Utah canyons tip for a week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a 5-7 day trip to Utah canyon national park with 10 and 13 year olds. Was thinking 2 nights in zion (2 days), 2 nights in page (visting antelope canyon for upper canyon tour), horseshoe bend, 1 night in monument valley ( taking a jeep tour in monument valley).
Want to get a taste of each of the place and take 1 or two hikes but not rush ourselves but at the same time dont want to stay in one park for all the time.
Questions:
1. what do you think of the above itinerary?
2. Should i add Bryce for 1 or 2 days to this itinerary? will i miss anything if i don't visit Bryce?
3. What are one or two hike recommendation in zion, antelope and monument valley?
4. recommendation for places to stay in zion, monument valley and page?
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 08:39 PM

Click on my user name for trip reports with kids in all of these places except monument valley. I would add Bryce over Antelope Canyon, IMO.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 03:54 AM

I agree with StantonHyde, if you don't want to cut Antelope Canyon, then cut one day there and add Bryce for a day. In any case, Horseshoe bend and Antelope can easily be done in one day, horseshoe bend is a 10 minute walk out over soft sand, take a look, walk back, watch the kids as there is no railing.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 08:56 AM

What time of year is this trip? Can't really answer the question about hikes and itinerary without knowing that. Midsummer can be very hot in Zion and Monument Valley, winter/spring can be snowy at Bryce.

Questions:
1. what do you think of the above itinerary? See above
2. Should i add Bryce for 1 or 2 days to this itinerary? will i miss anything if i don't visit Bryce? Obvious answer - you'll miss seeing Bryce. It's very different from the other locations you've mentioned.
3. What are one or two hike recommendation in zion, antelope and monument valley? Zion - depends on time of year. Hike the Narrows if you can. Many people like Angel's Landing but if it's icy you won't be comfortable with that. Antelope - you hike into the canyon and back out, that's about the only option. Monument Valley - The only non-guided hike is described here: Hiking in Monument Valley | Monument Valley View
4. recommendation for places to stay in zion, monument valley and page? Springdale or the National Park lodge for Zion.