Search

louisiana

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
louisiana

Hi i am planning to go to Loisiana in February with my husband. We will spend most of our time in New Orleans . What are the must do things in new Orleans and what are some day trips we could do in the surrounding cities? thanks
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 04:06 PM

Take a swamp tour. Original Honey Island Swamp Tour | New Orleans, Louisiana
This is what we saw when we were there: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjNagXL8
I also wrote a trip report; click on my name if you want to find it.
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m going to look at your trip report and will let you know if I have other questions
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 05:10 PM

The World War II Museum is fantastic. The sculpture gardenin City Park is great (as are the beignets at Morning Call in the park). We took a very enjoyable guided bike tour with Freewheelin Bike Tours (on Rampart),which meandered through many neighborhoods and historical locations. Several years ago we toured Laura Plantation which we thought worthwhile. At night, hit Frenchman Street for music and drinks.
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 02:24 PM

Trip reports from a couple years ago. NOLA attractions (scroll down later in the thread to see what I actually did):

New Orleans itinerary

and NOLA food experiences:

New Orleans foof experience

You could easily spend over a week in NOLA alone and have plenty to do.
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 02:24 PM

Part of the fun in New Orleans is just wandering around the French Quarter - make sure to see Jackson Square and the St Louis Cathedral, go up on the levy and look at the river.

For tours, I like Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Co (https://www.tourneworleans.com/main.html) and the Confederacy of Cruisers bike tours (https://confederacyofcruisers.com/).
If you are interested in local beer, Brews Cruise is a lot of fun (https://www.brewscruise.com/neworleans/)

If you like historic homes, my favorites are the Herrman-Grimma house, Beauregard-Keyes House, and the 1850 House.

For museums, I like the Cabildo and Presbytere on both sides of the Saint Louis Cathedral, the Historic New Orleans Collection, and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art.

Riding the St Charles Street Car through the Garden Distric and then strolling through the Garden District is a great way to spend some time. If you like poking into small shops, Magazine Street is a lot of fun.

On my last trip to New Orleans, I went to the WWII Museum, which is amazing - we spent all day there though, so depending on your interest and how much time you have, you might want to visit or might not.

And of course the music - Frenchman Street is great, there are some good spots uptown too - that's where you'll tend to hear original music specific to New Orleans and southern Louisiana. Rock and Bowl is another good place, especially for zydeco. And of course Bourbon Street, which I happen to love. People bag on it for being terrible and touristy, but there is absolutely nothing else like it anywhere - which may be a good thing I like to go bar hopping - in and out of bars depending on what the music sounds like. You get a lot of cover bands on Bourbon and some of them are really good. And there are a few places like Maison Bourbon which have original jazz.
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks