787 Dreamliners and jet lag

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2019, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the 787 helps reduce jet lag due to its design and construction. We have a 14.5 hr. flight next year on one. and AC DEL-ORD with a stop in Vancouver.
Has anyone ever had along flight on one and if so how did it effect jet lag if at all?

Thank you
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 07:16 AM
P_M

I was on a flight from SFO to SIN, it was around 17 hours. I've also flown LHR to AUS on the 787. I'm sorry to say this but the jet lag was no better for me. But everyone is different and I'm sure others will disagree.

I did like the bigger windows on the 787.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

That’s ok. Thank you for the reply. Our flight leaves DEL at 0545 so there is that to consider too.
Larry
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 10:44 AM

Larry, I have been on several 787 flights (EZE-LAX was one of them). Jet lag is supposed to be reduced because cabin pressurization is for a lower altitude and the lights are supposed to more simulate the phases of the sun, it did not work for me.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 11:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is improved comfort but IME/IMO while the flight is feels better the jet lag is exactly the same.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 12:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I flew it NYC-NBO last year, about 15 hours each way. It didn't help with jetlag much but I didn't get nearly as dehydrated as I usually do and my sinuses weren't too dry, so I think there is something positive to the air quality.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
I suppose we will have to see for ourselves though I hope there is some improvement. A lady I know said she felt more refreshed after her flight ORD-CDG which is a shorter flight, long but not in the teens.
We shall see.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 08:35 PM

May be placebo effect, but the extra moisture in the cabin environment did seem to make a difference for me. Still had to contend with some jet lag, but it seemed to be less than in other aircraft.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seamus
May be placebo effect, but the extra moisture in the cabin environment did seem to make a difference for me. Still had to contend with some jet lag, but it seemed to be less than in other aircraft.
Thank you.
Im hoping for the best. We will just have to wait and see.
Our flight will be 0545 but we will be tired for sure as we have to be up much earlier of course so we will be tired at the beginning of the day. However the ticket was a biz freebie from UA so you take what you can get.
We do plan to check in to an airport hotel the day before to make it easier for us.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 08:53 AM

janisj and amyb make sense. The flight should be more comfortable but you still have to deal with the time change and its affect on your circadian rhythm.

I see the flight to YVR takes 14 hours 5 min and arrives at 7:30 AM. It departs DEL at 5:55 AM. Air Canada flight 45.

Say you want to sleep 6 hours and wake up 1.5 hours before arrival. That would mean that you would want to stay up for the first 6.5 hours of the flight. That would mean getting to sleep at about 12:30 PM Delhi time or midnight Vancouver time. You have another 2 hour time change going to ORD.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
janisj and amyb make sense. The flight should be more comfortable but you still have to deal with the time change and its affect on your circadian rhythm.

I see the flight to YVR takes 14 hours 5 min and arrives at 7:30 AM. It departs DEL at 5:55 AM. Air Canada flight 45.

Say you want to sleep 6 hours and wake up 1.5 hours before arrival. That would mean that you would want to stay up for the first 6.5 hours of the flight. That would mean getting to sleep at about 12:30 PM Delhi time or midnight Vancouver time. You have another 2 hour time change going to ORD.
Thats pretty close. The latest update says a 0545 arrival from DEL getting into YVR 0650. I have not been getting emails from UAL regarding changes in flight times. I discovered them by logging on to the website. Two calls to UAL and an email did nothing so I messaged them on their fb page and did get prompt responses. They did say its on their end and apparently fixed something so this issue should be resolved.
By the time we arrive in YVR our body clocks were be used to about 8PM ish.
I imagine we will nap soon after take off as we have to be up quite early for check in. Then lets see how it goes.
Thank you for your input. Its best to be at least somewhat awake by the time we hit YVR. Our onward flight gets in around 1600 to ORD. I imagine we will sleep well. I hope.
Its around a 3 week trip BTW.

Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 04:01 PM

I think people are conflating two things here. There's jet lag, which is dealing with the time difference. Then there are the effects of being on a long flight. They are not the same thing, although they may feed off each other. OP could be transported to India in the snap of a finger, but would still have to contend with the time difference, essentially flipping days and nights around. That would still take several days to adjust completely. The 787 simulates cabin pressure to 5,000 feet instead of the standard 8,000 feet. (I think those are the numbers.) I flew to China on one last year and it did make a difference. After a 13-hour flight, I didn't feel quite so wiped out, but it was still a 13-hour flight and it was still an 11-hour time difference between China and USA. I still was wide awake at 2 am in my Beijing hotel and needed a nap at 2 pm those first few days.

