Medellin or Bogota March for 3 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a long weekend trip somewhere interesting - not beachy - and not cold.
We live in Miami and we have been to Cartagena already (loved it!)
Love food, history, culture, adventure, roaming.

Sadly we can only do 4 days and 3 nights!
If neither of these are good options - feel free to make another suggestion!!
TIA
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 07:58 AM

Both cities fit your wish list but Medellin will likely be the warmer of the two cities simply because it is at a lower altitude ( neither will be cold). Of the two we preferred Bogota and wished we had spent longer there. Would like to return to Colombia someday and would definitely make it back to Bogota.

There are some posts about our time in both cities on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/colombia/ which may provide an idea of what to expect. I also posted a trip report here if you click on my profile.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 10:05 AM

Bogota has two great museums, a graffiti tour and Montserrate. While there is a rapid transit system, it can be horribly crowded to the point of being dangerous, although useful outside of commute hours. There are a number of different neighborhoods. For first time you can stay in Candelaria but it's less safe after dark. I also like the area around Parque El Virrey.

Medellin has the Communa 13 tour, the downtown walking tour by Real City. Also you can take the cable car after the Communa 13 tour up and over the hills. The local rapid transit system is fantastic. I also liked Parque Explora although I don't think it's as great for museums as Bogota. It won't feel "Old" like parts of Cartagena and Bogota.

I thought the food was better in Medellin. I also especially liked the Hotel Alejandria Poblado but be aware that it's in the hills, there are also spots to stay in the "flats" along the Golden Mile. Or even the Ibis suggested by crellston worked out fine for a night or two. I found the people in Medellin a little more relaxed than those in Bogota.

As crellston said, both will likely tick your boxes. The weather is warmer in Medellin. Traffic is awful in both places.

There are possibilities for day trips out of each city if you run out of things to do.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 31st, 2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 10:04 PM

"Traffic is awful in both places" - very true! If you can, and you choose Bogota, book your trip to include a Sunday as they close the streets of th centre to traffics so everyone can run and ride their bikes through the streets.

The Salt Cathedral at Zipiquira is a nice day trip fromBOG.
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies!!! I'm going to save the info for later - we had a change in plans... the dates I was looking conflicted with another travel event.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 10:21 AM

MBM: Did you ever go??? I have booked a hotel in spain but looks like I will not be allowed in.....looking for alternative to Florida for part of this winter.....must check if they allow USA people into the country....thinking of a place to swim but not a resort, more of a city with a hotel or apartment with a heated pool for about one month...
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 02:39 PM

For a short stay, another factor is which destination has the easiest/quickest airline connection to your home.