Hawaii - Which two islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2019, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip to Hawaii (first time) from the East Coast in late May/early June. We're trying to choose two islands out of three: Big Island, Maui, and Kauai. We like nature/beautiful and diverse scenery, hiking, swimming and walking along the beach (but not sunbathing), learning about local culture and history, and good food. We would prefer not to rush around too much. Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 06:31 AM

How many days?
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Two weeks
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 07:08 AM

I haven't been in ages but Kauai and Big Island would be my choices.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 07:19 AM

Good, you have enough time for two! I vote for Big Island and Kauai but there are a lot of Maui lovers out there. BI with most nights on the West side and a couple on the east side (although we do more). One third Kauai, one location. You will get a great variety of scenery and beauty with opportunities for beaches. Be sure to take a boat trip on one of the islands.

As far as local culture goes seek out small markets and shops in small towns instead of Safeway. And museums of course.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 08:17 AM

Well I get the nature and scenery thing.. we like Kaui for that.. however for history you still can not beat Oahu.. Pearl Harbour is a must ( and I am not even an american ) , And Bishop Museum and the Polynesion Cultural Centre..
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 10:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well it's not on your list for some reason, but I'd pick either Oahu + Maui or Oahu + Kauai.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 11:25 AM

If it is a first, and maybe only, trip I would also suggest Oahu is in your consideration. It's a very crowded, modern city and surroundings. Followed by at least 10 days (12 if you can) on the Big Island.

Oahu is the heart and soul of modern Hawaii and the Big Island is what we have decided (it is just our personal opinion!) to be where "real" or "old" Hawaii can be found. Especially in the rural areas, many multi generation families who exhibit a strong aloha spirit. So big, so many fewer people, so, so diverse in geography, climate, culture, scenery...

We had not been to Maui in more than 10 years but did visit earlier for a week this year after spending a few weeks on the Big Island. It's beautiful (and very small!) but, for whatever reason, draws a different type of visitor than Hawaii Island...not bad, but we saw more of the negative stereotype visitors there and much less presence of the Hawaiian culture we enjoy on the Big Island. And, to us, this special aspect of the state is part of the enjoyment - no other states have such strong local culture.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
People have a misconception that all of Oahu is like Honolulu/Waikiki (a modern high rise kind of city). Nothing could be further from the truth... there is an entire *island* outside of the city of Honolulu to explore.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 01:33 PM

I would also pick Kauai and Big Island, my two favorites.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 12:53 AM

TJM-70

Oahu is an island.. not a city.. many parts are rural.. some are positively wild... one can avoid the big city by staying somewhere else than Honolulu or Waikiki ..
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 05:57 AM

Ah, editing is a weakness of this forum. I edited my post to change some wording and left out Honolulu. I wanted it to say Honolulu / Waikiki area...

To the OP: the city of Honolulu metro-area is a sight to behold and worth seeing. The rest of Oahu is beautiful but it's crowded everywhere. Almost a million people on an island smaller than most mainland counties. We spend most of our time in a rural part of the Big Island - so it's all relative. Our experience is so quiet and slow, everyplace on Oahu seems busy to me. My cousins live right in Honolulu and operate their restaurant in Waikiki; they love the city life and view a trip to Kaneohe as an overnight trip. Our place is in one of the least populated parts of Hawaii along the longest undeveloped coast in the whole state. We drive 60 minutes to Hilo for shopping and more dining options. But we still go to Oahu every couple of years just to experience the crowds and buzz. Our next trip we plan to stay on the North Shore and commute for family events.

Last edited by TJM_70; Jan 7th, 2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 06:21 AM

We’ve been to Hawaii 3 times and we live in Europe. My sister & BIL now live in Maui & love it.
Oahu is a must IMO, seeing Waikiki and Diamond Head & the touristy sights for the first time etc was just wonderful plus the north and east of the island, esp the beaches around Kailua were spectacular and the scuba excursion to see the Corsair was fantastic.
Maui took a bit more getting used to, I guess our expectations were wrong, it was more built up than we thought it would be but once we found Napili, found a condo complex we like, rented a car and drove to Hana, Haleakala etc we really grew to love Maui & have been twice.
Kauai was disappointing for us because we thought (naïvely perhaps & based on the reputation of it having a lot of nature) that the whole island would be like the Garden of Eden, but aside from a small area in the north (seemed smaller than the rural area covering the Road to Hana but I might be wrong)a lot of the island seemed dry, dusty, busy and full of chickens. Napali & Waimea we’re indeed truly beautiful though.
Each visit included Oahu + either Maui or Kauai. Next visit will be Oahu + Big Island.