Greece itinerary advice

Search

Greece itinerary advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece itinerary advice

We have six nights in Greece (I wish we had longer!) We are flying into Athens and out of Mykonos. Here's what I'm thinking. Do you think the number of each days in each place sounds feasible, or should we drop something? We will be traveling at the end of July/early Aug. Any trip advice or hotel advice is welcome.

Day 1 - Arrive in Athens 9:15 am (overnight Athens)
Day 2 - Athens (overnight Athens)
Day 3 - early flight to Santorini (overnight Santorini)
Day 4 - Santorini and afternoon ferry to Naxos (overnight Naxos)
Day 5 - Naxos (overnight Naxos)
Day 6 - ferry to Mykonos (overnight Mykonos)
Day 7 - Mykonos, with 4pm flight out
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 10:06 PM
kja

IMO, your itinerary is exceedingly ambitious, perhaps overly so -- although that depends on what, exactly, you want to see and experience. For comparison, I found 4 full days barely sufficient for Athens, and 3.5 days about right for Naxos. I spent about as much time in Santorini as you are contemplating (just one night, with time before and after) -- not enough time to see my priorities, in large part because of the crowds (and I was there in May). Then again, I was ready to leave when I did, because of the crowds.

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report.
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 10:27 PM

If you’ve already booked your flights it’s difficult to advise what to drop, and you will have to work with what you have. As a many time visitor to Greece I would drop both Santoríni and Mykonos, and spend all my time on Naxos. I realise you probably consider Santorini a must, though, and I won’t argue with that. Since you are flying home from Mykonos you need to be there at least one night before the flight.

If your flights to/from Greece are not set in stone I might have some suggestions.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 11:11 PM

A suggestion from local

Of course a demanding project.
I would suggest for mykonos Agia Anna beach and Spilia restaurant
For Santorini Kamari beach and Imba restaurant or Theros beach and psaraki restaurant
In Athens watch performance of Ancient Drama (not yet in guides as it is new) and eat at Mani Mani. Visit Agia Anna for drinks or Glyfada

​​​​​​Whatever you wish ask for details. Have perfect time
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 05:42 AM

The Greek islands by their very nature are difficult to see in a short period of time. Most people see the islands via cruise ship and generally have 6-8 hours, usually clumped in large groups. Yet, I have never met anyone who didn’t enjoy their cruise of the islands. So, you are way ahead.

Yes, having more time in each place would be preferable, but I would prefer your itinerary to say spending most of your time in Athens.

We very much enjoyed time on Delos island when in Mykonos.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 07:30 AM

I don't think it's true at all that "Most people see the islands via cruise ship..."

In fact, most Greek Islands aren't even visited by cruise ships, including Naxos and other beautiful, less touristy islands. Ebecke, you are doing the right thing, and have a good first-timer's itinerary. With the flights in and out of Greece you already have, I can't think of a way to improve it.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Heimdall
I don't think it's true at all that "Most people see the islands via cruise ship..."

In fact, most Greek Islands aren't even visited by cruise ships, including Naxos and other beautiful, less touristy islands. Ebecke, you are doing the right thing, and have a good first-timer's itinerary. With the flights in and out of Greece you already have, I can't think of a way to improve it.
I stand corrected. I should have said "many" not "most". Anecdotally, it seems that most Americans I talk to, who have been to Greece, almost universally say they visited via cruise ship. Before the recent cruise ship limits to 8,000 per day on Santorini, for example, there were days when 18,000 passengers were dropped off. There are reports that Santorini gets 2 million unique visitors a year. Seems like cruise ships are still a big part of that. But, you are right there are many Greek islands not served by cruise ships.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it!

Yes, I wish we had more time. So thank you, Heimdall and Whitehall, for making me feel good about our itinerary so far.

Our flights are booked, and we are flying out of Mykonos because I could get a frequent flier ticket for 30,000 miles from Mykonos, whereas it would have been 60,000 miles from Athens, so I was proud of that find!

Should we skip Santorini entirely and spend the extra day in Naxos? Or leave as is?

Kja- thanks for your trip report!
Elpida- thanks for the local recommendations. Love them!
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 10:05 AM

It would be less stressful to skip Santorini. I would do that, but then you will have to return one day. Santorini is often very crowded, especially during the day when cruise ships are in, but it is a very special place.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 10:35 AM

You could skip Santorini, but it’s such a beautiful place it would be a shame to miss it, and you may always regret being so close and not going there. Yes, it will be crowded, and so will be Naxos to a lesser degree that time of year. That said, it was my ninth trip to the Cyclades before I finally bothered going to Santorini, but liked it enough to go back a second time. I’ve stayed in Oia on Santorini and avoided the worst of the crowds by exploring other parts of the island when cruisers are around. Early in the morning, and late evenings after the sunset peepers are back on their buses to Fira, Oia is actually peaceful.

Only you can decide what you want to do. Santorini for the spectacular scenery, or Naxos for a more traditional island with better beaches. Whichever you choose you need to get busy with hotel bookings.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 12:39 PM

Wow everyone is so nice.. I will be the odd man out.. this is not a good plan.. its not a visit to greece its just a tour on ferrys..

