet included. Snorkel gear, kayaks and boogie boards are complimentary at the resort. A snorkel excursion to Buck Island picks up at the hotel dock. It is not an action-packed, all-inclusive, boozey place. Perfect for relaxing and feeling safe walking around.
https://www.thebuccaneer.com/?utm_so...k-localconnect
We rented a car on-site for one day, to travel around the island, explore Rainbow Beach (and grab a snack at a bar called Rhythms-- https://www.rainbowbeachstx.com/), the towns, beer-drinking pigs, and to visit the easternmost point of the U.S. It is easily done in one day. I'd say, in general, it's a very simple island and may not be attractive is you're looking for night-life and glamour.
We also took a cab into town one night for a very nice dinner at Savant. https://savantstx.com/
Most of us took free scuba lessons, then went into town to take a real scuba diving experience.
The resort is family-owned, and the current owner takes guests on a walking tour of the property every week, plus hosts a cocktail party. One thing I noticed while there, is that their little gift shop does not gouge you for items like flip flops, hats and sunscreen. Bug repellant is provided in the rooms.

Last edited by MoBro; Feb 25th, 2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by katepcoss
Antigua,Bonaire and St.John are great for snorkeling and beach!
Bonaire doesn’t have any beaches. Snorkelling in Antigua is not the best.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We have settled on St John!
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HoustonJetSetter
Thanks everyone! We have settled on St John!
You’ll love it! We were there in January and had a great time.
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 04:13 AM

Antigua has beautiful long beaches, and 365 of them Also, you can enjoy al sorts of water sports, like kayaking, wind surfing, catamaran tours, snorkeling, sailing, diving... It's one happy and colorful island.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 03:29 PM

As a clue, St. Lucia has consistently been winning the award as the best honeymoon destination in the entire Caribbean. Good luck.
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:51 PM

Bonaire no beach Excellent snorkeling