Last edited by Jeff_Costa_Rica; Sep 2nd, 2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeff_Costa_Rica
I think people are conflating two things here. There's jet lag, which is dealing with the time difference. Then there are the effects of being on a long flight. They are not the same thing, although they may feed off each other. OP could be transported to India in the snap of a finger, but would still have to contend with the time difference, essentially flipping days and nights around. That would still take several days to adjust completely. The 787 simulates cabin pressure to 5,000 feet instead of the standard 8,000 feet. (I think those are the numbers.) I flew to China on one last year and it did make a difference. After a 13-hour flight, I didn't feel quite so wiped out, but it was still a 13-hour flight and it was still an 11-hour time difference between China and USA. I still was wide awake at 2 am in my Beijing hotel and needed a nap at 2 pm those first few days.
Thank you. That makes sense.
For us the jet lag effect seems longer to adjust to coming home to Chicago from Asia or Oz than going out. When we went to Sydney we had one mega sleep day, easily 12 hrs but after that it’s wasnt too bad but going home took much longer.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 12:55 PM

Jeff, one man's conflation is another's aggregation, I guess. I consider jet lag as the sum total of the effect of all the potential irritants in long distance travel. Thus, altering one or more of the inputs affects the outcome. Can't do much about time zones, but hydration, avoiding prolonged immobility, minimizing/avoiding alcohol, springing for the more costly upgraded cabin, etc. definitely have positive effects.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seamus
Jeff, one man's conflation is another's aggregation, I guess. I consider jet lag as the sum total of the effect of all the potential irritants in long distance travel. Thus, altering one or more of the inputs affects the outcome. Can't do much about time zones, but hydration, avoiding prolonged immobility, minimizing/avoiding alcohol, springing for the more costly upgraded cabin, etc. definitely have positive effects.
Let’s see how it goes. A 14+ hr flight will be a test for sure. I’m hoping for a noticeable change but it remains to be seen.
Thank you.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 08:56 AM

I just flew in one but only for about 8 hrs, I had the worst jet lag of my life after that flight, so who knows. Other modern aircraft have better air filtration systems, also, this isn't unique to the 787, Airbus has a couple just as good or better, newer models (like the A350).

I really really hated the windows on the Dreamliner, I would avoid it just because of those. They have no window screens you can pull down to black out the windows, I couldn't believe it. I suppose at night time, it's dark out anyway, but during daytime, you can't block out the light. Which isn't just bad if you want to sleep, but also for viewing any video screens. You can hit this button that darkens it a little, it's sort of like sunglasses, but it doesn't darken it totally at all. I always travel with an eye mask anyway, which I had to use, but that doesn't solve the problem of unwanted light if you are watching a video or not sleeping. The fact that the windows may be slightly bigger only makes it worse. Who cares how big the window is anyway, you are looking into space, why would bigger be better when you can't make the screen dark.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
I just flew in one but only for about 8 hrs, I had the worst jet lag of my life after that flight, so who knows. Other modern aircraft have better air filtration systems, also, this isn't unique to the 787, Airbus has a couple just as good or better, newer models (like the A350).

I really really hated the windows on the Dreamliner, I would avoid it just because of those. They have no window screens you can pull down to black out the windows, I couldn't believe it. I suppose at night time, it's dark out anyway, but during daytime, you can't block out the light. Which isn't just bad if you want to sleep, but also for viewing any video screens. You can hit this button that darkens it a little, it's sort of like sunglasses, but it doesn't darken it totally at all. I always travel with an eye mask anyway, which I had to use, but that doesn't solve the problem of unwanted light if you are watching a video or not sleeping. The fact that the windows may be slightly bigger only makes it worse. Who cares how big the window is anyway, you are looking into space, why would bigger be better when you can't make the screen dark.
Thank you for the reply. From what I have read here and on flyertalk worse jet lag is certainly atypical as the designs feature help to one degree or another. Sorry to hear your experience was so bad.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 12:32 AM

IME, the only thing that really helps against jetlag is trying to adjust gradually to the time at your destination 2-3 days before departure.
If you went to bed later than usual, and eventually stayed up that last night it would push your internal clock into the right direction.
I assume that with a 6am departure from Delhi you need to leave the hotel at such an early hour that you won't get a full night's sleep anyway.
By the time your plane has taken off, you'll probably be so tired that you must sleep..
So you'd be asleep by 7am Delhi time, 6.30pm Vancouver time.
It won't erase the effect of jetlag completely, but it can reduce it.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cowboy1968
IME, the only thing that really helps against jetlag is trying to adjust gradually to the time at your destination 2-3 days before departure.
If you went to bed later than usual, and eventually stayed up that last night it would push your internal clock into the right direction.
I assume that with a 6am departure from Delhi you need to leave the hotel at such an early hour that you won't get a full night's sleep anyway.
By the time your plane has taken off, you'll probably be so tired that you must sleep..
So you'd be asleep by 7am Delhi time, 6.30pm Vancouver time.
It won't erase the effect of jetlag completely, but it can reduce it.
Yes it’s up early for us that day though we plan to stay at an airport hotel the day before but that will help just a little. I think we will be asleep soon after breakfast is served. Then we will wing it. No pun intended.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 03:23 AM

Leaving JFK at 11pm and flying to TLV Israel and arriving at their 5pm proved perfect. Get to the hotel. Yes, we're tired beause of lack of sleep or very little sleep on the plane, have a light dinner and collapse a few hours later to wake up the next morning ready to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -