Utah National Parks in 10 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to travel mid-May for about 10 days and I like to fit-in as much as possible. I plan to fly in to Las Vegas and rent a car and drive to Zion. What are advantages to staying in the park or in Springdale? I'd like to keep lodging costs down but I don't want to spend too much time getting to the parks from various hotels. 2 nights in Zion and off to Bryce maybe staying at Ruby's Best Western near the park. Head out next day on Hwy 12 and stop at Capitol Reef National Park. Drive to Moab for 2 nights. Any suggestions on where to stay? (Red Cliff lodge?) Next day to Canyonlands National Park and maybe a raft trip and the following morning spend at Arches. Leave Arches and drive to Needles District & Monticello to Natural Bridges and stay in Bluff. Lots of driving. Where to stay? Day 7 drive to Monument Valley and end up in Page (Lake Powell) Where to stay? Day 8 spend morning at Lake Powell and drive to St. George (Grand Canyon north rim) and stay either in park at Grand Canyon lodge or Best Western . Day 9 morning at Grand Canyon and head to Lake Mead and maybe Valley of the Fire on the way back to Las Vegas. Stay at the Flamingo one or two nights. I haven't priced anything yet or checked availability. I wanted to get general itinerary down first. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:43 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US board
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 02:16 PM

Bryce to Moab via Hwy 12 with a stop at Capitol Reef will be a long day. We stayed at the Hyatt Place at the north end of Moab fairly close to the Arches entrance. Which Best Western are you referring to? St George isn't near the north rim.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 05:27 PM

There is lodging in Springdale, UT that folks here often stay in, I've only stayed in the park lodging, but if you want more amenities then the Springdale places will be fine.

In Moab we stayed at a B&B called Cali Cochita a few years ago. We were happy with it and the location.

We did the North Rim of GC from Kanab,UT. it is a bit of a drive, but there was no availability in the park at the time. Usually we have looped down through Monument Valley and over to the South Rim and stayed in the park or at Cameron Trading Post at the junction of 89 and 64. Then looped back to Vegas.

Try to get an early flight into Vegas and a late one out.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 02:52 AM
J62

Personally I prefer staying in Springdale over in-park at Zion. My go-to place is Cable Mtn Lodge which is immediately outside the pedestrian entrance to the park - that's where you pick up the in-park valley shuttles.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 03:52 AM

We stayed at Red Cliffs in Moab and loved it! Stay at The View in Monument Valley. It is well worth it to stay overnight to get the sunset and sunrise.

Seems like you are doing so much driving! Have you thought of cutting somethings out (I would leave off Natural Bridges and the Needle District. Natural Bridges is beautiful but nothing compared to everything else you see. The Needles is great if you are going to hike but if you are only doing a drive by it is not worth the extra time).

If you can stay in Zion stay in the park if you can get in. That goes the same for Bryce. With your limited time it will give you more options and the feel of staying in the park is awesome!!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 08:02 AM

I agree that sunrise/sunset are the best times at Monument Valley. You could skip Page and drive directly to the north rim the following day. What were you planning to do at Lake Powell? Try to stay at the lodge on the north rim if you can. Keep checking for cancellations. Unlike Zion or Bryce, it's a long drive to the north rim from any other accommodations.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 09:24 AM

I wouldn't totally skip Page, I wouldn't miss Antelope Canyon and a Horseshoe. Maybe just skip staying over night there.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas! I originally looked at a tour and was following the route. I think I'll skip Needles District and Natural Bridges but it looks like I still need to go through Monticello and Bluff to get to Monument Valley. How long should I spend in Arches National Park and how long in Canyonlands National Park? I'm also thinking if the distance from Page is about the same that maybe I'd go to the south rim of the Grand Canyon instead of the north rim. It also looks like the same distance to get back to Las Vegas. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 07:13 AM

Grand Canyon North Rim’s season is relatively short. It is only open from mid-May through mid-October due to heavy snowfall during the winter months.

The main visitation area of Grand Canyon North Rim is much smaller than that of the South Rim. While the South Rim has close to two dozen major viewpoints, the North Rim has only three. The views themselves are also much different than what one sees from the other side – while the views from Grand Canyon South Rim tend to reveal the depth of the Grand Canyon, the views from the North Rim are more about the width.

https://grandcanyon.com/planning/whi...anyon-is-best/
It may be too soon to visit North Rim in May. Mainly all depends on your time allowance and if you're set on where to go and what to see. For example, in Canyonlands National Park, If all you want to do is drive thru all the viewpoints along Grand View Point Road and take a short hike to the Mesa Arch, it'll take less then a full day if you depart from Moab. Maybe you could stop at the Death Horse Point on the way back. Arches are doable in one day to see all the highlights and take a Hike to the Delicate Arch in the morning or evening for the Sunset. Driving on Hwy12 Between Bryce and Capitol Reef, there are many great stops,viewpoints on the way, Don't let the gas tank fall below half full, not many gas stations on the way there. I definitely wouldn't miss the Horseshoe and Antelope Canyon, Lower Antelope Canyon is easier to get to, you must book a tour, make reservations ahead of time.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 07:41 AM

If you skip the Needles section, try to add a night between Bryce and Moab. As mentioned there are many interesting sights along Hwy 12 and right now it's the longest drive on your itinerary (5+ hours) without stops. I posted some photos in this thread las vegas to capitol reef NP - where to stay along the way

Your schedule is fast paced so you'll just be getting a taste of each park which is fine if that's what you're after. The south rim has more expansive views but is more crowded. Page is a 1+ hour detour if you plan to go from Monument Valley to the south rim. It's on the way if you choose the north rim.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Also, I'd try to stop at the Valley of the Fire on your way to Zion N.P. But, it depends what time you'll land in Vegas, are you staying there the first nigh or you'll rent the car and drive ti Zion right away.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 05:07 AM

I prefer the views of GC from the south rim, and would suggest you get your lodging there as soon as possible if you want to stay in the park. That does avoid driving in/out when it is dark and animals like elk and mule deer are about if you want to see sunset or sunrise.

On the way back to Vegas from the south rim you can visit Hoover dam and/or loop from Hoover dam through Valley of Fire.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 02:06 PM

Just 3 miles or so off US-163 and near Mexican Hat, you can very easily visit Gooseneck State Park:
https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goosenecks/
There is just one road, one parking lot, one viewpoint.
But pretty spectacular views.
Unless you already stopped at Dead Horse when visiting Canyonlands.
Or do both.

re: Canyonlands: If it's not already too late once you're done with exploring Canyonlands, there is Shafer Canyon Road that can take you back to Moab on a slightly different route. It's one of the most remarkable drives in the world - though you must inquire locally (at the Canyonlands visitor center) if the road is safe. And you must have a high clearance vehicle. 4WD is not really necessary when the road is dry. And you must only drive the road when it's dry. There is no reason to do that drive if there is or had been rain (or snow) and especially not when it's getting dark - unless you want to do the Thelma and Louise thing at the proper location. If you're not comfortable with heights, or with gravel mountain roads with no railing.. then don't drive this road. Otherwise it's probably easily among the top 10 drives you can have in your life.
Just check out some videos on YouTube on Shafer Canyon Road and you get an idea...
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 02:04 AM

that is an enormous amount of driving.

With your schedule have you considered renting a car camper?
Specifically JUCY - they are excellent Their Internet has several options
YouTube Jucy rental
Their site has free camping advice.
There is free camping at east Zion/BLM, Bryce (Forest), Moab/BLM (almost free),Bluff (BLM) etc.

Bluff - the traditional place to stay is Recapture Lodge - very traditional as the place for hikers and outdoor people.
For more elegance: Deseret Rose and Inn

Vaga