Ferries between islands take time.. so you are arriving at night on Naxos.. and leaving next day for Mykonos.. whats the point..

I would absolutely skip Santorini.. the crowds in Naxos will be NOTHING like they will be there.. I would add the day to Naxos.. otherwise this isnt a vist this is just a series of transits.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 04:39 PM
kja

Originally Posted by ebecke
Should we skip Santorini entirely and spend the extra day in Naxos? Or leave as is?
FWIW, here are two things you might consider:

Depending on your interests, an extra day in Naxos (which I loved!) might or might not give you the time you would want to take advantage of it's opportunities. Personally, I know I'm not likely to revisit anywhere I've been, simply because I'll never have enough time or money to visit all the places I want to go, and so I like to match the time I have to the places I visit. Other people like to "sample" places as a way to help inform their later travel decisions. No right or wrong answer there, just something to consider.

As for Santorini, I can't say that I regret visiting it, because I had wanted to do so; too, I thought Akrotiri fascinating, and am very glad that I saw the selection of artifacts from Akrotiri in the Museum of Prehistoric Thira. That said, Santorini in the most seriously overrated place I have ever visited. I know I'm an outlier, but I just didn't think the views all that great or the charm all that evident. And unlike any where else I visited in Greece (where people were incredibly welcoming and gracious), many of the people I encountered in Santorini who were part of the tourism industry were decidedly rude -- and frankly, I don't blame them, as I was appalled by the rudeness of the hordes of tourists! So if you have always wanted to visit Santorini, do, but maybe temper your expectations a bit.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have too many islands to visit in a short time, they will be a blur. We have stayed on all three islands you mention and I would suggest skipping Naxos. Naxos is lovely but Santorini is truly unique and I found Mykonos one of the most picturesque places I'd ever been. At the time of year you are visiting it will be very crowded and hot so be prepared. Santorini in particular is very popular but for good reason. If you can afford it, book a place to stay with a caldera view. Our first visit we didn't and I was sorry afterwards. On our second visit we stayed in Oia, with a stupendous view. One of life's great memories.

Kay
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 12:11 AM

Well, ebecke, you now have a range of views, none of them wrong, just different. As for ferry travel, Santorini to Naxos is 2hrs, and Naxos to Mykonos only 45min, so 2hrs 45 min out of your holiday is not exactly a "tour of ferries", and you may find the experience lots of fun. Add to that the time spent packing and unpacking, transfers, etc, so pack light.

I don't like one night island stops myself, while others prefer a fast paced holiday, getting a glimpse of each destination. Work with what you have, and decide if you want to cut one of the destinations. The decision will be easier if you plan another trip to Greece in the future.

Last edited by Heimdall; Mar 6th, 2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by kja
I just didn't think the views all that great or the charm all that evident. And unlike any where else I visited in Greece (where people were incredibly welcoming and gracious), many of the people I encountered in Santorini who were part of the tourism industry were decidedly rude
Since you may skip Santorini, I won't list all the wonderful places to visit. We take lots of photographs, and the three blues: sky, water and domes of churches contrast wonderfully with the white buildings on the cliffs. Hard to miss the views or the charm. Perhaps it depends on the time of year. We visited Santorini in November. It was crowded then, but not unlike many other popular places in Europe. I have heard it can be incredibly overcrowded in summer, but there are quieter places than Oia at sunset. And, we found local people, at least then, to be very friendly and warm. The only rude people we encountered were tourists, usually getting off and on buses, making a mad rush to jockey for that perfect photo. But, there is a reason they were all there.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 04:13 AM

Probably in November most people whitehall encountered on Santorini were indeed "local", as summer workers will have departed. During summer temporary workers come to the islands, many from other countries. If someone is rude to you don't assume that person is Greek.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 09:06 AM

Definately do not miss Santorini. It is the only open caldera tovisit all around the world
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Over-rated? The views aren't all that great?

Old Mar 6th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,
I love all the comments, and I love that you all love different aspects of Greece!

@Whitehall - those photos are beautiful!

I decided to stick with the overly ambitious schedule in my original post. So two nights Athens, one night Santorni, two nights Naxos, one night Mykonos. I do like to cram a lot into my vacations, because we don't get to take a ton of vacations. I don't rest on vacations -- I rest when I get back home.

And I've booked hotels too -- so getting set. Boy are some rates expensive in the summer! I did not book a hotel in Athens yet, but booked Fileria Suites in Santorini, Naxos Resort Beach Hotel in Naxos, and Rocabella in Mykonos. Please don't tell me anything bad about them, because most are non-refundable.

I'm thinking of flying from Athens to Santorini, but could take ferry. I have a tendency to get sea sick, so I will stick to the car ferries vs the fast ferries.

Thanks again. I love the dialogue!
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 03:50 PM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Stay 1 night in Athens (get a room with an Acropolis view because it's probably your 1 night in Athens ever, so why not).

Pick Santorini OR Mykonos. Stay the rest of the week there. Santorini is a lot prettier. Mykonos is marginally more fun.

Skip the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -