Norway Fjord Itinerary Help!

Old Jan 31st, 2020, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway Fjord Itinerary Help!

We’re planning on traveling in Norway via car in mid May. I am trying to make the best use of our time in the fjord areas once we leave Oslo. We will have 6 days for this adventure before we’ll need to start heading south towards Copenhagen. I know that road closures may still be an issue in this area in mid May so I’m looking for advice from those that may have made this journey before us. Here is my thoughts based upon research I’ve done- although my head is spinning and I’m afraid of mistakenly getting on a ferry boat to Greenland-

Day 1: Oslo to somewhere near Lom

Day 2: Lom to Geirangerfjord(up north and around via E136)

Day 3: Ferry from a Geiranger to Hellesylt and then on to Solvorn

Day 4: Solvorn to Kaupanger, ferry to Gudvangen, maybe backtrack towards Flåm and Aurland and then continue towards Bergen and stay in ??

Day 5: On to Bergen

Day 6: Bergen

Any thoughts and suggestions (hotels or sights) or comments like “This will never work” are greatly appreciated-
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 07:13 AM

Are you planning to take the car to Copenhagen and leaving it there? Is this a one-way rental? If so, an alternative which might not be much more expensive would be to take the train to Bergen (you could skip the Norway in a Nutshell itinerary) and then rent a car from Bergen to Trondheim. Fly from Trondheim to Copenhagen. The time you save by flying to Denmark could be added to the road trip. We did the Oslo to Trondheim itinerary, including the NIN part which we could have skipped, and wrote a trip report. Click on my name to find it.

https://flic.kr/p/7qsFJG
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by BoiseDebbie
We’re planning on traveling in Norway via car in mid May. I am trying to make the best use of our time in the fjord areas once we leave Oslo. We will have 6 days for this adventure before we’ll need to start heading south towards Copenhagen. I know that road closures may still be an issue in this area in mid May so I’m looking for advice from those that may have made this journey before us. Here is my thoughts based upon research I’ve done- although my head is spinning and I’m afraid of mistakenly getting on a ferry boat to Greenland-

Day 1: Oslo to somewhere near Lom

Day 2: Lom to Geirangerfjord(up north and around via E136)

Day 3: Ferry from a Geiranger to Hellesylt and then on to Solvorn

Day 4: Solvorn to Kaupanger, ferry to Gudvangen, maybe backtrack towards Flåm and Aurland and then continue towards Bergen and stay in ??

Day 5: On to Bergen

Day 6: Bergen

Any thoughts and suggestions (hotels or sights) or comments like “This will never work” are greatly appreciated-
Near or in Lom: Elveseter or in Lom: Fossheim or Fossberg
Solvorn: Villa Solvorn, there are other guesthouses.
Bergen: maybe something like https://goo.gl/maps/MeyANUkK7ePEEsWx9
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 11:04 AM

Maybe a Hurtigruten cruise for part of the trip? You can take the car on the ferry and see the fjords, etc from the water for a few days. Their customer service is very good and they can give you a price for the trip from the nearest port they serve then you end up in Bergen, There are many ferry services in that area and you can even get to Copenhagen by ferry.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!

I truly appreciate all of those that took the time to answer my question. So nice to have suggestions from those that have gone before. I am looking at all the options suggested. Thank you!
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 08:41 PM

My wife and I are also planning a trip to Norway for this June. We are also intending to start in Oslo. Our plan is to take the train to Bergen and then rent a car and see the fjords. I was thinking of ending up somewhere further north, perhaps Trondheim, and then fly home (Boston) from there. I'm wondering why you instead are stopping in Lom and then driving around with Bergen your final destination. Does that make more sense? If so, in what way?
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jim52
My wife and I are also planning a trip to Norway for this June. We are also intending to start in Oslo. Our plan is to take the train to Bergen and then rent a car and see the fjords. I was thinking of ending up somewhere further north, perhaps Trondheim, and then fly home (Boston) from there. I'm wondering why you instead are stopping in Lom and then driving around with Bergen your final destination. Does that make more sense? If so, in what way?
Lom gets you Jotunheimen, Sognefjell and Sognefjord, and/or access to Geirangerfjord and Geiranger by ferry from Hellesylt. And it's a great destination in its own right, rightly popular as a holiday destination with Norwegians themselves, because "friluftsliv".

That and Lom has Norway's best and most interesting bakery.

I don't think you can fly to Boston from Trondheim?
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jim52
From Trondheim you probably would fly either to Oslo or Copenhagen to connect with a flight to Boston. For travels between Bergen and Trondheim you might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Do tell what bakery in Lom? My husband is all about bakeries and beer- and not necessarily in that order!