Australia again?

Old Jul 13th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia again?

There are some hard to find frequent flyer tickets to Australia, mostly to SYD but some dates to MEL as well. This would be in mid November to early December or early to mid January, about 2 weeks.

I've been to Sydney 3-4 times, Melbourne 2-3 times.

Went to Sydney for 3-4 nights in January 2018 and then to Melbourne where I drove the GOR in February.

Also went to NZ earlier this year, so this would be the third consecutive year of going to Oceania if I booked it.

But that's why I'm not sure whether to go. Normally I'd jump on it, because again, these tickets are hard to get for business class at the lowest level.

I suppose I could just fly into SYD and buy another ticket to Brisbane or Adelaide. Or maybe try to go see Uluru or go more to Western Australia?

Not sure what the weather is like in these places in late November or early January, especially further north or west.

Already have plans to go to Hong Kong and Thailand in mid February so maybe better to skip Australia this time around.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I’d choose mid November to early December. Late Spring to early Summer. Long school holidays start mid-late December to early February (varying dates for various States) - plus, of course, it’s hotter. And in the far north, the wet season.

If you haven’t been to Western Australia - I’d think that would be an ideal place for November-December. So would Tasmania. If you flew into Melbourne, you could either transfer directly to a flight to Hobart - or spend 2-3 days in & around Melbourne first.

It’s hard to go wrong anywhere in that mid-November to early December time slot!

Australia's official weather forecasts & weather radar - Bureau of Meteorology for weather predictions & patterns.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 05:00 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I found Nov and Dec in WA entirely too hot for my tastes - especially December, which could be horribly hot (I lived there for seven years), but I'm the first to admit that I dislike hot weather immensely. Your tastes may vary.

The same applies for SA - for me anyway.

It also depends on where in WA you plan to go - it's a huge state.

IME November in the SW of the state can be quite pleasant, although the flies...well.

I'd personally avoid anywhere in Australia in January unless you really, really, really like the heat.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 13th, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

I don't mind the heat if it means getting sun.

When I went in late January 2018, there was always a cloud cover in Sydney, though muggy. One day I went out to Watson's Bay and Gap Bluff and got sunburned on my shoulders even though there were a lot of clouds.

Then went to Melbourne for a couple of days, again pretty cloudy, not too much clear blue skies.

Still, went on GOR and a couple of nights in Halls Gap and found enough sun here and there to get some nice photos.

On a previous visit, I got some very clear shots of Bondi and then walked south to Coogee, on a spectacular day.
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 03:48 AM

I’m a great fan of WA, having been there 10+ times to visit family. In late November, early December it can actually be quite cool south of Perth in Margaret River and environs. Normally we don’t get really hot days until after Christmas, and then not too many. Lots of forested areas, lots of beaches.

Lucky you being able to get a flight on points. Which airline ?
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

United. But on partner airlines.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 02:01 AM

I certainly wouldn't visit the top of Western Australia eg the Kimberley or Uluru from November to February -it's the wet season and the humidity is appalling .
agree with going south of Perth at this time .
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you feel comfortable driving, you could fly into Sydney and drive up the coast. Lots of lovely small places to stop along the way. I'd definitely choose the November dates as late December and January are the main school holiday period and everything will be booked up, crowded and expensive. Weather should be great in November but no guarantees.

Or how about flying from Sydney up to the Sunshine Coast and having a break there? Loads of places to stay and eat and gorgeous scenery. I think you'd want a hire car on the Sunshine Coast to get around though there are airport shuttles and taxis if you want to stay mainly in one area.

Kay