Search

Oaxaca and beaches

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2019, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca and beaches

Hola,
We're planning to stay in OAX City and are looking at also staying at one of the beach areas. Do any of you have direct experience at the beaches? We're thinking about a nice place to chill, have nearby places to walk to to eat, calm swimming water and the possibility of kayaking and bicycling.
Gracias
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The 2 most likely options for your criteria would be either Huatulco or Puerto Escondido. It's been a couple years since we've been to either. But Huatulco is considered more upscale, while PE is more of a surfer-type destination. Either is a long drive from OdJ, but an easy short flight with Aerotucan. Here's a good resource:
https://www.tomzap.com/oaxaca.html
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 10:39 PM

Loved Oaxaca but didn’t make it to the coast. Some Canadian retirees we met in Guanajuato were headed to Puerto Escondido for six weeks. They love it there and have been visiting for several,years.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 04:01 AM

I've been to those areas many times, and also Puerto Angel and the ones near there. But not in a number of years. Funny enough, I used to go to Huatulco before it became a resort, and we just rented a room in a shack on Tangolunda beach....it was magical, but never mind my memories..

Your choice will be between Huatulco, a government-planned resort with really beautiful beaches, or Pto Escondido which is, just as written above, more laid back and a little surf-centric. It's sort of like the difference used to be between Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo. Sort of. Huatulco seems to get a lot of package tourists from Canada. BUT, I like the beaches much better there and if I were to go back someday, that is where I would go, and rent a house.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Mar 6th, 2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies and the link. HUX to my knowledge is pretty built up with all inclusives. PE sounds like it has rough water and is great for the surfer crowd and those looking to save money. Each location sounds wonderful in their own right but I'm hoping to find current info on all the many beach areas in between. ie

Last edited by cybor; Mar 6th, 2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 05:24 AM

You will encounter rough water along most of that coast. Pto Angel has calm water in the bay near the town but who knows now if you can swim there..

I am not sure that there are any other options in the state of Oaxaca if you want more than a very simple hotel...take a look at Zipolite, for example. but waters there can be rough as in dangerous.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 07:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Huatulco does indeed have it's share of AI's. But we stayed a very moderately priced hotel, Misión De Los Arcos, in town, La Crucecita, which meant we needed to taxi to the various beaches from which we could take our pick each day, each one different and each quite swimmable.* But that meant we could be in town to eat (breakfast & dinner, lunch on the beach) and shop and such. One day we rented a car to drive a ways up the coast to check out San Agustinillo and Mazunte. Zipolite no nos llamó la atención.*
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Good information. A friend of a friend owns a cliff side hotel in Zipolite that looks beautiful. They say it's ok to swim so long as you avoid the riptides, lol I also have a few local friends who love the AIs in Hux. They never leave the properties. I may take a better look at Hux for a rental... or I may just do Oax and CDMX
Gracias