Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with 10 night itinerary for Switzerland.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Dnf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites!
I am planning a trip to Switzerland for June. I am trying to see as much of the country as possible and I have looked at guide books, maps, and train times. I am hoping you can help me with the practical parts of the itin. Can you let me know if you would change any part of it? My hubby and I are mid-40s and we will be traveling with my parents- early 70s and very active. We plan to fly in and out of Zurich from the US.

1. Fly into Zurich. Train to Lucerne.
2. Lucerne x 2 nights. 1 day Lucerne. 1 day Bern
3. Train from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen.
4. Lauterbrunnen x 3 nights. Lauterbrunnen first day. 1 day Brienz. 1 day Jungfrau.
5. Train from Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt.
6. Zermatt x 1 night.
7. Train from Zermatt to Lausanne.
8. Lausanne x 2 nights. Lausanne first day. 1 day Montreux- Chateau de Chillon.
9. Train from Lausanne to Zurich.
10. Zurich x 2 nights. 1 day Zurich. 1 day Stein-am-Rhein by train and then train from S-a-R to Basel. Basel back to Zurich by train.
11. Depart Zurich.

What do you think? Too ambitious? Need to add a night? Should I lose something? I didn't particularly want to spend three nights in Lauterbrunnen but I don't see how we can see lake Brienz and Jungfrau plus walk the valley in less time.
Thank you so much for any help you can give me!
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 05:15 PM

Last fall, we spent a few nights in Switzerland as part of a quick but enjoyable tour of three countries. Here is the trip report: 3 Countries, 8 Places, 8 Nights, Awesome!

We were not fond of Zurich and thought one night was enough for us.

We based in Wengen which provided a very special Alpine experience, much more so than Lauterbrunnen, yet still convenient to it. If you want an even better Alpine experience, but more remote, we also loved Murren.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 05:34 PM
kja

IMO, that's an ambitious itinerary, but not necessarily one you can manage. I wanted more time in each of the places you are planning to visit, but it depends on your interests and preferred pace of travel.

Note that 1 night in Zermatt gives you no back-up if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I'm not sure why you are reluctant to stay in Lauterbrunnen for 3 nights -- it is, IMO, a perfectly delightful place. If you want to stay elsewhere for your time in the Bernese Oberland, I agree that Wengen offers spectacular views. Unlike many Fodorites, I did not like Mürren nearly as well as Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. It is definitely more remote.

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some helpful information in my trip report:
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...thanks-983126/

Switzerland is glorious -- enjoy!
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 02:52 AM

It's ambitious but doable if that's your style of travel.

A couple of thoughts:
You have a lot of 2+hour train rides with changes in your plan -- I hope you are not dragging heavy suitcases!
on your day trip to Bern from Lucerne, consider taking the train that goes past Entlebuch and Langnau at least one way. It takes longer (90 mins versus 60), but it's a pretty ride.
I don't understand why you are going all the way from SaR to Basel, then heading to Zurich the same day. IMO, you should consider overnighting in Basel (I admit to being biased -- we live there) and then catching an early train to Zurich if you have to be at the airport in the morning. Since you'll probably be coming into the Basel Bad station, you could hop the number 6 tram to Riehen and stay in the Landgasthof there right by the Riehen Dorf tram stop if you want a village-y feel (albeit an upscale village) or head into the city itself. Several good hotel choices, from Motel One for the budget conscious up to the luxurious Three Kings (Les Trois Rois) right on the Rhine.
I agree with kja about Murren. Also not big fans.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 05:27 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, if seeing as much of the country as possible is your goal - you'll do that. But you'll be seeing it from a train. You've left very little time to actually explore the places you're training to.

Note that two nights in a place only gives you one full day. I think you've underestimated the time needed to get from place to place, get your bearings, check into and out of accommodation, etc.

I didn't particularly want to spend three nights in Lauterbrunnen

That's the only part of your itinerary that makes sense to me.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 08:00 AM

A Swiss Travel Pass is a good deal for your wide-ranging trips with many trains and maybe boats - www.sbb.ch but check prices for same pass in U.S. and prices here have been at times in past been cheaper for exact same pass - and at times cheaper in Switzerland. For lots about Swiss trains and passes check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 09:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there something special you want to see or do in Lausanne that you are giving it an entire day? I think it's a lot more interesting out in Vevey and Montreux.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 01:20 PM

Lausanne has plenty to see and do. I liked the old town around Place du Marche very much, enjoyed climbing up the covered stairs to the stunning cathedral (great views, too). The museums are worth checking out as well and so is the area along the lake - long/large promenades/parks in Ouchy, Vidy ... Totally understandable that the OP wants to spend a day in Lausanne.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 01:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's true, I enjoyed Ouchy. I just found because of its (Lausanne) much larger size and scale I didn't get the feel for it in a short time like I was able to do in both Montreux or Vevey.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 01:35 PM

Lausanne is also the head of the corrupt IOC or International Olympic Committee which has a museum to visit.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 02:26 PM

Without giving you my rational I would do the following. (I should have eliminated Zermatt, but I figured that the Matterhorn may be one of your must sees). So I increased Zermatt to 2 nights. 1. Arrive from USA. Destination Montreux (Train Zurich airport to Montreux-3 hrs) Explore Montreux. If not too tired, one of tomorrows activities.2. Montreux -Chateau de Chillon, Rochers-de-Naye, Glion3. Zermatt- (Train Montreux to Zermatt- 2-1/2 hrs) Explore Zermatt4. Zermatt- excursion for viewing Matterhorn 5. Wengen- (Train Zermatt to Wengen- 3 hrs) PM- Explore Lauterbrunnen-Trümmelbach Falls?6. Wengen- Jungfraunoch, Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg Walk7. Wengen- Lake Thun or Lake Brienz or Mürren / Schilthorn 8. Lucerne – (Train Wengen to Lucerne- 3hrs) 9. Lucerne -, mountain excursion ?10. Lucerne- guided tour old town, travel museum
(note: if your flight departs in the AM, leave Lucerne in the afternoon. Stay the night in Zurich near the train station on night 10) 11. Fly to USA (Train Lucerne to Zurich Airport- 1 hr)
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Dnf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Is there something special you want to see or do in Lausanne that you are giving it an entire day? I think it's a lot more interesting out in Vevey and Montreux.
I have definitely heard this before re Montreux. Sadly, I just picked Lausanne, like I did with Stein am Rhein, because I like the google images of the place. I am beginning to get the impression that Lausanne is a bit difficult to enjoy because of where the city center versus the lake etc are located.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Dnf
Original Poster

Dugi_otok: Thank you so much for taking the time to give me an alternative itin! I will definitely look into it

Last edited by Dnf; Mar 27th, 2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Dnf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8

I didn't particularly want to spend three nights in Lauterbrunnen

That's the only part of your itinerary that makes sense to me.
Thanks for your participation.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Dnf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ
A Swiss Travel Pass is a good deal for your wide-ranging trips with many trains and maybe boats - www.sbb.ch but check prices for same pass in U.S. and prices here have been at times in past been cheaper for exact same pass - and at times cheaper in Switzerland. For lots about Swiss trains and passes check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.
Thanks so much for giving me these resources!!
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Dnf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WeisserTee
It's ambitious but doable if that's your style of travel.

A couple of thoughts:
You have a lot of 2+hour train rides with changes in your plan -- I hope you are not dragging heavy suitcases!
on your day trip to Bern from Lucerne, consider taking the train that goes past Entlebuch and Langnau at least one way. It takes longer (90 mins versus 60), but it's a pretty ride.
I don't understand why you are going all the way from SaR to Basel, then heading to Zurich the same day. IMO, you should consider overnighting in Basel (I admit to being biased -- we live there) and then catching an early train to Zurich if you have to be at the airport in the morning. Since you'll probably be coming into the Basel Bad station, you could hop the number 6 tram to Riehen and stay in the Landgasthof there right by the Riehen Dorf tram stop if you want a village-y feel (albeit an upscale village) or head into the city itself. Several good hotel choices, from Motel One for the budget conscious up to the luxurious Three Kings (Les Trois Rois) right on the Rhine.
I agree with kja about Murren. Also not big fans.
I appreciate all your tips and will definitely look at Basel in detail.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 06:14 PM
Dnf
Original Poster

Whitehall, I too think Zurich might not be worth much time but I feel like I will regret not taking a moment to see it while there. I am looking forward to reading your trip report!

Kja someone on another travel site advised the same about adding more time to Zermatt.

Ingo the long lakefront promenades of Lausanne did entice me
And yes, my whole reason for going to Zermatt is to see and visit the Matterhorn if possible.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 06:19 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Dnf
Kja someone on another travel site advised the same about adding more time to Zermatt. ... And yes, my whole reason for going to Zermatt is to see and visit the Matterhorn if possible.
I'm not necessarily saying you should add time to Zermatt. I think you have 3 options:
  • add time,
  • skip Zermatt (giving you more time for the many places you are skimming with your plan), or
  • go to Zermatt, but with the knowledge that you might not see the Matterhorn.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Dnf
Original Poster

How long does it take to get up to the Matterhorn from Zermatt? What type of train is used? I don't think I want to run the risk of missing the Matterhorn...
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 08:33 PM

Revision 1- Itinerary

I would do the following.
Increased Zermatt to 2 nights at the expense of losing a night in Zurich.
Replace Lausanne with Montreux-more tourist oriented.
Replace Lauterbrunnen with Wengen, a carless mountain village.
Reverse the itinerary. It flows better. And you regain some time in Lucerne/ Zurich.

1. Arrive from USA. Destination Montreux (Train Zurich airport to Montreux-3 hrs) Explore Montreux. If not too tired, one of tomorrows activities.
2. Montreux -Chateau de Chillon, Rochers-de-Naye, Glion
3. Zermatt- (Train Montreux to Zermatt- 2-1/2 hrs) Explore Zermatt
4. Zermatt- excursion for viewing Matterhorn. There are 3 excursions, if I am remembering correctly, to choose from.
5. Wengen- (Train Zermatt to Wengen- 3 hrs) PM- Explore Wengen and/or Lauterbrunnen-Trümmelbach Falls?
6. Wengen- Jungfraunoch, Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg Walk

7. Wengen- Lake Thun or Lake Brienz or Mürren / Schilthorn

8. Lucerne – (Train Wengen to Lucerne- 3hrs)

9. Lucerne -, mountain excursion or Lake cruise or combo.

10. Zurich-
AM guided tour old town Lucerne (book at TI on day 9 arrival).
PM Train to Zurich(1 hr).
Hotel in area of the main train station.
Afternoon walk the Bahnhofstrasse (one of the most famous streets in Europe)., River, old town.
Great walking city- no subways, they have street cars.
Have a Swiss meal at https://www.zeughauskeller.ch/en/home

11. Fly to USA (Train Zurich HB to Zurich Airport- 15 min)
https://www.sbb.ch/de/bahnhof-servic...ptbahnhof.html

Do you have your Airline tickets? If not, can you add a day? If yes. What time are you arriving ZRH? What time are you Leaving ZRH?

Last edited by dugi_otok; Mar 27th, 2019 at 08:46 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -