Tips - RV trip with dogs around california

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm a new member, Neither one of us has ever been on a RV trip before. We love traveling with dogs and we love to move some pets entertainment places. Suggest me some RV parks and dogs park in California and about the features. For an emergency, where can I find a veterinary or Is there any app available to find such places and I don't want to make my dog feel inconvenient? Suggest any Interior Cellular Temperature Monitors For Pets.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 05:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to Fodors! My question is how you are arriving in California with dogs? It is not very easy by train, plane or bus.
Check with KOA Campgrounds on their dog policy. There are quite a few US Forest Service campgrounds that allow dogs (some require on leash). In general, dogs are not allowed out of the vehicle more than a few feet to take care of pooping. You should plan on carrying small bags to take care of dog waste anywhere you go.
Which area(s) of California do you want to visit?
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Assuming this is a legit question and not preliminary to advertising a 'Interior Cellular Temperature Monitors For Pets' . . . If you have never driven a motor home before, a road trip around California is not the best way to learn.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 08:44 AM

For easy vet services, Petco (pet supply store chain) stores now often have vet services. Just look at their website and find the closest vet in store. There are a lot.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...inary-services
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
PetSmart also has vet services in some stores.

Veterinary Centers of America (VCA) has well over 100 locations throughout the state.

https://vcahospitals.com/find-a-hosp...tion-directory

FYI, it is illegal to leave an animal unattended in a vehicle in California.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomfuller
Welcome to Fodors! My question is how you are arriving in California with dogs? It is not very easy by train, plane or bus.
Check with KOA Campgrounds on their dog policy. There are quite a few US Forest Service campgrounds that allow dogs (some require on leash). In general, dogs are not allowed out of the vehicle more than a few feet to take care of pooping. You should plan on carrying small bags to take care of dog waste anywhere you go.
We've planned the way oakhurst, fish camp, yosemite valey, yosemite national park, Mono city, bridge port, topaz lake, carson city and finally end on reno. This is what we planned.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

We've planned the way oakhurst, fish camp, yosemite valey, yosemite national park, Mono city, bridge port, topaz lake, carson city and reno this is what we planned to go.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 06:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Yosemite is one of 6 National Parks in the US that allow leashed dogs on paved trails and in parking lots. It is the only one in California to allow dogs. Check the website for all the rules.
How do you get to Oakhurst? Do you rent an RV in Oakhurst and return it to Reno? How do you get home from Reno?
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 08:27 AM

>>We've planned the way oakhurst, fish camp, yosemite valey, yosemite national park, Mono city, bridge port, topaz lake, carson city and finally end on reno. This is what we planned.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=janisj;16887595]>>We've planned the way oakhurst, fish camp, yosemite valey, yosemite national park, Mono city, bridge port, topaz lake, carson city and finally end on reno. This is what we planned.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestion,
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Yosemite is one of 6 National Parks in the US that allow leashed dogs on paved trails and in parking lots. It is the only one in California to allow dogs. Check the website for all the rules.
How do you get to Oakhurst? Do you rent an RV in Oakhurst and return it to Reno? How do you get home from Reno?
Through Flight from newyork JFK to LAIA, and from LAIA have to arrange Rental RV then we keep on moving to the planned locations, and from Reno we return through flight.

Last edited by seon05; Mar 19th, 2019 at 03:02 AM.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 09:16 AM

PLEASE reconsider this! Flying with the dogs (they will be happier and safer boarded at home) renting a motor home (which you've never driven before) and visiting national parks with pets (which would severely limit what you can see and do). Plus . . . have you booked your Yosemite camp site yet? What is LAIA? Do you have connecting flights? If so, most airlines will not allow animals in the cargo hold when there are transfers during summer months. Too much liability and danger for the animals on the tarmac.

Just bad planning all around.

But it doesn't seem you are willing to reconsider this.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:30 PM

I think LAIA is Los Angeles International Airport, but having never heard that one before . . .

Have to agree the notion of flying dogs to the west coast, to drive them around in a motor home, in the summer, has some real flaws. And flying back from Reno, cannot imagine there is a non-stop to JFK. Poor dogs.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 01:05 PM

>>I think LAIA is Los Angeles International Airport
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 01:23 PM

And I'll just repeat that you can't leave a dog unattended in a vehicle in California. Any kind of vehicle for any amount of time. So, that limits your sightseeing, your dining, your shopping... your entire trip.

Besides the usual vaccinations, it's highly recommended that dogs coming to California have the leptospirosis vaccination.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
And I'll just repeat that you can't leave a dog unattended in a vehicle in California. Any kind of vehicle for any amount of time.
That's only true to the extent that it occurs "under conditions that endanger the health or well-being of an animal due to heat, cold, lack of adequate ventilation, or lack of food or water, or other circumstances that could reasonably be expected to cause suffering, disability, or death to the animal."

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/c...violations-and
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 02:27 PM

Brian in Charlotte: >>That's only true to the extent that it occurs "under conditions that endanger the health or well-being of an animal due to heat, cold, lack of adequate ventilation, or lack of food or water, or other circumstances that could reasonably be expected to cause suffering, disability, or death to the animal"
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 02:32 PM

Yes but temps inside a car get very hot very quickly, many degrees hotter than the outside air temps, imagine a motor home is similar. Personally if I saw a poor dog inside a car or RV in August for any period of time longer than say 10-15 minutes I would call the police.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 03:17 PM

Even when the outside temp is only 70 degrees, the interior of a car can reach 104 degrees in 30 minutes or less. If the outside temp is 80+ degrees, an animal would likely be dead or suffer serious brain/organ damage in less than 30 minutes.

In California, the first-offense fine can be as low as $100, but if the animal is injured the offense becomes a misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail plus court-determined fines.

In my beach town, even on days with mild temps, people routinely call the cops when they see an animal in a parked car. It's up to the cop to determine whether the car needs to be broken into, the animal taken into protective custody, and/or whether the driver will be cited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -