Guatemala or Ecuador?

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guatemala or Ecuador?

Hello!
I am planning a solo 8- or 9-day trip for February 2020 and have narrowed it down to two choices: Guatemala and Ecuador. I realize they are pretty different countries in a lot of ways but do people here have any preferences?

For Ecuador, I'm thinking of a trip centered around Quito and Cuena (with a few side trips to national parks, market towns, etc.) while in Guatemala I'm considering stays in Antigua, Lake Atitlán and possibly Tikal.

I'm in my 40s, fairly well-traveled, and enjoy colonial cities, ancient ruins, markets and dramatic scenery. I speak just a little Spanish (though I'm working to improve it). Also, I'm hoping for some nice weather (this being February), which seems doable in Guatemala; I wonder if Ecuador is less consistent in that department? (I've also posted this on the Ecuador thread.)

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 06:26 AM

Rain would be more likely than not for Ecuador in February.

I'd go with Guatemala if you can brush up on your Spanish a bit. I've been only to Antigua but thought it was wonderful.

Quito is very hectic, Cuenca less so.

Ecuador is a bit thin on ruins. Guatemala of course has Tikal.

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 06:29 AM

Rain would be more likely than not for Ecuador in February.

I'd go with Guatemala if you can brush up on your Spanish a bit. I've been only to Antigua but thought it was wonderful. Note that Guatemala is on itineraries for the Panama Canal transit cruises, so you might run into cruise passengers in Antigua during the day. Fewer passengers go to Tikal.

Quito is very hectic, Cuenca less so.

Ecuador is a bit thin on ruins. Guatemala of course has Tikal.

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 07:33 AM

Guatemala! You can spend 3 days in Antigua and 3 days at Lake Atitlan and still have time to make a day trip to Tikal. You will be fine with any Spanish as there are plenty of English speakers. The weather will be great in February (it is the Land of Eternal Spring for a reason).
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 10:14 AM

Guatemala would have my vote, too, plus it's easier to get to. I wouldn't consider a day trip to Tikal but you could fit in an overnight if you fly and/or use the overnight buses so don't lose a day each side to travel.
My photos with blog links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there.
Happy trails!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your thoughts. That's helpful to know about the weather in Ecuador. I've got a Spanish class on my agenda starting next month.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback. That's very helpful.

catspajamas I like the time allotment you suggest.
hopefulist Yes, definitely an overnight + flight for Tikal. Thanks too for the link!

I'll weigh this out some more but Guatemala is sounding good. Any other thoughts are appreciated!
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 07:06 PM

Ecuador also presents some major issues with altitude adjustment: Quito (9,300 ft) and Cuenca (8,300 ft).
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 08:18 PM

Guides for Tikal - I always book in advance. All time favorite is archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz, absolutely amazing: TIKAL ROXY'S TOURS
Marlon Diáz is another great one: www.gemtrips.com

Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:
Adrenalina Tours: http://www.adrenalinatours.com
Rainbow Travel: http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

Our favorite private driver, Alfredo Garcia, is bilingual, personable, prompt, and safe, and has nice vehicles: [email protected]

Happy trails!
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

hopefulist Thank you for the guide and tour info. I will keep this on hand.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Good points. I believe only La Paz is higher in terms of South American capitals.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 01:46 AM

Gotta thank you for all this - I'll use it when I return to Guatemala! Very helpful!