Poland to Slovakia car rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can one rent a car in Poland and drive it into Slovakia? If so, which rental company is best?
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 08:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
According to their website, SIXT is willing to to it for a drop of fee of CDN$560.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

We willl be returning the car to Poland.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:49 AM

You need to check the driving abroad restrictions for each rental company. This will tell you if you can drive the car into other countries and if so, which ones & how much it would cost. Check the info on the website
When you pick the rental car up, you need to tell the rental agent of your intention to take the car out of the country.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mati
We willl be returning the car to Poland.
Any rental company has a "Terms and Conditions" section on their website.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Call Autoeurope or Kemwel. They will be able to tell you under what conditions you can rent a car through them.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. We always use Autoeurope, so check their restrictions before booking, , but I was curious to see if it was possible before we book flights.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 01:12 AM

Autoeurope only brokers rentals for "real companies" like Avis, Sixt, or local companies.
It has become more or less the "norm" that rental car companies add fees "per country" - especially/ always for low cost offers.
It's usually not a big thing, e.g. 10-30 euro per country. Or x euro per day with a cap at x days.
In these cases you pay for the permission to drive in Slovakia, and no side trips to CZ, for example.
But, of course, the fineprint of each individual offer rules.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 08:35 AM

I think this is often an issue of insurance, and in a few cases, because a country has a high rate of car theft or something like that (as to why they don't want you going there). I think Poland has a high car theft rate so they probably won't care.

FYI, Hertz in Poland allows it, for one, these are their terms:
<<Hertz vehicles cannot be driven into and/or dropped off in any African, Asian or Middle-East countries nor in Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Georgia, Greece, Ireland, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia (including Kosovo), Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom.

In addition to this, Hertz vehicles may not be taken off the European continent.
Hertz vehicles may be driven to and dropped off in Austria, Belgium, Croatia (Zagreb, Rijeka only), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia (Tallinn only), Finland (Helsinki only), France, Germany*, Hungary (Budapest only), Italy, Latvia (Riga only), Lithuania (Vilnius only), Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (Barcelona and Madrid only), Sweden and Switzerland with an intercity fee, the amount of which will be advised at the time of reservation.

Hertz vehicles may be driven to but not dropped off in Andorra.>>
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 08:44 AM

The above post is copied from the driving restrictions page which I referred to in my above post. All rental companies have a similar paragraph with this type of info.
IME rental companies have different policies concerning taking cars out of the original pickup country; I take my rental car from Sweden across to Denmark sometimes, one rental company just notes it on the rental agreement but another one charges a fee of about EUR40.