Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Virginia In April: Is this a good time to visit?

Old Feb 20th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a 7-day trip to the Old Dominion tentatively scheduled for April 10-17. My destinations will include the Colonial Triangle, Richmond, Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, and Roanoke. Activities: museums, battlefields, historic sites, and hiking.

In my home state of South Carolina, early April is pretty unpredictable. The weather can be warm and delightful one day, wintry and wet the next. What is Virginia like at this time of year? I plan on packing my polar fleece and gore-tex; should I leave my hiking shorts at home?

Any restaurant recommendations for the above-mentioned cities would also be appreciated. I will be looking for seafood, German, Italian, and local craft brews.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 10:10 AM

April is transitional in most states in the US except real southern ones, seems to me, so I'd say it's the same as anywhere in that regard. Some Aprils are warmer than others but I think your idea of wintry from SC is something I would never call wintry because I would never describe April in Va as possibly "wintry." rain and wet? sure, but it's not an unusually wet month, and not wintry which to me means snow and ice storms and temps below 35. In recent years, the ski resorts have had terrible seasons in Va due to climate change, for example, there isn't hardly any serious snow any more seems to me. I haven't been skiing at Massanuitten for years due to that, just when they get maybe a couple inches, it becomes 60 and rains or something. It will likely be in the 60s to 70 in daytime and maybe down to 45-50 at night around Richmond and Charlottesville.

Fleece is cheap and easy to pack, of course, a fleece jacket could be useful at night. I don't know about the Goretex or what you plan to do that you would need that. I only own Goretex ski clothes, but I suppose people who hike a lot even in bad weather must own some. If you always take Goretex, fine, but it's not a rainy season or anything unusual. I would not wear hiking shorts myself in April, that's for sure. I would think long pants would be better than exposing your skin and legs so much anyway (I doubt I would ever wear shorts in the woods). Have you ever had Lyme disease? I have and it's not fun. Perhaps you never think about it in SC, but most Lyme disease cases are in the Mid-Atlantic area and parts of New England.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Hi Christina - we've spent quite a bit of time at Massanutten as well! Generally we enjoy spending a week at Massanutten in March or April. Hard to predict the actual weather then, but we generally do manage to see spring bulbs in March and the trees in bloom late March into April. Some Aprils I have even worn shorts. Well, once I wore shorts in D.C. for a St. Patrick's Day parade, too. A couple of times we got snowed in during March.

I second the fleece idea. If you bring gore-tex, it should be along the order of an unlined rain jacket that you can wear over fleece, or with a lining that can be unzipped. It might be helpful to follow the calendar of the Cherry Blossom Festival; the bud development might inform your clothes packing decisions. https://nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/

We lived for 5 years down in Roanoke/Salem. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 02:34 AM

"In my home state of South Carolina, early April is pretty unpredictable. The weather can be warm and delightful one day, wintry and wet the next"

Being from just about on the SC line in NC I find this pretty interesting and unusual. April--azaleas and dogwoods? Wintry?
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 04:42 AM

Virginia is a hot bed of local breweries and wineries. In Richmond, head to the Scott's Addition area and there are a number of breweries, a cider place and lots of good local restaurants. Lunch/Supper is particularly good as is ZZQ BBQ (get the brisket). Millie's Diner (not a diner) is IMO the best brunch in town.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 10:54 AM

This thread has good information about the Williamsburg area
ONLY 2 DAYS IN WILLIAMSBURG

As the thread indicates, my husband and I were in VA in April 2017.We were coming from northern VT so to us the weather in VA seemed delightfully warm. Garden week is a beautiful time to visit VA but it is later than the tentative dates you have chosen.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 05:24 AM

Be prepared for wet. Like much of the East Coast it seems, we have had a ton of rain since about August of last year. I fact, they actually said on the radio we had our first dry weekend since August a couple weeks ago. In the valley where I live, it’s a sloppy, muddy mess. Hopefully by April this rain will let up, but you never know.

Rt 151 is a good place to start for local brews and wineries, as well as a couple cider places. It’s right outside Crozet/Charlottesville. Like someone else said, there are breweries everywhere, just take your pick. For good food and brews, I’d recommend Blue Mountain Brewery and Devil’s Backbone.

You said German food. There is a little restaurant in Greenville (just off 81, about 15 min south of Staunton) called Edelweiss that is traditional German. People around here love it. I’ve never tried, not my thing, but it is very well liked.

We also like Rhett’s River Grill in Charlottesville. They do seafood, and we love their variety of oysters. It is a smaller restaurant and not as fancy as some of the others, but good.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi I am in Richmond and April can be warm and sunny and cool and rainy! So good to be prepared for both! April 16th is a big 10k in town and it is the 20th anniversary of the Monument Ave 10k. Hotels may be busier than normal and so will restaurants. I will say that this 10K is a lot of fun and many people walk it as well as run. There are local bands on many street corners and you are running up and down the street which currently holds all the monuments, which may be coming down at some point. It is a beautiful wide tree lined streets with some large prestigious homes.

In Richmond, there are many great breweries mentioned above in Scotts Addition and located in around the city as well. One has shuffleboard games inside which I am heading to for the first time today. There are also many great urban hikes around town and down near the James River.
Richmond has great history located all around town.
RVA segway and trolley tours do segways and also have trolley tours for the breweries and wineries.

Heading west, you have some beautiful mountainous parts of Virginia with fabulous hikes and small historic towns. Charlottesville has Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello which is a nice visit.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 11:45 AM

I second the rec for Edelweiss restaurant if you really love German food; it'll be on your way from Cville to Roanoke. They often have an accordion player on weekends, as well. We haven't been there in ages as I'm vegetarian and pickings are slim (but good) for me. The Bavarian Chef on Route 29 north of Charlottesville also gets a lot of love but I have never been there.

I have not had any outstanding Italian food in central Va, though I hear there's some good restaurants in Richmond (people go wild for Mama Zu's). And I have not been to Lampo in Charlottesville but it's well liked by locals. Frankly, I think just walking down Cville's downtown mall gives plenty of options and you can look at menus and crowds and decide rather than trying to seek out a particular type of cuisine and going out of your way for it.

Also second the rec to enjoy a tour on 151 for wineries/cideries/breweries. If you want to do a lot of tasting, consider the Hop On tour company, which will pick you up and drop you off in Cville. It's a safe choice considering that it will be somewhat difficult to uber or get a cab in that area--it's rural and not close enough to Cville that there is for-hire transportation close by. I've used them. There isn't a whole lot of "tour" going on so much as a safe ride but that may have changed since I did it.

I think April can be downright cold sometimes. Snow flurries or ice would be unusual but not impossible. And it's going to be about what you described--unpredictable. Last week it snowed on Wed. and was in the 60s on Thursday. April is just as wild in my experience.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Mama Zus does get good reviews. I have never been! It has the reputation of the soup nazi from Seinfeld. Don't ask for anything not on the menu.

Downtown Richmond Italian:
La Grotta which is now located in the Hilton, formerly were in Shockoe Bottom is very good. Food is authentic and the atmosphere is nice.

Edo Squid is a good restaurant located at the top of very dismal looking stairs and opens into a bright room with windows. (they are not on open table).

We got to go recently from Note bene, pizza and roasted cauliflower and a ceaser salad and they were all good. Restaurant inside is cozy and has a nice appeal.
Don't miss the Church Hill area of Richmond which has St. John's Church where Patrick Henry said Give me Liberty or Give me death! There is an Edgar Allen Poe Museum there as well.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 06:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
We have an outdoor wedding to attend in Charlottesville the weekend before you arrive so it’s pretty much a guarantee that we’ll get snow flurries.

Tavola in Charlottesville has excellent Italian food but it can be tough to get a table.

Do the battlefield tour in Yorktown and then drive the parkway to Jamestown. Stop for a beer flight at Billsburg micro brewery on the creek. If you’re lucky the Prost food truck will be there.
https://prostonthego.com/#food

Virginia Beer Company and Amber Ox in Williamsburg are also good. Amber Ox is a full restaurant while VBC will have a food truck.

Waypoint offers excellent seafood with a German slant because the owner is Austrian. (They own Prost.) It’s higher end but the bar is very friendly. I also like Oceans and Ale for seafood.

My favorite hike in the Williamsburg area is Taskinas Creek at York River State Park.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 06:34 AM

Edo's Squid is the user friendly version of Mama Zu's. They have the same owner and management. However, you can get reservations at Edo's and they also take credit cards, which MZ does not. Recommendations: Branzino, Squid & white beans with arugula, carbonara and veal Marsala. The duck salad is also amazing but very rich, so its a good item to share.