Search

Electronics Peru

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronics Peru

Going to Peru in June and I have a question regarding electronic devices (including phone). I have an iPhone 6 my questions are - do I need a special plug for charging the phone in Peru. I understand they have 220v outlets and I am not sure an iPhone can handle that. Next is the phone itself. I have Verizon and my phone is unlocked and I have used a SIM card from Mobal when travelling in Europe. Should I get a SIM card that works for Peru or utilize Verizon's overseas plan of $5.00 in a 24 hour period when used for data, text or calls. I decided not to take an iPad as that could get lost and when hiking the Inca Trail one less thing to carry.

Thank you.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 06:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your iPhone charger is dual voltage. It will be fine. Many places have the same sort of plugs/outlets as in the States but some use the same sort of two round prongs just like in Continental Europe. So if you don't have one, pick up an inexpensive European plug adapter (in the travel section of most any department or big box store or luggage shop or even at your departure airport - though it will cost more at the airport)
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 11:43 PM

Movistar and Claro are the main telecoms providers and either will sell you a reasonably priced sim with a data and calls allow - I am sure you can find tariffs online. you would need to source a sim in Lima city as I am pretty sure they don’t sell them at the airport anymore. if you go this route, get them to set it up for you and make sure all is working BEFORE leaving the shop.

Your iPhone will be fine but you will need either a universal travel adaptor or the “official” Apple plug for Peru. The latter will charge your phone faster but the adapter will cope with the various socket types you may encounter.

if doing the full Inca Trail, or intend using your phone as a primary camera you may want to take an external battery pack or solar charger as there will be nowhere to plug in.

Re carrying stuff on the Inca Trail - porters will carry your main pack. you will only carry your day pack. Otherwise, your are spot on; the less you carry hiking uphill at altitude the better!
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 07:40 AM

Re SIM card

i recently got an Argentina sim from Claro. I didn’t really understand what I was getting - it turns out what I got was roaming data (I initially got 2GB - eventually I added 3 GB (we were there over a month). I used about 4 GB total over a period of 22 days in Argentina, Chile and Brazil, but some of those days there was no cell service (Patagonia trek). For data, I used WiFi instead of cell whenever it was available.

Phone calls are what I didn’t understand at first. I didn’t buy minutes. I just downloaded WhatsApp, which uses WiFi or cellular data to make calls over the internet. The person you want to call has to have a WhatsApp account (a little like FaceTime in that regard). So we could make calls iPhone to iPhone using FaceTime when we had WiFi, or WhatsApp to WhatsApp when we had either WiFi or cell coverage.

To add more data (what you initially buy is a certain number of GB for a certain number of days- I bought 2GB for 15 days initially - it was the best price value), you go to a kiosk, give them your phone number and add money to your claro account. Then you open up claro.com (actually you’ll get multiple texts from them) giving you a choice of products to buy. I put 300 AP in my account and bought a 3GB/30 day plan.

It it was incredibly cheap. I think I paid a total of $7USD.

Last edited by sf7307; Feb 14th, 2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 07:05 PM

My Peru - experienced friends advise that the vast majority of places use plugs with two parallel blades just like in the States, but electricity can be a bit sketchy in some places - especially Cuzco - and suggest taking a small surge suppressor. I am packing the suppressor and one round pin adapter just in case.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 03:23 PM

I don't recall anything but US style plugs
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 09:55 AM

All the plugs I have seen so far accept both flat blade and round pin plugs.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 07:16 AM

You'll find wifi readily available so you may not even need anything more than that. I've often popped into a McDonalds or Starbucks to check emails in Lima. Even Cruz del Sur has free wifi on their buses as long as there is a signal (just in towns). You won't have a signal everywhere.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Seamus
All the plugs I have seen so far accept both flat blade and round pin plugs.
You probably stay at fancier places than I do.. now that there are so many more tourists I imagine they're catering to overseas visitors from the Euro zone as well.
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Now using T-Mobile on my iPhone so it is supposed to work in Peru.