50th anniversary United Kingdom or Turkey and Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to go on a short cruise or a private tour in the United Kingdom OR Turkey and Greece. Which would be more interesting and beautiful ? Please give me an idea where to spend my time researching for the trip. I would appreciate your input . Not sure the time we would be going. Just starting.... Thank you
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 05:52 PM
kja

They are all wonderful and all easy to visit on your own. Which to visit depends on your interests. I would urge you to go to your local library or book store, where you can browse guidebooks, perhaps the one with high quality photographs.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
UK for medieval history; Greece for Classical history; Turkey and Crete for neolithic, ancient and classical history.

Greece and Turkey for private cruises.

Turkey for all inclusive hotels with great beaches and golf

UK for literature and theatre. Boris Johnson for humour

Turkey for forests, waterfalls, canyons,
Turkey and Greece for mountains, monasteries

UK for pubs, Michelin star restaurants
Turkey and Greece for great local foods, fish and meze and outdoor cafes.
UK for High Tea. Turkey and Greece for outdoor tea gardens with views.

UK for humour. Greece and Turkey for friendly natives

Greece and Turkey for self driving and/or bus, UK for driven car and/or train.
Turkey for domestic flights.

Turkey for budget travel, Greece medium range and UK the dearest.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 11:09 PM

>>> Which would be more interesting and beautiful ?
What you are asking are subjective questions -- matter of personal taste. If you are ok taking the words of others at face value, then your approach is relevant.

However nowadays with internet and travel guides from a library, you can easily search destinations matching your, not someone else's, interests.
There are books like DK Eyewitness Travel Guides with a lot photographs.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 05:35 AM

we are so very excited to be going to turkey this summer for 3 weeks. for the first time, I used Zicasso and was referred to an amazing agent. we are going to istambul, capodocia and then kalkan for 12 days. the history, activities and food have me so excited.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 06:07 PM
kja

@ otherchelebi: Interesting summary!
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 06:53 PM

I love what I have seen of the UK. When we go to London, we often see a play or attend a concert every single day, ride one of the canal boats and browse markets. I absolutely adore Bath for the history, the beautiful architecture, and the Roman Baths. Churches and cathedrals like Westminster are all over and so interesting. You can eat in the crypts. There are fun things like canal boats and all the literary connections in England. English history, all the kings and queens, and royal life comes alive at the tower and palaces. There are things my husband really loved that were not so exciting to me, but might be for you, things like Stonehenge and Greenwich. I enjoy some of the very old shops with original fixtures and cases, like the oldest art store, smelling of paint and with well oiled floors and cabinets reached by high ladders. Doesn’t matter if you are an artist or not, the place is truly special. Stroll through parks with the biggest roses I have ever seen and stand with the crowd in the Globe Theatre. Since we love theater and history, and it is easy to reach, we have been a few times and always love it. We are more city people, but the countryside is beautiful too, and you would be spoiled with lovely villages and places to walk.

Turkey was on my dream list for years. I loved it and wish I could return and see more. We saw only three places, and all were unique and exotic to my eyes.
Cappadocia is nearly indescribable. It is other worldly. Look at pictures. We stayed in a fabulous cave hotel, did a hot air balloon flight, hiked a bit and toured the underground city. Amazing landscape and history and warm and lovely people.
Archeological sites are a passion for me, so Ephesus was high on my lists of places to see. It is very beautiful and extremely interesting historically, architecturally and socially. It would interest anyone, but an interest in ancient history makes this a treasure.
Istanbul is a city filled with beautiful mosques, markets, palaces, wonderful, wonderful food, water views, cats, dogs, friendly people. No matter how much time you have, IMHO, it would not seem enough.

I loved Athens and the archeological sites, but did not spend enough time to give any worthwhile opinions.