Minneapolis Winter Carnival/ Ice Palaces

Old Dec 9th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minneapolis Winter Carnival/ Ice Palaces

Will be visiting family during the last weekend of 2019 Winter Carnival and the Ice Palaces will be going, too. We only have two full days on the weekend. Never done either of these and was hoping someone from the area could offer insight/suggestions.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 05:52 AM

The winter carnival and ice palaces are actually in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. I don't believe there is an ice palace this year - it's not an annual thing. There will be ice sculptures but that's not the same thing. There's a parade on the Saturday that you're in town but I've never attended that. Really all I've done for the winter carnival is the ice palace and sculptures last year, so I can't give much advice other than to say dress warm and go an night when the sculptures are lit up as I think they are more dramatic than in the daytime.
https://www.wintercarnival.com/

Minneapolis is hosting the loppet that weekend, so you could attend some of the events on Saturday/Sunday around that as well.
https://www.loppet.org/cityoflakesloppet/
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WhereAreWe
The winter carnival and ice palaces are actually in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. I don't believe there is an ice palace this year - it's not an annual thing. There will be ice sculptures but that's not the same thing. There's a parade on the Saturday that you're in town but I've never attended that. Really all I've done for the winter carnival is the ice palace and sculptures last year, so I can't give much advice other than to say dress warm and go an night when the sculptures are lit up as I think they are more dramatic than in the daytime.
https://www.wintercarnival.com/

Minneapolis is hosting the loppet that weekend, so you could attend some of the events on Saturday/Sunday around that as well.
https://www.loppet.org/cityoflakesloppet/
Thanks, whereweare. Double checked and its Ice Castles in Excelsior instead of Ice Palace. We will be there the first weekend in February. I have never experienced a real winter like this and am kind of excited and scared. 😉.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 10:25 AM

Ah, I didn't think of that ice castle. I went to it last winter in Stillwater, it was decent at night. If it's warm, be prepared for dripping water and getting sort of wet. You may have a bit of a line but the tickets are timed so it shouldn't be too bad. I'd still recommend going at night because it'll be lit up and I think that's cooler than daytime. You'll want shoes or boots will good traction.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 04:12 PM

Indoor things to do:

Minneapolis is know for theater and I could not find one webpage for the theaters (except for the various touring shows you can see anywhere). Search for some of the more well-known theater companies: Guthrie, Penumbra, Mixed Blood, Theatre in the Round, Jungle, Park Square, Theater Latté Da, Children's Theatre, there are many you should be able to find something.

Another indoor activity is either of the 2 main art museums, Minneapolis Institute of Art (free) and the Walker Art Center.

Frank Gehry built one of his first funky buildings @ the U of Minnesota, the Weisman Art Museum Minneapolis Winter Carnival/ Ice Palaces-weisman-art-museum.jpg

Also for cross country skiing, easy to rent equipment at Hyland Lake Park in Bloomington (they make snow here for cross country so it works if the ground is bare elsewhere), and ice skating rentals at Centennial Lakes In Edina. Excelsior has a nice walkable little downtown.

Last edited by tom_mn; Dec 13th, 2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Great info, Tom. Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 08:36 PM

There’s pretty viscous cold forecast middle of next week but looks like it will warm to be just frigid for the weekend you are coming.

clothing: since it will be very cold you might want to review clothing. There’s a reason people who work outside wear Carhartt type stuff that’s heavy canvas, and with a hood. Down coats and alpine skiwear sometimes the wind blows right through. Worry about heat escaping from around the neck, that’s why hoods are so practical. Cover ears and if gloves not mittens think of pockets you can use to warm them.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Well, I was all ready to go but am cancelling our flights because of security and safety concerns with air travel during the government shutdown. Still hoping to go in winter but it won't be next week as planned.
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I went after all! So glad because it "warmed up" to about 30 on February 2, and we spent the whole day at the Winter Carnival in St. Paul. I eas surprised they had been doing since the lare 1800s. Ice scultures in Kellogg Park were amazing and we had hot mulled wine, Baileyd and coffee, and cheese curds. We drove out to the fairgrounds to see the snow scuptures and then went back downtown, had dinner and went to back to Kellog Park to watch the parade Vulcan ceremony and fireworks over the FROZEN Mississippi.

The next day we did the Washata Street Cave tour, which was very interesting and fun.

Sorry we missed Loppett-- it sounded really cool, too. We will be back next year, though, I hope.

Love the Twin Cities!
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Please excuse my typos above. Too early in the morning.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 06:50 PM

Glad you had a good time. Not many Americans would make the trip. You’ll have to visit Minneapolis next time.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

We have family who recently moved to Minneapolis, hence the visit. Looking forward to more adventures up there!