Oaxaca or Mexico City for Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Mexico over Christmas and New Years and are trying to decide which would be a better option. Oaxaca or Mexico City. I'm sure they would both be different experiences but we are looking for something more traditional. I know they are both big cities but was wondering what the Forum thinks! Has anyone been there? We are not looking for All Inclusive or a beach experience.
Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 02:29 AM

We debated long and hard as where was best to spend Christmas. We ended up in spending cHristmas in Guadalajara and a couple of days in Mexico City afterwards. We didn’t really take to Guadalajara but perhaps that was because it was virtually closed ofver the holiday period. In hindsight we wish we had spent it either in Oaxaca, which was amazing or Morelia which was a close second. Both were buzzing in the run up to Christmas. If going again, which I am sure we will, we would almost certainly stay in Oaxaca.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 06:44 AM

We spent last Christmas in Oaxaca and loved it. The central square was the place to be in the evenings. They have a radish festival https://www.atlasobscura.com/videos/...pting-festival . If you go to the festival go early as the lines were crazy long in the evening. We also got to see a parade in the main square in the evening. All of the other area chirches have a float with nativity scenes, fireworks and music. Loads of fun. I would recommend getting a balcony and have dinner overlooking the square. We had a great brunch Christmas morning at https://www.historichotelsworldwide....a-real-oaxaca/ .
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for both replies! Just today we were talking about Morelia. It’s more of a routing question as to which way we go. We are flying into MC from San Jose Costa Rica on the 16th or 17th and thinking about staying about 4 days in MC, bus to Morelia for four days, back to Mexico City, maybe one night and fly to Oaxaca for New Years, stay about 9 days and then back to Mexico City for one week. It’s a little moving around, but Christmas and New Years fall right in the middle of the block of time we have. Approximately, 3 weeks. I’m reading Trip Reports but would love comments.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 07:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Another option besides busing from Morelia to CDMX and then flying to Oaxaca might be to take an Estrella Blanca bus from Morelia to Puebla. Then a night or 2 in Puebla. Then bus to Oaxaca. Just an option that might give you another city on your itinerary.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Hey Baldone,
A bus is 4 hrs. to Morelia, I believe, so 6 hrs to Puebla from Morelia. How long to Oaxaca from Puebla?
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 04:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
About 5 hours. ADO is the line, from the CAPU central. It's quite a scenic route too.