Dublin vs. Germany in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I are traveling to Europe at the end of November this year. We already have plans to visit London and Amsterdam but would like to add one more destination. Some possibilities are Dublin and Germany (Berlin or Munich?). I know that most of Europe of cold and wet during November (and that weather is obviously very unpredictable) but would this time of year be an okay time to visit either of these places? Would you recommend one over the other? Anyone who has been around that time, did you find it to be less lively (places closed due to off season) or would you recommend to visit then? A little insight to what we are looking for: we love sight seeing but also just love walking the cities and trying to get the most authentic and local feel as possible. We enjoy nightlife and finding unique restaurants and bars. We both enjoy shopping and finding unique pieces. Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give!
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 01:01 AM

You're less likely to freeze your buns in Dublin, and it's easy to get to from London.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 01:31 AM

I live in Berlin, and I have lived in Munich for several years.
Neither city has many places that close for the off-season, aside from typical outdoor venues like beer gardens (beer halls etc. stay open all year, obviously) and some other minor sights, e.g. the tiny palaces in Nymphenburg park.
Nevertheless, Dublin would be my first choice. You have only a small chance for really cold weather, and at least a fair chance to have much milder temperatures than Berlin or Munich.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 02:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a great choice either way. Dublin is more likely to warmer but probably wetter. The expression "a lazy wind" is Irish though.

Why not look at Lisbon/Seville/Barcelona/Grenada etc, just nicer at that time of year. Or go where Europeans go. The Canary Isles
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 02:53 AM

The canaries are not great in November either. They can be very windy and wet and cool. A bit out of the way for (presumably) only a few days as well.
Which order are you visiting London and Amsterdam? Where are you flying in and out of if you already have flights booked? How many days are we tallking about for the extra stop, and for the total trip?
November is rarely really cold, but it can be windy and wet or just plain dreich (grey and drizzly/dreary) in which case it doesn't matter much which city you choose.
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 03:00 AM

Berlin!

I suggest to pay attention to Berlin!
I like it more than Munich)
But it’s only my personal impression)
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 03:47 AM

I think Berlin is definitely worth visiting and maybe there would be better weather.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 10:13 AM

Berlin is my favorite German town along with Potsdam and Sans Soucci Palace. I'd take trains at that time of year and if going to cities especially - for los of info on trains check www.bahn.de/en; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com - lots more to see and do in Berlin - Munich however offers some easy wonderful day trips.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 11:27 AM
mjs

Paris would seem to be a better fit than either. You might like the Christmas markets in Berlin if your dates
work
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We have been to Germany end of November and Munich had the start of the Christmas markets. I don't think it is that bad. I live in Fl but wore a knee length goose down, boots and layers. I was toasty. Everything was open in Munich. I know Dublin and Galway will have regular hours on attractions along with Belfast.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 04:42 AM

I've been to Berlin in the first week of December, it was cold and wet with a bit of snow. It's a capital city so nothing really closes down. It's more interesting than Munich and Munich is better in the summer with the beer gardens and nearby lakes.

Dublin will likely be wet. It's not my choice of city, I didn't enjoy it there but each to their own.

I'm often in Mallorca or Estepona in late October or over Christmas and that is a pleasant time with lots of sun and nice temperatures however those places are much more seasonal although larger cities such as Palma and Malaga are always busy.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Much of Ireland is so dreary in winter, but Dublin is nice for walking and you could enjoy pubs and music, and there are a number of interesting places to visit. If you are into art, the art museum is really wonderful. There is the Conservatory and the photography gallery and Trinity Library. Food is good.

Someone suggested Barcelona. I would strongly consider that.