The Dreamliner Safe?

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dreamliner Safe?

Getting flight information for family. Flying DEN to Athens. The best option seems to be American Airlines DEN to ORD then on to Athens. Just had a look at airplanes they use and it’s a Boeing 788-787 which is the Dreamliner. A bit of research and discovered there have been problems . Any opinions as to its safety ?
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 08:16 PM

Well, one cannot do more than what you already did: Google the issue and read the articles from news outlets that have a certain reputation and make your own risk assessment.
At the end of the day it will be your trip.
And if you feel uneasy to fly with your family on a certain type of aircraft it will be a bad start and end of your vacation.
Nevertheless, if you look for alternatives, keep in mind that airlines may change equipment short notice. So to avoid getting on a Dreamliner service, you'd need to choose an airline which does not have them in their fleet at all (which you can check with seatguru.com, for example).
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Have been doing just that. It seems some airlines will sometimes substitute another plane for the Dreamliner and have found that delays can also be a factor. In checking all possible alternatives American Airlines offer the best flight itineraries by far. In all my years of flying I have never been confronted with such a dilemma. Will now look at flight delays for the Dreamliner.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 03:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We had a lot of space workers go to Charleston for jobs after the shuttle program shut down. They were so used to safety and the paper trail that it sort of freaked them out how lax Boeing was. It was not a Union workforce at the time. They all left as soon as spacex and Blue Horizon started hiring. I try to fly airbus but we also have a Boeing flight coming up on Virgin but don't think it is a Dreamliner.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 04:04 AM

Virgin have Dreamliners, I have travelled on them and very nice it was too. They also have 747s but not sure what routes they operate on anymore, used to be mainly Caribbean routes.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 05:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
<<Will now look at flight delays for the Dreamliner.>>

Delays caused by weather, crew timing out, ground delays, ATC, or mechanical only?

Will you also compare the make of engines that were installed on the plane?

Do you have a preference for GE, RR or P&W engines?

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

I did a bit of research and one article ( the Guardian ? not sure ) pretty much determined my final decision. It listed all the incidents for theDreamliner in the last couple of years. I had hoped that most of the problems had been early on but many were 2019 even a couple for 2020. There were enough incidents of varying nature that it scared me. I did find a good itinerary for DEN to Athens on British Airlines. We flew them last year DEN to LHR overnight at LHR and morning flight to Athens.

In regard to delays in Dreamliner flights some seemed to be mechanical but my feeling was that this is a problematic plane with perhaps more issues than Airbus or 747’s etc.

I do appreciate all comments.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 03:19 AM

You'll find problems with all planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...he_Airbus_A330

https://aeronauticsonline.com/a-look...350-incidents/

You're more at risk driving to the airport.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 11:49 AM

Having a 787 on my itinerary would be a plus for me over other plane types.

>> perhaps more issues than Airbus or 747’s etc.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 01:16 PM
J62

Out of curiosity I google searched "accidents & office chairs".
Frightenting.

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 01:19 PM

Give it up.
Logic and statistics have no place when " feelings" are involved.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 01:50 PM

Except Boeing covers up a lot of stuff. The Shuttle workers from were used to very rigid safety inspections and they didn't have the same protocol. They would find tools inside of panels and just shoddy work but the pay scale was very bad. Many had non compete clauses in order to get the severance pay so they went to Wallops Island or there for work till the year was up.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...7-safety-fears

MCO to Gatwick is my flight in May and June.

Last edited by Macross; Feb 10th, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Macross
Except Boeing covers up a lot of stuff. The Shuttle workers from were used to very rigid safety inspections and they didn't have the same protocol. They would find tools inside of panels and just shoddy work but the pay scale was very bad. Many had non compete clauses in order to get the severance pay so they went to Wallops Island or there for work till the year was up.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...7-safety-fears

MCO to Gatwick is my flight in May and June.
I see , you "know a guy" so now you are expert on Boeing.

Similar to getting advice from a sex therapist that is a virgin.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 02:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cdnyul

Historytraveler: I would much rather fly in a Dreamliner than your other options.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by cdnyul

I have lived on the space coast since 87 and the crews were all in my husband's shop that worked in Charleston for the year. A couple were NASA employees. They are now working for Blue Horizon and SpaceX. My ex worked for Boeing. But WTH, I should just not answer a question. I did see the stripped-down plane at Daytona. It was the Dreamliner without seats or panels that they brought in for Emory Riddle. We got to walk all around it and sit in the cockpit. I can fly space a and we don't want to fly on the new Boeing refueler. They are still working out the kinks.

Did you even read the guardian article?
Why so mean? It has been a rough day for me and I don't really need your crap. I lost a very dear friend today killed in a car accident in Wales.50 years old. It doesn't matter really what you fly or drivei does it?

Last edited by Macross; Feb 10th, 2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

I have done further research and finding that the Dreamliner safety may not be as bad as I had originally thought. I had gone to the website Traveler-Nick mentioned. In fact it was the one that I saw that made me think Dreamliner no way. So I went back and plugged in the 747, as well as the several Air Bus planes and they too mentioned a number of incidents. I also googled a number of sites listing safest aircraft. The Dreamliner came up on all. Of course not having a fatal crash pushes you to the top but that’s not a negative.

I am not traveling with family but will be purchasing tickets. I have now narrowed flights down to BA and American and will give them all the information I have and let them make the decision.

I really appreciate all your comments and they have been helpful to an A type personality with a tendency to compulsive obsessive.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Macross so very sorry about your lost. I agree with you about some on this site having a tendency toward being a bit negative. I have been here a longtime and have learned to dismiss it, but the poster had no idea about your loss. No excuse. There are more positive ways to make one’s point.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:32 PM

historytraveler

I fly to Europe, on average, every six to eight weeks, either with Lufthansa, Air Canada or American Airlines.

I am a safety fanatic.

In my previous careers, I have been responsible for maintaining lifeboats, fire fighting equipment, working on high construction sites for GCs who, if I let them, have me die than spend money on proper scaffolding.

Currently, I own a business that inspects and certifies central fire alarms systems.

Regardless of how often I have flow, I have a routine that I follow:
- I avoid the window seat, I want to have least obstacles between me and the emergency exit.
-I always check that there is a life jacket where it is supposed to be.
-I always count the number of seats between mine and emergency exits, I know from my firefighting training how quickly closed compartments fill up with smoke and feel might be the only sense available.
- I always read the safety card, whenever seated in emergency row, I do a "dry run" opening.
-I pay attention to other passengers and their behaviour during the safety demo, are they attentive or arrogant?
- I observe the behaviour of the cabin crew, are they focused and are they quick to stop any disobedience from passengers. I don't care if the crew is friendly or pleasant, I want ruthlessly efficient and firm.

When I hear "cross check" I want to see their heads turn to check the slide setting across.

Given a choice between AA and BA I would pick BA. Lately I have observed a trend on AA that disturbs me, bending of rules, allowing passengers to stand when told not to, etc.

Big problems are usually a sum of small problems, complacency and omissions.

Last edited by cdnyul; Feb 10th, 2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I appreciate your input.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:45 PM

@ Macross
I am sorry to hear about your friend, lost a good of about the same age few years ago.
I got a sense from your previous posts in this thread that you a have a personal bias against Boeing, I apologize if am wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -