7 Nights in Ireland - Tips and suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2019, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is first cut Ireland itinerary for 7 nights with September 9th (AM) arrival in Dublin from US / September 16th departure (afternoon) from Dublin - my wife and I enjoy staying in smaller villages/towns as bases to explore surrounding areas/sights
We want to see, as this is our first trip to ireland, certain sights/areas * We are struggling with getting back to Dublin for flight home - not sure where we should shorten our stay to accomplish and maybe way too much on our plate given our timeline & likes - all suggestions/assistance are welcomed
​​​​​​DAY 1 - Arrive in Dublin from US - Drive to KILKENNY via Powerscourt Gardens / Glendalough en route - spend night KILKENNY
DAY 2 - Explore KILKENNY(AM) Drive to KINSALE - Rock of Cashel en route -spend night in KINSALE
DAY 3 - KINSALE - Explore KINSALE - Day trip to COBH - Midleton distillery other destinations within in day trip - spend night KINSALE
DAY 4 - To KENMARE - via eastern edge of Ring of Kerry - Muckross house - Kissane Sheep farm - Passing thru Killarney national park - spend night KENMARE
DAY 5 - KENMARE - *Ring of Kerry - spend night KENMARE

ok, assuming above is close to reality we have one day/night to plan as I would want to be in Dublin on night 7 for next day flight
With DAY 6 - do we visit DINGLE & taken in *Dingle Peninsula and spend night on peninsula or head to DOOLIN - *Cliffs of Moher en route to spend night in GALWAY

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Ireland tips - 7 nights in September 2019

Below is first cut Ireland itinerary for 7 nights with September 9th (AM) arrival in Dublin from US / September 16th departure (afternoon) from Dublin - my wife and I enjoy staying in smaller villages/towns as bases to explore surrounding areas/sights
We want to see, as this is our first trip to ireland, certain sights/areas * We are struggling with getting back to Dublin for flight home - not sure where we should shorten our stay to accomplish and maybe way too much on our plate given our timeline & likes - all suggestions/assistance are welcomed
​​​​​​DAY 1 - Arrive in Dublin from US - Drive to KILKENNY via Powerscourt Gardens / Glendalough en route - spend night KILKENNY
DAY 2 - Explore KILKENNY(AM) Drive to KINSALE - Rock of Cashel en route -spend night in KINSALE
DAY 3 - KINSALE - Explore KINSALE - Day trip to COBH - Midleton distillery other destinations within in day trip - spend night KINSALE
DAY 4 - To KENMARE - via eastern edge of Ring of Kerry - Muckross house - Kissane Sheep farm - Passing thru Killarney national park - spend night KENMARE

ok, assuming above is close to reality we have one day/night to plan as I would want to be in Dublin on night 7 for next day flight
With DAY 6 - do we visit DINGLE & taken in *Dingle Peninsula and spend night on peninsula or head to DOOLIN - *Cliffs of Moher en route to spend night in GALWAY

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 05:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a quick note. I really don't think your plan for Day 1 is reasonable.

You have a 3+ hour drive plus at least 2 hours at Powerscourt and an hour at Glendalough . . . all after an overnight flight. (I personally wouldn't drive at all that day but definitely not a 6 hour trip)
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 05:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why a duplicate thread?
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Forum Moderator

Your three threads have been merged in to one.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 01:02 AM

Moderator1, all 3 threads look the same. Could you not delete two of them?
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 05:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Head to Galway so you are closer to Dublin. Three hours needed for check in at Dublin airport.

Avoca Mount Usher Gardens is beautiful and close by Glendalough. Cobh, Midleton and Ballymaloe cookery school are not to be missed. Drive to Ballycotton, I would recommend it over Kinsale for a stay. It is magical. The lighthouse tour, the cliff walk, the bars and restaurants are great there. Do see Galway, COM and some of the Burren.

Old Jul 21st, 2019, 06:43 AM
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by cathies
Moderator1, all 3 threads look the same. Could you not delete two of them?
Good idea. There were responses on two of the threads, so they were merged. But the OP's seem to be identical so we will delete two of them.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, looked at your suggestions and we are adjusting - Grazie
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you appreciate advice
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 04:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The Jameson tour in Midleton was great, we really enjoyed it. So many people don't explore the coast from there but a hidden treasure. There is a tribute in town to the Choctaw Indians from the people of Ireland. Silver feathers in a monument for the money they sent the people of Ireland during the famine. Galway is a great place for night time dining and entertainment. Doolin is not bad since you enjoy smaller places though, Several nice pubs and trad music. You would enjoy a trip to the Aran islands if time and weather permitted. I hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Awesome suggestions and tips - thank you
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mdciti

Thank you in advance
Since you chose the Ring of Kerry on Day 5, I would skip the Dingle peninsula. Then Day 6- Spend the night in Galway visiting the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren en route.