Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there any public transport between Banff and Glacier in Montana?

Old Sep 30th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am considering a trip next summer to Banff and would like to spend another week in Glacier NP in Montana. I'm planning on renting a car when I fly into Calgary but know that I can not drop it off in Montana. Is there a way to drop it somewhere in Banff and then get from Banff to Glacier NP by bus or train?

Thanks
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 10:16 PM

I don't think so.

I'm 100% sure there is no way to travel by train between them. 99% sure there's no bus either.

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of bus or at least shuttle service between Banff and Calgary.

There is a bus between Calgary and Lethbridge. https://redarrow.ca/

There is about 150km between Lethbridge and Glacier NP. Perhaps you should spend the night in Lethbridge and start hitchhiking early in the morning. I don't think there is much traffic on these roads, but locals in these rural areas tend to be quite friendly, helpful and relaxed and unless you look very scary like a grizzly, I'm pretty sure you'll get there eventually.

If you have more time and feel more adventurous you might try hitchhiking all the way down via the Rockies. Surely more beautiful than via Calgary and Lethbridge.

Just don't panic and don't forget your towel!

Last edited by BDKR; Oct 1st, 2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 10:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I'm planning on renting a car when I fly into Calgary but know that I can not drop it off in Montana.<<

What makes you think that is so???

Yes, there are one way rentals between the two countries - just expect to pay a premium.
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 07:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Quite a few years ago my DW and I went to Jasper on the ViaRail Canadian. We rented a car that had to be returned where we rented it and it had a 200 mile limit. We got back on the next weeks Canadian to Vancouver. We spent a night in Vancouver and then took an Amtrak bus to Seattle. From Seattle we took the Empire Builder overnight to Whitefish Montana. We were picked up by the shuttle from the Meadow Lake Resort. The next day Enterprise picked us up at the resort. We got to drive into Glacier NP and did see Lake McDonald. I took a couple of pictures at the spot where Ansel Adams took a a famous picture.
Enterprise allowed us to leave the car at the Whitefish Amtrak station. We took the Empire Builder east to Chicago from there.
The smaller car rental dealers want their cars returned to them instead of having to go get their inventory.
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 08:58 AM

We did a Glacier and Banff trip a few years ago. Flew round trip Calgary, picked car up and returned it there with no issues. You could do the same from a Montana airport like Kalispell.