Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay on Paros for ~1 week in mid-June (family w/kids)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fellow Fodorites!

We're heading to Greece again this summer and plan to spend 6-7 nights in Paros which we've never visited. Other Cyclades stops are Mykonos for 5 nights (a re-visit, as we want to re-see Delos and sleep off jet lag) and Naxos for 10 nights (also a re-visit).

We love (LOVE) ancient history. We usually rent a car and sight see during the day, hitting a family-friendly beach by 3-4pm and staying there until dinnertime. Looking at Paros, it seems like there is tourist infrastructure in both Parikia and in Naousa. Antiparos looks lovely, but given our desire to see archaeological sites, it appears Paros itself is likely the more logical base.

So... where do you like to base from? Any apartments or hotels you recommend?

Thank you so much!
Jill
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 11:23 PM

Hi TexasAggie,

Staying somewhere on Paros would obviously be more convenient for seeing the sights of the island. That said, the most important archaeological site is Despotiko, which must be accessed through Antiparos. Despotiko can be reached from Agios Georgios, AKA San Giorgio, at the south of the island with the boats operated by Captain Sargos. There are also a number of island boat trips from Paros that stop for BBQ lunches at one of the beaches on Despotko, but they don't go to the archaeological site as far as I know.

Since you are renting a car there is a wide choice of where to stay on Paros. Parikia is best for getting around to other parts of the island, while Naoussa, IMO, is prettier. Paros is the working town of Paros, not very attractive around the ferry docks, but walk a few streets away and there is the kastro, Ekatontapyliani church (go inside and you will be stunned by its beauty), and a small museum with artefacts dug up on Despotiko and other islets around Paros. Little known is the ancient Greek cemetery just a few steps from the ferry docks in the direction of the marina. During excavation for a building project it was discovered, and you can still see the urns used for the burials.

Other places to consider staying, to name a few, are the quiet village of Alyki at the south of the island, Piso Livadi on the east coast, and Drios also on the east coast. Drios is probably a little too far out of the way, at the southern end of a long string of sandy beaches.

Antiparos is absolutely delightful in June, and you can take your rental car on the landing craft ferry back to Paros. Most Antiparos visitors that time of year are Scandinavian families who come back every year, but there is an eclectic mix of English-speaking Greeks and other Europeans. Antiparos is the friendliest island I have ever been to, and many repeat visitors consider it their second home.
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 01:47 AM

I guess I am too late to edit? When I wrote: "Paros is the working town of Paros" I meant to say "Parikia is the working town of Paros".
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Heimdall, thank you so very much for all of the detailed insight and information. We spoke last year on another thread about Despotiko and we were so sad to have to remove Paros/Antiparos from that trip (the opportunity to spend about 2 weeks on Evvia with a friend born and raised there came up at the last minute).

We don't normally do this, but I am wondering with about a week on Paros... if perhaps we should split where we stay. 3 nights on Paros proper and really make the most of 2 full days driving to the sights, and 3-4 nights Antiparos (Despotiko + R&R).

It's definitely not normally what we do (we usually plunk down for 5-14 days in each spot)... but it just seems like it might work here.

What are your thoughts?

Also, is it possible to rent a car on Antiparos itself, or should we plan to ferry the car over from Paros? I am assuming that while on Antiparos, a car is needed to get to the area where the boats to Despotiko depart...
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 09:10 AM

Yes, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to split your stay between Paros itself and Antiparos. There are two or three car rental agencies along the harbour on Antiparos, so you don’t have to bring a car over from Paros. As far as I know all the car rental agencies on Antiparos are reputable, but I go everywhere on foot so can’t give you a recommendation from experience.

There is a bus that runs from Antiparos Town to Agios Georgios, but it doesn’t run very frequently, so a car would be better. There is also a bus that takes people to the stalactite cave. I always said I would go there on a rainy day, and it took several years for one to happen. Your kids might be interested to see some ancient graffiti that was left by early visitors.

Don’t expect Despotiko to be as impressive as Delos this early in the excavations—most of what lies on Despotiko is still underground. It will give you a chance to see a working archeological site, though, and maybe even see some actual digging.
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We would happily return to Naoussa on Paros for another week. Adding Antiparos would be perfect.
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Hello i think it is more logical to stay in Paros as you said.if you want something luxury you can try Yria Hotel is very nice i spent 4 days there last summer it s 3 km away from Paroikia It has pool private beach,parking etc or you can stay in Pyrgaki hotel it has also website to see the amazing view
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Just updating that we settled on 7 nights Antiparos/Paros. Looking at spending all 7 nights on Antiparos and taking 2 to 3 daytrips over to Paros to see the museum and archaeological sites. I'm just not keen on switching accommodations mid-week and would prefer to do multiple daytrips over to Paros as opposed to the hassle of switching lodging.

Now... to find where to stay on Antiparos. Kastro looks lovely but they do not appear to have any 2-bedroom units. Any other suggestions? We arrive on a Wednesday which I believe rules out Dolphin, as their website states arrival Sat/Sun.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 06:57 PM

I trust you are looking on Booking.com, Hotels .com etc --- we would have to do the same for you .... and we can't even help "dummy booking searches" because guess what, you haven't given us your dates. Come on girl, when u want best advice, u need to share SPecifics!
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:01 AM

One place to check, which may have what you want, is ThalaSea Studios & Apartments. It's very popular, so may already be booked up: ThalaSea Studios & Apartments // Antiparos Hotels | Antiparos Rooms

Also check a website operated by Hans Huismann, a Dutchman who knows the islands like the back of his hand:
Antiparos Greece hotels, apartments, studios, holiday houses and villas

I met Hans one time when staying at Mike's Place, a very small hotel that has one or two apartments. Any of the hotels he recommends would be a good choice. Look at the listings and contact the hotels directly by email. You can check booking(dot)com, but not all hotels are listed. If you have a car it would be easy to stay in Glyfa or one of the other small settlements outside of town.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jan and Heimdall, thank you both so much. Late last night, I decided to send Kastro an email just in case they did have a 2 bedroom unit available despite what was showing up online. They do! And it is 180E/night so it is within our budget!!

So now we have accommodations set for our June trip!
Mykonos (4 nights - only going back to finish seeing Delos and to check out the two things billbarr has mentioned) - Artemoula's
Antiparos (7 nights) - Kastro
Naxos (10 nights) - Birikos
Athens (final 3 nights) - Adrian Hotel (have been staying here since 2006. Simple but so well located!)

Thank you all again so very much.

We will be renting a car on Antiparos.
Naxos as well. We rented from Auto Tour Rent a Car last year close to Naxos port and had an excellent experience. Will be using them again.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

For price reference for others researching --

A large 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment that sleeps 4 at Artemoula's (Mykonos) is 140E per night the second week of June for a 4-night stay.
A 2-bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment at Birikos (Naxos) is 120E per night in late June for a 10-night stay.

So Kastro at Antiparos for a week in between is our "splurge", but we still have trimmed what we spent on accommodations quite a bit compared to last summer. Last summer, we had a larger unit at Artemoula's at 200E/night. Very nice but more room than we needed. Last summer on Naxos, we had a gorgeous apartment at Villa Naxia for 200E/night and a beautiful unit at Kavos for 260E/night. Both were amazing (really!!)... but more than we needed.

Hoping that for this year, we will have found a better balance of paying for the space and amenities we really care about (WiFi, A/C at night, pool) but not more. Fingers crossed
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 09:23 AM

Congratulations on getting an apartment at Kastro! I have spoken with Magda, one of the owners, and chatted with some very happy guests, so know you will like it. Kastro is in a quiet location only a few minutes from the main street, and just up a small hill from Psaraliki II, my favourite beach. Views over the strait to Paros are spectacular. I believe Kastro will meet you at the Antiparos docks if they know when you are arriving.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Heimdall! Yes, they will meet us at the docks. Once I've booked our passage from Mykonos, I am supposed to email them the vessel and approximate time of arrival . Thank you again so very much for always being so generous with sharing your knowledge. You and stanbr helped me plan my first trip to Greece back in 2006! We are so appreciative, truly. Thank you!

Great to know about the proximity to the beach. Our older son (he will be 8 for this trip) could swim in the sea from dawn to dusk. He becomes impervious to cold, hunger, pretty much everything, haha!
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 10:20 AM

Just curious, TexasAggie: I spent a lot of time in various parts of Texas, from Laredo to Wichita Falls and Houston to Del Rio, during my Air Force career, and many of my fellow officers were Aggies. If you don't mind my asking, where are you from?
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your service in the Air Force!
Born and raised in the Dallas area. After college/grad school (Texas A&M), set off for the Denver metro area from 2002-2012. Headed back to Texas at that point, and we're just south of Denton these days in a little town called Highland Village.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 01:45 PM

Heimdall, I looove that beach. When we were there, I think 1st week of June, only 15 people or so were there .... and sunbeds were stacked up untended, so we didn't even have to fork out a euro! Also, trees shade the edge of the beach as well. I remember one of my companions in 2 entire weeks, on 3 other islands, had not gone into the water (she was from Iowa, did not swim well, was timid)... and Finally she ventured on Antiparos, and LOVEd it, and I took a photo of her out near a fab anchored yacht, to show to her friends at home....